AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
Moving to the HDTV Hardware Forum.

The Dish 6000 does not have an 8VSB modulator bulit into it, but it does have an accessory 8VSB module available for your local DTV reception. The price is about $150, it fits into an opening in the back of the 6000.

·
Registered
695 Posts
To add to Ken's comments, installing the 8vsb tuner module is a snap, much easier than installing new memory in a computer, IMHO. It took me less than 5 minutes to remove the back plate, slide the tuner in, and then re-tighten the screws. Aside from a noisy fan that runs all the time (which is a problem, from what I've heard, on a number of STB's), it works great. The current Dish 6000 software allows you to scan for local digital and analog stations, which is really nice (if all of your transmitters are located in the same general area :) )

·
Registered
943 Posts
I can not hear the fan on my 6000 receiver's OTA module over the hard drive noise from my SA TiVo. :D

Jerry

·
Registered
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffGoos
Please confirm. Does this "8VSB" module do NTSC/analog and the VHF band?
Yes. The optional 8VSB tuner for the Echostar 6000 does VHF, UHF, Cable and digital TV.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting. Does anyone know what chip set is used?

It's my understanding (could be wrong) that the most current chip sets use the Broadcom set. They have about 6 dB better sensitivity than the previous generation.

Can anyone out there confirm the picture quality, signal sensitivity, lock time? Did I forget anything?

Thanks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Please confirm. Does this "8VSB" module do NTSC/analog and the VHF band?
Yes, it does, but not very well. I use the tuner in my TV when I viewing NTSC, rather than the tuner module in my 6000, as the picture is noticeably better. It works, but if you're picky about PQ, you'll want to split your incoming antenna signal, and tune with your TV's tuner. My wife prefers the convenience of the integrated guide though, and tunes regular TV with the 6000. When the module first came out, the software would only tune channels 14-69 on UHF, not on cable, but I believe later versions of the software added support for cable. If it matters, check this because I'm not sure about my information.

And, just to be anal, it's really a demodulator, not a modulator, right?

-Jonathan

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quote:
Does this thing do TV channels 2-13?
Yes. The current software release handles cable, VHF, and UHF as previously reported. And I think it's a pretty good box, especially considering the cost.

I don't watch ANY NTSC using the 8vsb box. All of my locals are broadcast in DTV, and as a backup, I pay $11/month for lifeline cable. If you subscribe to the local package on Dish, you'll hardly ever need to tune in any NTSC stations.

Based on what I've read from others who own more expensive STB's, I think the Dish 6000 8vsb tuner is one hell of a deal and pretty reliable. I have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone out there confirm the picture quality, signal sensitivity, lock time? Did I forget anything?
Picture quality on digital is excellent. Analog is poor, but who cares, you buy the thing for its digital capabilities and in that department it works fine.

Signal sensitivity and lock time are both very acceptable.

Alex

·
Registered
58 Posts
I find that the analog signals look as good (sometimes better) than the national network feeds and I'm using a $25.00 Radio shack rooftop antenna. In fact...if I take my antenna signal directly to my TV (Toshiba 65H80) I think the picture is better than the digital network feeds from Dish. I just like the convenience of the local analog in the EPG....my two cents....

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have 3 OTA receivers, the 6000 ota mod, Sony KW34HD1 receiver, and TOS DST3000, all connected to an amplified antenna through a three way splitter. The 6000 is far better receiving distant signals. The DST3000 is the weakest by far (65% for 6000 at 57 miles from station vs 12% to 16% for 3000). Sd on the 6000 HD component outputs are faded, but using the Svideo output for SD signal works fine. HD signals are superb.

JohnW

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
jhue,

You are implying the module only does UHF, not VHF. Does this thing do TV channels 2-13?
Sorry I wasn't clear. As others have already said, it does tune VHF. CBS-HD where I live is on channel 8, not on UHF, and the module pulls it in better than any analog channel (channels 3, 5, 7, 10, and 13 where I live). I was just pointing out a channel tuning limitation in some early software. It's not a very good NTSC tuner, but for some, the convenience outweighs any degradation in PQ. And if you're receiving locals from Dish, anything's an improvement.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think as far as analog reception is concerned, your antenna will have a much greater effect than the choice of tuner. I've compared analog tuners in the 8vsb module, a Matrox PC card and a 5 year old Sony Trinitron. I believe the 8vsb does a little better than the Sony and the PC card is not too far behind. A big improvement was had when I upgraded my antenna (especially for UHF analog channels). I started with a rooftop Radio Shack combo and was suffering from ghosts on UHF and interference on VHF (your typical FM interference). I replaced the UHF portion with a Winegard 9085, reduced the number of elements on the VHF portion to 4, added a mast-mounted pre-amp (a CM 7778 with a build in FM trap) and raised the whole thing another five feet higher. Now my UHF comes in much better (almost as well as a strong VHF signal) and the VHF PQ is better than cable. I'm about 15 miles from the tower but surrounded by trees and hills.

Ofcourse, the only time I watch VHF analog is when tuning into the local PBS station (not DTV yet). I often watch UHF analog (FOX, WB, PAX, and a few others). The big networks are digital which come in extremely well with great color and clarity. And ofcourse the OTA HD stuff from CBS and ABC is outstanding (you will not see a better PQ anywhere else on some of this stuff).

Like everyone else I do notice the soft picture when watching non-HD digital via the component outputs. I believe the upconversion can be improved and most newer TVs will do a better job of this if you feed them via the S-Video inputs. I hope they correct this problem in a future software upgrade.

I can stronly recommend this receiver. But if you want good OTA analog, you should be more concerned with your antenna.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
It's not a very good NTSC tuner, but for some, the convenience outweighs any degradation in PQ.
I tune in my local WB analog via the 6000 8vsb and it looks as good as any analog I have ever seen. It definitely is far superior to anything I have seen off AT&T cable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just did a quick hook up of the 6000 with OTA module no sat dish set up yet. When I acess the set up menu and click on local channels it says you need a OTA module call dish. Must the sat dish be wired up in order to make the OTA work. The manual says damage could ocurr to module and recevier if receiver not set up for download. Why would damage occurr to either

·
Registered
695 Posts
You have to get a signal on the receiver before you can do anything. The Dish 6000 requires that you receive a signal from the satellite and then download the operating system and setup (this is done automatically, check your installation instructions)

Once the download is complete and the receiver is online, you'll be able to set up your local channels. Incidentally, the Dish 6000 still requires a satellite signal to use the OTA module. Both of either of these situations is the root of your problem.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsiegel
Must the sat dish be wired up in order to make the OTA work.
Yes.

Quote:

The manual says damage could ocurr to module and recevier if receiver not set up for download. Why would damage occurr to either
Older versions of the software (before the module was released) would not turn on the fan in the OTA module, so the module would overheat. That's why you should download the latest version of the software. That'll happen automatically when you install your dish.

-Jonathan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.