AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right place to post this question? I am about to set up a SONOS system for streaming music while my PC is switched off. I will be limiting the NAS device to CD rips (primarily FLAC files), my network is VERY simple: a single Win 7 box (I already have an IOmega standalone drive dedicated for backup purposes).


Looking for input on an easy to set up, economical box? I have heard someone recommending a Western Digital product called: My Book Live (1Tb "cloud" storage?)


Anyone have experience with this WD unit, or an alternative "easy to set-up and use" suggestion?

Thanks in Advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Well under $100...

Get an Asus WL-520GU, flash it with Teddy Bear Tomato, and attach a USB hard drive.

Right now I have an NSLU2 running Unslung and Firefly, but that involves a little more tinkering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos /forum/post/20885975


Well under $100...

Get an Asus WL-520GU, flash it with Teddy Bear Tomato, and attach a USB hard drive.

Right now I have an NSLU2 running Unslung and Firefly, but that involves a little more tinkering.

I will check these out - Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
drcos,


Did some quick research and came away with some questions:

1) Is there any reason the WL-520GU would not work with it's existing firmware?


2) Also when I get home tonight I will need to check the model number of my fairly new D-link wireless router. Last night I realized that it also has a USB port. I wonder if I could combine it with a spare WD 160Gb USB drive that I already have? Perhaps I already have what is needed to create an NAS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
The WD will work - but I suggest you set you sights a bit higher. I took the plunge and got a Synology Disk Station 211J when I got my Sonos, and I've never regretted it. The transfer speeds over FTP alone are worth every extra penny, and the built in features are excellent.

It sits on the back table and blinks - and never, ever fails to play the song I pick.

5 Months up time and counting.


I know it costs more, but that Sonos ain't cheap either - don't introduce a weak link.


Oh - and those USB ports on routers (built in NAS) are roundly thumped by every reviewer as slow, unstable, and very limited.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin BC /forum/post/20887027


The WD will work - but I suggest you set you sights a bit higher. I took the plunge and got a Synology Disk Station 211J when I got my Sonos, and I've never regretted it. The transfer speeds over FTP alone are worth every extra penny, and the built in features are excellent.

It sits on the back table and blinks - and never, ever fails to play the song I pick.

5 Months up time and counting.


I know it costs more, but that Sonos ain't cheap either - don't introduce a weak link.


Oh - and those USB ports on routers (built in NAS) are roundly thumped by every reviewer as slow, unstable, and very limited.

Synology Disk Station?

Thanks - I'll have to check it out ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin BC
The WD will work - but I suggest you set you sights a bit higher. I took the plunge and got a Synology Disk Station 211J when I got my Sonos, and I've never regretted it. The transfer speeds over FTP alone are worth every extra penny, and the built in features are excellent.

It sits on the back table and blinks - and never, ever fails to play the song I pick.

5 Months up time and counting.


I know it costs more, but that Sonos ain't cheap either - don't introduce a weak link.


Oh - and those USB ports on routers (built in NAS) are roundly thumped by every reviewer as slow, unstable, and very limited.
I'm sure the Synology is a fine product, but I just wanted to let you know that the WD will work fine for what you've described and is cheap. I've been using one with Sonos for 20 months with zero downtime.


Now if you might want to expand the capabilities of your network down the road, then something like the Synology or other more capable products might be a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
I only mention the Teddy Bear mod for the Asus, as it's basically Linux, so I could run Firefly (mt-daapd) on it to feed an old Roku Soundbridge.

For just a simple, inexpensive fileserver, many of the routers with USB should work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup /forum/post/20890504


I'm sure the Synology is a fine product, but I just wanted to let you know that the WD will work fine for what you've described and is cheap. I've been using one with Sonos for 20 months with zero downtime..

jgiddyup,

I do like the idea of eventually migrating to a more robust Synology type solution. However for now:


Are you confirming that you are running a WD drive connected by USB to a D-Link-655 router with success (as your NAS solution)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos /forum/post/20892366


I only mention the Teddy Bear mod for the Asus, as it's basically Linux, so I could run Firefly (mt-daapd) on it to feed an old Roku Soundbridge.

For just a simple, inexpensive fileserver, many of the routers with USB should work.

drcos - Thanks Again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 /forum/post/20892894


jgiddyup,

I do like the idea of eventually migrating to a more robust Synology type solution. However for now:


Are you confirming that you are running a WD drive connected by USB to a D-Link-655 router with success (as your NAS solution)?

Cruz,


The WD I mention is a network drive which would plug directly into your router via ethernet.


The current version is the MyBook Live. 2TB for $140 or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
cuzed2,

You haven't mentioned how much storage you want/need and if you want the ability to expand that storage.


I am using a NetGear NV+ to hold my FLAC music with my SONOS. The NV+ has room for four 2 TB drives. You could start with as little as two drives and expand on the fly by just adding another drive. Or, you can quickly learn (like I did) that one NV+ with four 2TB drives was not enough and buy a second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhays /forum/post/20911109


cuzed2,

You haven't mentioned how much storage you want/need and if you want the ability to expand that storage.


I am using a NetGear NV+ to hold my FLAC music with my SONOS. The NV+ has room for four 2 TB drives. You could start with as little as two drives and expand on the fly by just adding another drive. Or, you can quickly learn (like I did) that one NV+ with four 2TB drives was not enough and buy a second.

jmhays,


Thanks for responding. I almost went with a multiple drive/raid arrangement (and probably well some day way down the road).


However; being brand new to anything network related (and cheap): I ordered a 2Tb WD my book "cloud drive" for my NAS. I decided this would be the simplest and cheapest device to learn, and stream from.


My plan: I will store my original FLAC rips on my standard USB backup drive, and from there I will store an identical FLAC library and an MP3 library on the WD NAS (should give me the peace of mind that at least the FLAC's are stored on 2 separate drives)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top