AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can you guys help me understand the differences?

Edit: going to answer my own question...

I know LLT is tuned 15hz or lower and it's a large bass reflex. Due to low port tuni g, does not need a hpf. Acts like a ported enclosure above tuning, like sealed below it. Needs less power. Trade off is you get more extension in echamge for SPL at higher frequencies.

SLLT is Structural LLT, so it's built in like an Infinite baffle except it is a tuned bass reflex.

EBS Extended bass shelf -3 or -6.... Not sure on these...yet

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
All of them are just forum names for the classic EBS alignment. Not much to worry about.

However, all EBS enclosures, regardless of the name used, go dipole below tuning. Just like any other vented box. None of them stay monopoles. Only closed boxes and 4th order bandpasses (including variants such as the "front loaded horn") stay monopoles.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Pick your poison. Its just a starting point. You also need to decide how low to tune it, how big a box and vent you need in addition to the alignment. You might als include in the model any room gain or boundary support you will get in its intended placement in your room. Play with the model, trying different box and vent sizes and alignments and tuning frequencies until you get something that looks good. Post some of your results here and you may get some feedback...

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
So if I wanted to model an si18 in this alignment, do I model the ebs -3 or ebs -6?
I'm sorry. I don't know what that means.

"Alignments" are really obsolete concepts. Play with port tuning and box volume until you get the response you want, with reasonable excursion.

Also, make sure to TURN ON vent resonance modeling. Many EBS type subwoofer cabinets color the upper bass because they have huge port resonances. For my tastes, a vent is basically never good enough. If I wanted a resonant enclosure - I don't; sealed multisubs provide adequate headroom at all levels for my tastes - I'd use PR's.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry. I don't know what that means.

"Alignments" are really obsolete concepts. Play with port tuning and box volume until you get the response you want, with reasonable excursion.

Also, make sure to TURN ON vent resonance modeling. Many EBS type subwoofer cabinets color the upper bass because they have huge port resonances. For my tastes, a vent is basically never good enough. If I wanted a resonant enclosure - I don't; sealed multisubs provide adequate headroom at all levels for my tastes - I'd use PR's.
Winisd has two presets/alignments/"ways of recommending what your box and tuning could be" that say EBS -3 and the other option is EBS -6. That's what I meant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts