AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have over 40 gigs of .ape files. I don't want to have to redo this. What are people using for a good backup solution.

I am contemplating DVD-RW, CDRW, or some tape solution. I don't want to spend a lot, but the only solution I currently have is CDRW. High capacity tapes seem like the way to go, but I would like to hear what others are doing.

TIA,

Gary

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've got about 110 gigs of ape files so backing up to dvd or cd is out of the question. I finally just slapped big HD in another pc on my home network and use a synchronizing app (SmartSync Pro) to back up the files. Of course if both drives die at the same time, I'm screwed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have backed up 130 gigs of ape to dvd-r. It fit on to 30 blanks. It only took a few days. I fell pretty safe having them offline.

Now, when I accumulate 4.5 gb of ape, I burn it to dvd-r, then file it into my music folder.

This solution has worked well for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
then setup a daily or weekly task to copy the files based on their archive-flag. I run this command to backup my \\data folder to a backup folder on a computer named bigpappa.

xcopy \\data \\\\bigpappa\\bigpappa.bak /M /S /V /H /R /Y >> backup.log

I like the idea of having the machine in a seporate physical computer, just in case...I've got alittle over 100gig of APE files on a 200gig drive.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I use high capacity tapes from www.onstream.com. I find that the backups go reasonably quickly. Tapes are a lot more durable than hard drives, although they tend to work out to be a bit more expensive as a backup solution. One thing you might want to consider in your backup solution is whether you need offsite backups. RAID5 and other hard drive backup solutions don't help you in cases of robbery or theft. Tapes are easy to transport offsite (I keep my tapes at work).

That being said though, some of the new high capacity laptop hard drives when combined with a USB 2.0 or Firewire external case can be a viable replacement for a tape based solution.

Cheers

Lester

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.