AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to put a Keltron HVPS from an ECP 4000 in an ECP 4100?

Do I need to modify the Keltron HVPS in any way, the don't look exactly the same?

Henrik

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No responses so I went ahead and mounted the Keltron HVPS in my ECP 4100. It was a bit tricky to make the cables reach but I finally did it.

Then I sat there for maybe 10 minutes and finally I dared to turn the PJ on and ...

Yiiihaaa!!! It works!!!

Yes I'm sooooo pleased. After almost 3 months without a PJ it's finally running again.

Thanks all of you for the help along the way :D :D :D :D

My only concern now is, what was the reason the HVPS died anyway?

If possible I'd like to minimize the risk of it to happen again.

Thanks again!!

Henrik

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Too late now, but here's my response from the other thread you asked in...

The Spellman is a much better power supply. M NEWMAN used to call them Spellmans and junk. If I were to buy one, $100 would make me get the Spellman. The 1st thing I did with any PS was to pull the cover and go over every solder joint in the non potted part of the supply.

For $400-500 in the states you could buy another ECP and rob parts, but I assume the pricing you show is normal for where you're at?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep too late now. The main reason it was a Keltron instead of a Spellman is that I got an almost complete ECP 4000 for $700 and the Spellman HVPS was alone $500.

Now I have some spare parts that I can start to mod and I just hope the Keltron will do the job for a while.

Is the soldering really that bad in the Keltron HVPS?

Any mod I can do to the Keltron HVPS that might extend the time before it fails on me? (It sounds like it's real crap :( )

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is cooling more important with a Keltron than with a Spellman. When ceiling mounted I believe it can be a bit hot up there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok no answer. I'll try to fit two new fans in the PJ to improve cooling anyway and hope that makes the Keltron last a little longer :)

When Mike is ready to repair HVPS I might send it to him so that I have a space when the day comes.

Thanks for the help!

Henrik

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.