AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an ECP 4501 for a couple years now and haven't had any problems. Most recently I've been using it only on occassion, so it sits unused a few weeks to months at a time.

When I ran it last, I noticed an hour 1.5 into a movie, that horizontal bands, thicker lines, appear on the screen. It appeared that the color was bleeding or incorrectly overlapping on the bands. They appeared as red or blue bands streaks. The streaks did not say perminately, but they did

hang around for about 20 secs.

This is the second time this has happend. Anyone have an idea what might be causing this phenomena?

I have a Extron 109 plus driving the input from an HTPC.

I'd appreciate any input or ideas I could get.

Mike

·
Registered
594 Posts
This sounds like a problem I had on my ECP4000. If you look into the lenses when the problem is occuring -do you see the scan lines appear to overlap or be somewhat brighter? This was evident on the BLUE and RED CRT's only in my case and ONLY showed up after doing Dynamic convergence. I had to upgrade to newer code and replace a few boards to cure it. In your case you are probably using the newer convergence boards etc. What code are you running?

See if it happens after doing dynamic convergence and if so then I'd say that the convergence board is flaky. Of course, you could always do a hard reset and set it up again as this won't cost anything! ;) Perhaps, it's had too many convergence sessions saved and is protesting......

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris,

Thanks for the post. I'm not very well versed in the operation of my

ECP projector. I've done the manual convergence settings, with the remote

and white grid, is this considered the dynamic convergence?

I'll have to check on the software version when I get a chance after looking at the projector.

I'm not sure how to adjust all the settings on the projector. If I where to do a reset, what's entailed in doing the reset and update process?

Is there a good howto or online manual to walk me through the process? I have a copy of the 3500 manual which doesn't seem to tell me all that much.

Mike

·
Registered
594 Posts
Mike, there is some good information on the ECP Resource site but for somereason I can't get to the URL now....You can PM me and I'll send you a copy of the service seminar notes that are quite useful.

Here is what I would do.....

Pull out the boards one by one and reseat them.

If you still have a problem then do a hard reset by doing the following...

Press "recall" on the remote and within 5 seconds press the red button on the back of the remote (processor)board under the back access cover. You'll know if this was sucessful if the contrast is set to "2" on power up. You'll then have to go through a COMPLETE set up again. If it didn't go to "2" then try pressing the "reset" button and then the red button. It all depends on which code level you are running....

If you still have problems then we'll have to try some other things.

p.s the problem showed up in my case after you enter the convergence routine. It was fine if you converged the initial red on green and blue on green boxes (static) but as soon as you tried to converge anywhere else then the bands showed up.

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris,

Thanks for the info. you posted. Luckily, I haven't had much trouble these days with the projector. I figure I'll leave it alone if it's not an issue.

I'm running the projector of an HTPC and one thing does bug me.

I'm running a 720p res, but I haven't been able to configure the projector

to run above 59hz? I think it might be that I need to get a better understanding of how to use the power strip app. that is used to create

custom resolutions.

Whenever I try to increase the refresh rate, the screen shifts to the left or right. I'm not sure how to increase the refresh rate without moving the

screen position.

Mike

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I decided to ignore the color streak problem, but now it looks like its here to stay.

I went into the convergence mode, and I noticed the lines in the grid where in red or blue broken. They didn't meet at a solid line. I also noted some noise in the pattern. This was worse depending upon the resolution refresh rates.

Does this sound like the convergence issue that requires a hard reset?

I'm running version 3.4 Mar, 1 1995

I'd appreciate any input on the subject.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would try pulling your convergence board out and push the chips in, I believe there are 6 going along the length of the board, ive seen this fix problems like this

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark,

Thanks for the input. I actually pulled the convergence board and reseated it in the projector slot. I didn't try to push the chips in, they looked o.k.

This alleviated the problem! I'm curious as to why this fixes the issues. Is it due to poor contacts or some sort of electric surge?

Just curious to see if anyone happens to know.

Regards,

Michael

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Yes. ECPs are notorious for poor connections. This is the 2nd one this week that I've read reseating convergence borad fixed.

As for your 60Hz question...it may have to do with when the pj jumps from low to high band. Check out the resource page as the procedure may be listed there. Or do a search on the high band low band adjustment by Mike Newman. I don't remember it anymore now that I have my Marquee or I'd tell it to you here. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.