AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a source of incredible confusion for me...for an electrohome ECP 4100, do I NEED a transcoder, or can I use a breakout cable from component to RGB?

I have read just about every thread on this, yet it is incredibly confusing as some people are talking about their transcoders, and others are talking about their breakout cables (not necessarily for the ecp).

I would much rather use a breakout cable since it is more wallet friendly. Can anyone tell me if it will work for the 4100?

If anyone has a definitive answer, please save my life.

-K

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi,

Afraid the answer is NO..... you can't use a breakout cable, and YES you do need a Transcoder.

The ecp inputs are for rgb h and v sync ONLY and aren't capable of handling component inputs.

Your confusion may lie in the fact that some of the newer lcd (bulb) projectors have vga (rgbhv) inputs that can accept a component input on the same socket. If a projector has that option then you only need a cable adapter. However, your ecp can't do that and you need a proper rgbhv source.

If you have a dvd player with a progressive component output then you'll need to get a Key Digital ctc-a2 transcoder (about $200) to convert component to rgbhv. Some dvd players (like the Skyworth...do a search on the dvd forum) and computers (htpc) have vga outputs and will allow you to feed the projector directly. If you have a pc it's easy to substitute your projector for the computer monitor to give this a try.

Since the video inputs on an ecp aren't very good, the ctc-a2 can also be used to convert an interlaced component signal to rgb hv.

For most sources the ecp will prefer a combined sync signal on the h/comp input. You can do this by using a bnc t-connector to join the h and v cables together.

(If you happen to be in europe and have scart rgb outputs from a dvd player, then you'll find that the sync voltage isn't high enough for the ecp to lock onto the rgb signal and you'll need a sync amplifier.)

Brian

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot guys. I guess I have to do the transcoder if I want component video.

For now though, I think I may get just a cheesebox like the viewsonic so I can input a wider variety of sources.

And I'm guessing the transcoders won't accept more than 480p, so I think I better wait for something that will take a variety of ATSC signals, or at least 720p and 1080i.

thanks again,

-K

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jay,

--Isn't that the vga to component model? and the "alternate product" listing on that page is also for a vga to component transcoder (just without the passthough?)

But shoot, if a transcoder was only $119 like this vga to component model I'd jump on it in a second over any cheesebox....

hmm...

-K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.