AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Dish 6000 receiver, and both Dishes today. The best place for unobstructed mounting is in the very back of my yard. I installed 4 runs of quad RG6, so I am ready to install the dishes.

The easiest placement of the dishes is a 4x4 fence post at the corner of my yard. Can I mount the two dishes so that one is above the other? I was thinking of putting the HDTV dish above the Dish 500 dish. Will this work? Is there any height requirement for the lowest dish? Normally I would not think it was an issue, but when I had wireless Internet installed at work, they said that the ground causes a "Frenzel Zone", and that the wireless antenna needed to be well above the ground, but that antenna transmits as well as receives.

SM

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Swampfox:
I just got my Dish 6000 receiver, and both Dishes today. The best place for unobstructed mounting is in the very back of my yard. I installed 4 runs of quad RG6, so I am ready to install the dishes.
If you are only running 1 receiver you'll only need 1 RG6.

Quote:
The easiest placement of the dishes is a 4x4 fence post at the corner of my yard. Can I mount the two dishes so that one is above the other? I was thinking of putting the HDTV dish above the Dish 500 dish. Will this work?
As long as you can "see" the satellites, that is just fine.

Quote:
Is there any height requirement for the lowest dish?
Again, as long as you can "see" the satellite, you should be fine. I've seen lazy people leave dishes "installed" on the ground just sitting there. I wonder if dogs pee on them. Not the best place for an installation since anyone can walk in front of the beam and stop it.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided not to put the switches at the dish, but instead they are near the receivers. Doing this, you need 4 cable runs for two receivers. This allows a greater cable run than the other method, and is more in line with a distributed cabling concept. Once I fished the first run, the remaining were very easy. And if I understand the switch issue correctly, I can replace the SW21 switches with a SW 64 and add receivers to my hearts content.

SM

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Make sure you install a ground block right before you enter the house.

Glenn

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Swampfox - what are you installing (i.e number of recievers, switches , LNB's, Dishes (obviously 1 -18" for 61.5)) ? What programming do you plan on getting ? Is future expansion a possibility ? How long of run for each location to the dishes ?

I can think of cases where the 4 runs of coax are plenty, and another where you might need two more runs. I agree about the need to ground before entering your house, and also about your decision to put the switch(es) inside.

More details please !!

·
Registered
118 Posts
You should be fine on the ground, because you are staring up. I've seen many homes around my area with dishes on the ground and on 4x4 posts. "Frenzel Zone"? Do you mean "Fresnel"? I've only seen this applied to optics and diffraction. Again, you should be fine. You probably won't need to ground the dish since you are so low, but definitely tie the coaxes to a discharge unit and tie it to your service ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.