AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a current Dish Network subscriber (in my first year) and my contract states that I have to stay with them until June. However, I can change my plan to be the smallest plan they offer and stay within my contract.

Having said that. I want an HD PVR.

My question is: Should I get the DVR-921 now and stick with Dish Network or wait for DirecTivo HD to come out and buy that and switch to DirecTV?

Here's are my considerations:
  • I'd have to pay for two services at the same time for a couple or few months. There would be overlap between the release of the DirecTivo HD and the end of my E* contract.
  • DirecTivo HD will have name based recording.
  • DirecTivo HD will have the Tivo software which is "probably" user friendlier and virtually bulletproof.
  • DirecTV will have a couple more HD channels than Dish Network. Including the all important Spice HD. Charlie has been giving some very broken promises (release of the 921, additional HD channels, etc.) and it seems like DirecTV has really been surpassing them in this area lately.
  • I don't care about locals as I get them off of a terrestrial antenna and I have an HD tuner in the TV.

I think that's all of the things that I will have to consider. Are there any other things I should be thinking about?

What do you think? Stick it out with Dish Network or jump ship to DirecTV?

PS. I really don't want to turn this into a company war. If you don't have anything constructive to say about either company, this isn't the thread for you. I don't give a crap about loyalty to a specific company. They do everything they can to increase profit margins by taking it out of my pocket.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You forgot one advantage for the HD-TiVo. It has a second HD OTA tuner so it can record 2 OTA channels at the same time. The 921 only has 1. You may also want to browse the threads in the HDTV Recorders forum. With all the problems the 921 has (and it's been in development for almost 3 years) there is no way I would pay anywhere near $1k for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.