Check out our review of Echoes, a supernatural thriller that blurs the lines of reality, sanity and truth.
The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:
Extras:
Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Anchor Bay - 2015
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 88 minutes
Genre: Drama, Thriller. Horror

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Steven Brand, Kate French, Billy Wirth and Steve Hanks
Directed by: Nills Timm
Written by: Nills Timm
Music by: Dre Nitze
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 14, 2015
"The Truth Is A Nightmare"
My Take:

Echoes is the story of Anna (Kate French) who is a blogger and aspiring screenwriter who has been having sleep-paralysis induced visions. She and her boyfriend/agent travel to Joshua Tree and stay in his isolated vacation home, but soon after arriving he is called back to LA on business. Anna takes the opportunity to stay there alone to clear her mind and get some work done. Her sleep issues get worse and she starts seeing visions of a mysterious figure. As the her issues intensify, her boyfriends arrives back and the visions start to point to uncovering a long buried secret.

Echoes plot is pretty pedestrian and considering its limited budget, very few locations and slowly unfolding narrative, it really need strong acting to keep the viewers attention. The lead Anna played by Kate French was as boring and monotone as could be. Her fear and the threat of her sleep paralysis was never palpable, and I was never invested in her or her boyfriend. Echoes was a boring 85 minutes that never thrilled, scared or really delivered on any level. Pass.

Parental Guide:

Adult thematic elements and brief strong language

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:REFERENCE= 92-100/EXCELLENT= 83-91/GOOD= 74-82/AVERAGE= 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE= under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
Video: 78
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:
Echoes comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22.8 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

Echoes video is passable but a bit on the bland side. The over-all look is sterile and clean but not as detailed is it should be. Blacks fight and are on the grayer side showing some compression issues. The audio is a bit better with well mixed surround channels and clear dialogue. There are not many moments for it to dig deep and low and show off dynamics, but I never found anything to complain about.

Bonus Features:
  • No Bonus Content
Final Thoughts:

Echoes was a boring and non engaging horror/thriller that never could grab my attention. Passable audio and video are rounded off by a release that has no extra features at all. Not worth wasting your time.
(Short URL)[/URL][/TD][/TR]
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS4910 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Falcon Screens Horizon 138" 2.35:1 Acoustically Transparent Screen
Da-Lite Pro Imager Projector Screen Masking System
Yamaha CX-A5000 Pre/Pro
Parasound Halo A51 & A21 7x250
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad Gold Monitors
Triad Silver Surrounds x4
Triad Bronze Subwoofers x4
Panamorph DC1 Anamorphic Lens
AudioQuest Wires

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 3D 1080p Plasma
Anthem MRX-310-AV Receiver
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
Triad Bronze Subwoofer