AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to get Echostar here in Canada, and i'm wondering if there is any way that i can receive Canadian local channels too? There are a few that i could use, such as the local 24/7 news channel which i use for weather. I once saw an antenna on eBay that hooks up to the top of a dish and enables the local channels. Not sure how it works though, it could have been just a regular antenna conceniently designed to sit on top of the dish.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
You're correct. It's just a regular antenna that snaps on your dish. Since they are snapped into place and not adjustable, you may not be able to get an optimal signal. Besides keeping a lifeline cable, an antenna is the cheapest way to go.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The effectiveness of the snap-on antenna is highly dependent on your location and distance from the xmitting tower(s). Since these antennas are omnidirectional, multipath ("ghosting") may be a problem, too. If you suspect you're in a marginal reception area for OTA reception, it might be a better plan to mount a proper directional antenna if that's an option for you.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
d!abolic what part of Canada do you line in?

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.