AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Long time reader, first time poster (don't you all love us?)

I recently received an Electrohome ECP 3100 pj. It appears to be in beautiful condition (no visible tube wear, no dust around the high voltage parts, etc). I am having a problem with the horizontal sync. My unit has both the RGBHV input (with an additional circular input on that card) and composite input card with two inputs on it. Using either the RGBHV or composit inputs, my vertical is syncing up fine to whatever scan rates I throw at it, but the horizontal will not auto lock. In addition, when I manally try to set the horizontal, I can get very close, but still cannot get the horizontal to lock (i.e. the display tells me that I am at 15.7 H and 59.9 V for NTSC, but the image is still off horizontally).

The odd thing is that the PJs internal menu displays completely fine, as do all on screen displays (control adjustments, convergence setup, menus, etc).

My friend who owns a Marquee 8000 says that it kind of looks like a horizontal phase issue, but adjusting the “H-Move†controls (which seem to control phase) on the PJ have no apparent effect, where the “V-Move†controls work properly

We re-seated all of the boards, tried all sorts of inputs and are left thinking there might be a small hardware problem. Oh, one more bit of information I can think of is that when you set the PJ to auto sync the horizontal, it auto locks to 21.6 +/- .2 no matter what the input scan rate. Also, the other thing I have noticed is that the LED that indicates if the projector is in High scan mode never comes on, and this is supported by me not being able to choose a Horizontal scan above 35.5, even when giving it a high res signal. I am not sure if this is part of the same problem. The Low Scan LED is continually lit.

My feeling is that there is a problem in the Horizontal deflection module, but I am without proper signal generating equipment to test it properly.

I tried running the computer through both a VGA to RGBHV cable, as well as an Extron RBG109 interface box which has RGB and Composite sync, but I have no idea how to use the Extron (it did seem pretty simple - only one switch).

So I am asking for your technical expertise in letting me know if I have a problem and if it is a show stopper, or reasonably easy to fix.

Projector details

ECP 3100 circa 1991

SD-187 tubes

Software version 2.2

Thanks for your time,

Leif

·
Registered
299 Posts
With these ECPs, the first thing you should always do when you get one is do a hard reset. I've seen a 3100 with this same problem and a hard reset got it going.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.