AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand why, apparently, nobody here has mounted a campaign to encourage the FCC to approve the Echostar-DirecTV merger. http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/021129/media_hughes_fcc_2.html

IMO, the combined companies would have sufficient bandwidth to offer many additional HD channels. And, with more HD competition from DBS, cable and OTA companies would be forced to quicken their transitions to ATSC.

Let's mount an Email to FCC Chairman Powell and the other FCC members.

Powell can be reached at: http://www.fcc.gov/commissioners/powell/mkp_email.html

Abernathy: http://www.fcc.gov/commissioners/abernathy/mail.html

Copps: http://www.fcc.gov/commissioners/copps/mail.html

Martin: http://www.fcc.gov/commissioners/martin/mail.html

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I believe this merger is already dead in the water. The casket is just about

nailed and buried.

I was for it, but I believe the Cable Companies had to much political power.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hank,

There are a great many people who say if the merger took place HD tv would be plenty. Has that been really confirmed by anyone? It appears to me that if you take 2 sat companies and make them one, you create a problem in that if the level of service or quality drops what do you do then? There are a great many people that sub to DTV and put up with a crappy picture (Myself) for instance. But there are a great many people that also say screw DTV I'm going to Dish because the picture is better and it is. Take the option away and what do you have? Sure sat is always gonna be better then cable, but I have had DTV for 6 years and have noticed the last 4 years the picture continues to get worse and worse. But I have spent thousands of dollars on HD receivers and am not about to toss them out the window :)

Blade

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would be very concerned about this merger, less competion, higher rates. Look what the banking industry has done us Buy out after buyout lower int rates and higher and higher charges where they are raking in millions. There are many more comparisons, the cable industry, many of these companies were on the verge of going under until they were deregulated. A lot of these companies have become monopolies in their respective states, thought monopolies are illegal, their rates are climbing faster than inflation. IF THEY HAVE NO COMPetition -------Look out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
With the FCC and the Dept of Justice opposing the merger it is about as likely as Sinclair announcing all of its stations will be digital and at full strength by 1/1/03.

While Dish and DirecTV are competitors some joint venture projects on satellites could benefit both of them and the consumer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Washington Post reported yesterday that *E had filed an amended proposal witht the FCC for the merger. No details on changes in the amended proposal and I do not have the link. Was posted in the business section.

Happy Holidays

Bruce

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The merger is like the dead people in "The Sixth Sense". The people who are dead don't know it, but, hey, that doesn't mean they aren't dead.

Forget the merger (which I actually was in favor of).

mark

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Report this morning said both Echostar and Hughes were both willing to sell frequencies to Cablevision to make it a viable satellite system...

The top two satellite television companies told the Federal Communications Commission they would be willing to sell Cablevision Systems Corp. (CVC: Research, Estimates)'s 62 frequencies so it could be better positioned to launch its rival satellite service, a plan the companies claimed was much broader than one presented to antitrust authorities a month ago.

The rest of the story is here:

http://money.cnn.com/2002/11/29/news...reut/index.htm

·
Registered
524 Posts
My apologies if this has been discussed previously, but doesn't it sound like all the frequencies that represented duplication of service will be gone and not available for HDTV expansion? All we get is less choice and less choice of hardware - right? Instead of D*/E* choice, we get E*/cable sat. And it doesn't seem to preclude a buyer for E* to me, either...

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Combine the two sat providers to reduce duplicate bandwidth useage, then sell off the excess bandwidth to create another competitor that will duplicate the bandwidth useage. What about this sounds silly?

How would Cablevision's sat venture be a better competitor for Echostar than DirecTV?

·
Registered
155 Posts
What would be really ironic is if Fox buys DirecTV and then Echostar folds through bankruptcy. Then you would have a world wide skypower owned by former Australian Rupert Murdoch with no competition in the satellite arena in the U.S.

Fitzie

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think a merger deal will happen except it will involve K. Rupert Murdoch. I believe that he probably had a role in the Feds decision process. He certainly has the polital contacts and contributions in place for some influence.

I believe that if you could follow the money on this one it would be interesting.

Possibly the main issue is whether GM will agree to a deal with Mr. Murdoch, if so, then the feds will do the statutory minimum and declare their support.

By the way check out http://www.newscorp.com and look around for HDTV information.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think the merger was a terrible idea to begin with. First, you're assuming that a monopoly satellite provider will do business the way you would prefer. That's very optimistic. Second, Dish has always seemed to me to be a marginally capitalized operation. I think it's a real roll of the dice whether Dish can actually afford to acquire DirecTV and continue as a viable business. (Then Murdoch comes in and buys the whole kit and kaboodle--what a cheery thought.) At best, I think you would see a number of years of pretty awful service subsequently as the company cut every corner possible to make ends meet.

Fortunately, it's not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
Report this morning said both Echostar and Hughes were both willing to sell frequencies to Cablevision to make it a viable satellite system...
That's really just a bad joke, however, and fortunately the FCC knows it. Cablevision is in a severe cash crunch and is gradually dismembering itself in an effort to keep its head above water. Giving it frequencies effectively amounts to putting them into cold storage. Plus, think about it: If Cablevision had the potential to establish a genuinely competitive satellite operation, why wouldn't Dish just buy it instead of DirecTV? It would be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tsmit32
I think a merger deal will happen except it will involve K. Rupert Murdoch. I believe that he probably had a role in the Feds decision process. He certainly has the polital contacts and contributions in place for some influence.
Possibly, but (and I am no Murdoch fan) I think that's the least of it. It was astonishing that Hughes accepted Echostar's offer over Murdoch's to begin with, because the probability of regulatory approval was clearly very low. It is just too glaringly anticompetitive. Even if regulatory approval had come through, you have to figure there would have been years of antitrust suits.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I think that one thing is clear - if there was enough public demand for HDTV someone would have a dish network that is 100% HDTV.

The fact that some people are switching to the Canadian sat may force the present companies to go after that market if it gets bigger.

I also believe that if the merger had gone through - there would not have been much emphasis to provide HDTV programing. It would have been cheaper to add more local stations with the lower resolution.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think most of you folks missed the key point in this latest merger attempt. If Dish was to stop all merger efforts before Jan 20, 2003 Dish will have to pay GM $600M. If DirecTV stops, GM pays E* $600M. It's cheaper to keep the lawyers working until then.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Erickson
I think most of you folks missed the key point in this latest merger attempt. If Dish was to stop all merger efforts before Jan 20, 2003 Dish will have to pay GM $600M. If DirecTV stops, GM pays E* $600M. It's cheaper to keep the lawyers working until then.
Echostar will still have to pay Hughes if the merger doesn't go through, unless Hughes starts trying to block it (which it won't).

·
Registered
619 Posts
The satellite companies would be better off forgeting about LiL and work on an antenna/receiver combo that would receive the local ATSC stations in addition to their satellites. That way, they're not "wasting" Ku bandwidth with hundreds of duplicate and near-duplicate feeds and people can still "cut-the-cable" and get their locals, some in HD, which never is going to happen via satellite.

How about an active, multi-plane, phased-array antenna, controlled by the receiver, that can "hunt" for the best signal available from a local ATSC station, then store those parameters into flash so they can be recalled when tuning in that station? Variable amplification for each ATSC channel so you wouldn't have to worry about overloading on close stations, yet goosed for distant stations. Also, an active band-pass filter so nearby stations wouldn't interfere with the desired signal. Either that, or put the ATSC signal into the digital domain and attack it with a kick-arse DSP:)...

Of course, I'm no antenna guru, but if you just went after UHF stations, the size should be able to be made small enough to not arouse the neighbors' sense of disgust.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxbat

How about an active, multi-plane, phased-array antenna, controlled by the receiver, that can "hunt" for the best signal available from a local ATSC station, then store those parameters into flash so they can be recalled when tuning in that station? Variable amplification for each ATSC channel so you wouldn't have to worry about overloading on close stations, yet goosed for distant stations. Also, an active band-pass filter so nearby stations wouldn't interfere with the desired signal. Either that, or put the ATSC signal into the digital domain and attack it with a kick-arse DSP:)...
Would you be willing to pay ~$4000 for such a receiver?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.