AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) How good can a ECP-4000 look When properly calibrated and focused?

2) What other projectors compare to the ECP-4000 in price range and performance?

3) At $3,600 with new CRTs is that a good deal?:confused:

·
Registered
625 Posts
1. The picture can be very pleasing. I had an ECP-4000 as my first projector (4 projectors ago).

2. The Sony 127x series projectors are probably in the same price range and are well liked here on the forum.

3. $3,600 is WAY too much IMHO for this projector even with new tubes. I'm not sure what the going rate is, but I'm sure it's considerably less.

Mark.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you do A LOT of research on this forum, you'll find that there are some members who tweak those things to output 1080P(!) and they say that the line overlap is minimal. I personally haven't seen it, so I can't comment, but I have a 4100 and a 4501... both are VERY good looking at 720P. You really need to spend the time and do the stig adjustments and tweak 'em to get a great looking 720P, but it certainly is possible. 600P is probably more average for that projector.

Don't go too large on your screen either. Use a respectable gain (1.3-1.5) and keep it around or under 80" wide. You'll blow friends away with the image quality if you spend the time.

$1000-$1200 would proabaly be an average price for an average projector... is you get one that's retubed, had a warranty, and will offer good continuing support, $1500-$2000 might not be bad. $3500 is pretty darn high if you ask me. You might find a pretty good Marquee 8000 in that price range.

Unless you can check out the projector and tubes personally-or KNOW the seller well, DON'T buy on eBay!

Oz

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does that mean that Hi-Rez Projections is way over priced? Their 4000s are listed at $4700. I thought they were pretty well respected on here, but if what you're saying is true, they're charging at least double what the projectors are worth.

I only ask because I recently (a few months ago) bought an ECP4101 from them for $4,000, so I'd like to know if I got screwed (not that it would do me any good at this point).

Their website, for those who don't know: http://www.hometheater1.com

-Nate

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nate,

I have a few questions for you if its ok with you?

1) Have you received good customer service from HI REZ ?

2) Have you had any problems with the projector?

3) Did they put new tubes?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Not to flare or anything, but I totally disagree with some of the price value estimations here. If you get an ECP that's been retubed and updated with a warranty, it is easily worth $3-5000, depending on the length of warranty given. There's a reason these things used to cost around $18,000 - they've got some pretty expensive parts in 'em to replace if they go bad. I wouldn't have a problem with that price to have some peace of mind and perfect tubes (and picture). Quite a good value to the right person (not looking to rebuild a clunker himself).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I purchased a ECP-4100 from Hi-Rez a few years ago for the same price. I defiantly could have found the projector cheaper, but their CS is outstanding. I had the box upgraded to the newest software and new Sony tubes installed. My first projector developed a problem after a few months where the picture would loose sync when the projector was cold. After it warmed up it would work fine. After a few card swaps, Hi-Rez sent their tech out. He could not find the problem, so Hi-Rez sent me another projector and their tech. We took down the old projector and installed the new one and calibrated free of charge.

I was told a few weeks later one of the RGB input cards was not working properly and was causing the CRT to have display problems. To me that extra $$ spent saved me a lot of aggravation and I had my HT back up and running a few weeks after the problem occurred.

I have since had an ongoing rapport with the owner and I use him exclusively for my HT equipment purchases. You could find the products they sell cheaper, but if you pick up the phone and call Hi-Rez, you will reach a human on the other end who is willing to help you. What a concept in todays day and age.

If you want any further info on Hi-Rez drop me an e-mail.

---Andy Garabedian

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Everyone reading these forums should KNOW by now that prices are VERY fluid. Prices are integrally linked to BACKUP. If you are willing to go it alone, prices can be very low. BUT you MUST be willing to give up all recourse that doesn't involve you doing the work and paying for the parts. If you want to have someone who stands behind a USED product better than they were supported new, then be prepared to PAY FOR IT! Price is not for hardware only. If you want to do every thing, and shoulder all the risk, then only pay the least you can. If you expect support after the purchase, pay for it. IMHO if you buy an ECP, buy from a reputable dealer.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Paul pretty much summed it up. Compared to eBay prices, yes $3600.00 is high, but Hi Rez not only changes the tubes, the software is upgraded and you get a projector that is backed up 100%.

Well worth it IMHO.

Curt

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I believe their standard warrantee is 2 years for a retubed and reconditioned projector. I think that's a year more than it was when new...

Chip S.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I also think, like Paul and Curt, that although the price seems very steep for this projector compared to what I'm used to seeing on eBay. Although I have not dealt with Hi Rez, it sounds like they give very good customer service, retube the set and stand behind it. That is certainly worth a considerable amount, especially if you can't work on it yourself.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The projectors from Hi-Rez are another matter completely. Those projectors ARE top notch, and the customer support is probably the best you could possibly find. Depending on the type of CRT user to indent to be, Hi-Rez would be a great deal.

Oz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.