AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to do the setup more thorough this time but ...

I'm following the instructions by Mike Newman in thread

Link to thread

First some info on my setup:

Screen 240cmx135cm 16:9 format (about 94,49"x53,15") 1.0 gain

PJ on the floor at the moment 1,5x240cm from screen = 360cm

Feeding PJ from PC via RGBVH at 1024x768 60Hz

1. When doing the focus adjustments the picture suddenly jumped to the left so I couldn't see the numbers in the help menu any more. Then I powered off and on and the PJ was back to normal. Is something about to break??

http://www.geocities.com/nardjinku/ECP4100/snett.jpg

2. When I press the * star on the remote it shows some info.

http://www.geocities.com/nardjinku/ECP4100/version.jpg

It says it's an ECP 3000 Series but mine is an ECP 4100. Why is that? Is one of the boards switched to an older one? Also it says software version 2.2. Is that ok or should I get a newer version? Can I get a newer version??

3. After the mechanical focus I was about to start with the geometry on green but the menu is way outside the screen at top and bottom. Should it be like that or is there anything I can do about it. The screen is a 16:9 but I'd like to watch 4:3 material too. The screen is marked with a red rectangle in the following picture. Also when I adjust the 3 focus pots the green and blue has to be turned all the way to one side to get the best focus. Why's that? I actually would like to turn the blue a little bit further to get an even better focus.

http://www.geocities.com/nardjinku/ECP4100/utanfor.jpg

Sorry about the geocites pictures has to be loaded in another window to show up here. Anyone know a better place to store pictures to link to?

Hope someone with a little time left can help me out :)

Thanks, Henrik

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the same problem you describe with picture 1 (the picture looking down into the lens). The one where your image is spread out beyond the physical bounds of the lens.

If you search the forum you will find my thread on this same problem. After swaping out all the rear borads and trying EVERYING suggested by the most wise forum members they told me it should be my HVPS, thus my recent post on swaping them out :)

From your help on the HVPS thread, I see that you have already swapped out yours. Did your ECP have this problem before the HVPS went bad or is this a new problem (after the swap) ?

Since we have similar problems, I am wondering how frequent this combo of problems is and if anyone in the forum knows about them.

*BUMP*

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nardjinku, does the tag on the machine frame say it is a 4100? I had a similar problem when I got my 4000, the * info listed it as a 3000. I ended up replacing the remote board with a newer level of code.

As for the geometry problem where the help info is above and below the screen you will have to "squish" the raster down to fit the vertical dimension. You can use the V size button on the remote but you'll probably find that it won't be able to squish it far enough. You'll have to use the small pot on the back of the V defl and H Reg board (R118 I believe). You should also change the resolution of the HTPC to a 16:9 format so that the desktop won't be distorted, I use 540X960 at the moment.

4:3 material should be letter boxed with vertical bars on the left and right side. The DVD software player should manage that (TT does anyway) and if you are watching cable or satellite then Dscaler should perform the same function.

Focus might be caused by Stigmatism and Flare adjustments, search for one of Mikes threads labelled "Anyone doing ECP raster centering" or something like that which list the order in which things should be done. If it's not the stig and flare then the resistor on the focus board might be weak.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the leads! That helped me find a couple of other threads with things I will try out.

colemab:

Nop I didn't have the problem before I switched HVPS. The HVPS just went dead one day and it took me three months to get a new one. The old one was a Spellman (which is supposed to be better) and the new one is a Keltron. I just hope it's not a bad working Keltron HVPS that's causing my problems.

Chris:

Yes the label says it's a 4100 and the menus looks the same as described in the manual.

Will I benefit from upgrading to a newer software?

Will it be enough for me to get a new remote board or do I need to switch a number of other boards too?

What do you mean by week resistor and if I replace what Ohm should I have there when having red tube (SD-187) and green+blue (MD07)?

Today I will probably replace the Dallas chip today and maybe change the resistor in the bias/focus board to see if it helps. More info soon...

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
These were not designed for home entertainment. After a hard reset or starting from scratch the projector assumes it's projecting onto a 4:3 screen not a 16:9. After entering the help menu which is in green, you will have to reduce your vertical size via the size button on the remote so that the border surrounding the text is just visible. This will give you a good point from which to start. Make sure the projector is square to the screen, hard reset and start over.

Chip S.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Henrik,

Remeber how I had this problem when my HVPS went out?

If not here is the refresher.

1. PJ worked fine.

2. One day the PJ stopped throwing an image to the wall (still displayed image down in the tubes but not bright). The image that it did throw was just as your picture described, i.e. out side the bounds and could not be adjusted via the remote.

3. I replace the HVPS and powered it up, boom my problem was fixed, i.e. the HVPS cause it.

Maybe you should try adjusting the Pots (as described above) and adjusting the remote. Failing that I would consider finding the exact HVPS you need and trying that. I replaced my Spellman C3 (newer version from 94) with a Spellman B1 (old version from 92).

Chip has a very good point, these PJ default to a 4:3 ratio. If you have the RGBS - > VGA box then.

1. Hook your computer up to a montior.

2. Use power strip to set the res to a 16:9 ratio

3. Turn the HTPC off and hook it up the PJ

4. Now when you boot the HTPC it should pass a 16:9 ratio resolution to the PJ.

Good luck/Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday evening I replaced the Dallas chip. Very easy, took about 5 minutes in total. After power-up with new chip at first my remote did not work but after a Hard reset all was ok again.

Power-Strip does not seem to work on my Laptop PC from IBM with an S3 graphics card. It works but I can only set the resolutions to standard settings like 1024x768, 800x600 etc. At the moment I'm using [email protected]

Today I've started what I think is from scratch to mechanically setup the PJ. First a Hard reset,

next I've adjusted the space between metal frames (CRT and lens) to 1". Red was just a little off, green ok and blue 1/4" off.

After this I did a quick focus with lenses and

centered the raster on the screen (not on CTR) via moving lenses from left to right.

I've attached a picture of what it looks like now. The 3 colors are leaning a little differently. Is there anything I can do about this or do I have to use convergence menu to fix this?

Henrik

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some more info ... and stupid questions :)

I think I know why the picture jumped to the right. A bit silly but when the PC's Monitor turns off after 30 minutes inactivity the signal is lost to the PJ and the PJ looses it's signal to sync with. Silly huh :eek:

About the software version and version of the PJ. It's a 4101 and it says so on the sticker on the front too. I'm still wondering if it matters that when I press * on keyboard it says ECP 3000 series? Also can I upgrade to a newer software version, how it it done, is it worth it?

A pity TT does not work with my S3 SuperSavage/IX. I can only use standard computer resolutions 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600 & 640x480 :(

Today I have centered the raster horizontally on the CRT (first a hard reset off course. At the end of each horizontal raster line there is a brighter spot. This is at a 1024x768 resolution from the PC. The test pattern fits easily into the CRT area. What a bout the bright spots??

When I change source and feed the CRT directly from my Pioneer 535 DVD the raster lines suddenly goes outside the CRT at the sides. What can I do about that? Can it damage the PJ?

Next problem is the convergence. It's impossible to have red overlap green and blue on the left side of the screen in 1024x768. Also the vertical lines are vertical on the left side ( = ok) but leaning towards the middle of the screen on the right side. The convergence in 800x600 resolution is ok but vertical lines on right also lean towards middle of screen. I just can't make the geometry look ok. Any suggestions :confused:

Henrik

·
Registered
594 Posts
A software upgrade usually means that you replace one or more of the chips on the remote board. AVS member Pidd has done this on his ECP. The correct code might help with convergence.

During the setup you should first get the Green geometry correct by using the "keystone", "size", "pin" (left, right, top and bottom) to get a nice square image. Convergence should take care of the blue and red.

When you change to your set top DVD player is will use a different resolution to the PC which will account for the image jump...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.