AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung 507 that has DVI input and RGB input the stb has only rgb would it be better to hook up the stb via componet or the rgb connection. What would the picture quality difference be of these 3 connection methods.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Well, the 6000 doesn't support DVI, which rules that method out to begin with.

If the 507s only analog input option is RGB then it doesn't matter which connection type is superior, as your only option is RGB.

I'm using RGB out into a Philips HD set from an Echostar 6000 at the moment and the results are quite good.

Regards,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tv has componet inputs which is what I am using. I was wondering if the picture would be better using the RGB input on the tv.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I'm sorry, you weren't particularly clear in your first post.

It's something you would have to judge for yourself.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I think the consensus is that RGB and component inputs are identical quality. Both are capable of transmitting all of the HD picture. Given that, unless you already have a RGB cable, I would use the component because more devices, including DVD players, use component. The life time of the cable will probably be greater with component.

Also the 6000 comes with a free component cable.

Just my opinion.

Rick R

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I am using the 6000 box - and there def. is a difference in quality in the picture. I spent extra bucks to get a high quality RGB cable (the 6000 gives you a choice for HDTV of RGB or component). The component pic. on our 42" Panny plasma is much better than that via the RGB cable.

...mike

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R
The life time of the cable will probably be greater with component.
Rick - Could you explain this?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I kind of quessed that the componet and RGB would be similar they are both analog. Why does a HD tunner not include a digital connection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.