Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almighty AVS furum,

I have an ECP 3000 The image jumps on both the menu and the image at random. The jumping reminds me of when an actual movie projector messed up and displayed a double image until a little lever was tripped. I guess I'm dating myself.... So there is a jumpy, double image about 2-3 scan lines apart vertically. This appears to be totally random, and can go 2-3 minutes or 2-3 milliseconds between jumps It's

actually quite maddening!

I was trying to isolate the problem, and when I pulled the video input module, the jumping of the onscreen menu stopped for that input. I had originally thought that I had locatted the problem, but playing around today, I found that the menu and image jump on the RGB board even if the video board is removed.

Because the menu and /or image is stable with the selected input module removed, I wonder if the problem is the input module itself or something with the interface betwoon the two parts.

All of the boards have been pulled from their respective bays and reseated, along with a firm pusk on the chips. I also performed a hard reset by pressing Recall and then the little red button. The projector shut off and I had to go through a bit of convergence.

Does anyone here want to hazard a guess as to what's going on?

Oh, I have tried using the factory resistors on the BNC inputs without great success.

HELP!!!

Sean Connors

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, Update time...

I was bored and thought that I'd try my Sony VCR and see if it was much worse, and guess what? It worked!!!

So my Sony 7700 DVD player, with an original list price of around $1700.00 is out done by my $170.00 VCR!!!

I'm guessing that this is a signal strength issue. I moved the DVD closer and used the same Tributaries cable that works well with the VCR and no dice. Same as before.

Then, I figured I'd route the signal through the A/V receiver. The shaking is a bit better, but still there...

I'm thinking of going to rat shack to get a video amplifier... apparently my PJ likes cheap stuff!!!

Any comments?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Did you try the fast/slow sync adjustment toggle? That function is mostly for VCR sync timing problems.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Got a scope Jeep Lover?? I guess I'd look at the signal coming in and look at the syncs.

Do you have the vertical hold set to "auto"?? (seems like I remember that it doesn't work well at all for me if it's manual

though so probably not it).

Well, I guess a RS video amp is a cheap way to find out a little more about this problem.

Cary

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
You just answered your own question by telling me about the fast/slow sync issue. If you couldn't even display the image on one setting, but could got the image to display on the other setting, but with some flag waving remaining, then the problem is still unstable sync. This could be just that one tape, or the VCR's inability to process any of your tapes in a way that the PJ likes. The VCR in question may not have time base correction built in (requiring an outboard unit) or it might be slightly off enough to be out of the PJ's intended range for sync detection. You could scope out the front and back porch of the signal coming out of the VCR, but that's kind of a waste of time, since we already know that the PJ doesn't like your VCR signal. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Forgot to mention....Extron and others make a sync stabilizer or time base corrector (sima makes an affordable one of those) to clear up noisy, unstable VCR signals. You might check into that route if you're determined to use that same VCR. By the way, don't knock the $170 VCR too much; today's $170 VCR's are the equivalent of yesterday's $800 VCR's. It's amazing how much they've been able to mass integrate functions into just a few IC's that used to require several whole PC boards to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, I like the VCR signal just fine!!!

At least it doesn't twitch every milisecond like the DVD player!!! I REALLY want to get an aceptable with the Sony 7700.

If the DVD was nearly as stable as the VCR I'd be really happy! There has to be a way to get the signal to synch up without spending hundreds of dollars on a DVDO!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I sent the DVD player in for service. I told the tech the problem, ghow I trouble shot it, and that it is not detectable on a standard tv.

It'll take 2 weeks to have them look at it due to the holidays...

I hope this is the problem, as any other video sources (VCR, LD, Monitor out of the TV, and PC) are displayed just fine.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.