AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would advise you to read the ReplayTV forum.

They don't mention that you need service with the product. That is extra.

SonicBlue has been bought by Denon and Manritz(?) at bankruptcy.

I hope that helps.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The activation problem made the news, just google if you care. I think the boxes were marked wrong or something. oops, forgot the fee!

·
Registered
441 Posts
From the ReplayTV FAQ :

Quote:
Can I use an un-activated unit as a digital VCR?

No. Once the grace period has expired, activation is required to use a unit for anything other than a space heater or boat anchor.

Submitted by: jtl

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RalphWonderLama
I would advise you to read the ReplayTV forum.

They don't mention that you need service with the product. That is extra.

SonicBlue has been bought by Denon and Manritz(?) at bankruptcy.

I hope that helps.

Cheers.
But once you live with one, you'll never want to live without it. My technophobe wife will not use the TV anymore, just the RTV.

They are right about the activation, it is mandatory either monthly or lifetime. I use the monthly option.

Networking on this model only works inside your network (i.e. with your other RTVs and PCs, not across the internet. But that still meets my needs.

The USB port is NOT active (not even connected). Most people seem to use wireless connections through bridges to their network these days.

Lots of tools to enable network xfrs, editing (commercial removal) and burning to DVD.

If you can find one, I'd go for an older 5xxx (e.g. 5040) model rather than the 55xx (5504), as it will give you automatic commercial advance, too. But these are getting much harder to find these days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.