AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just get done retubing my pj and turn it on. I push # and get a crosshatch, tubes look awesome (no lenses on yet, just happy they light up).

So I hook up the coby dvd to see how/if the source signal looks good. Well, it doesn't. Nope, not a thing.

So I tried the other source board (composite, eeewww!) and still nothing. I've rechecked all my connections on all the boards, thinking maybe I missed one. Nope, all there and hooked up right, as far as I can tell.

I figure it's gotta be something on the VOM, but what? Could I have plugged something in backwards and not know it? I took out and replaced the tubes one at a time and took photos so I could make sure I hooked each one up right. I didn't disconnect anything but the bare minimums from the VOM and took the rest off the neck boards when removing the tubes.

Any ideas on where to shove my fingers next? This is a lot bigger and a little more complex than my crystal radio kit from when I was a kid.

I'd appreciate anything you guys can give.

And Curt, thanks for the tip on the trimpot, picked one up, works great.

Thanks,

Gyv

·
Registered
594 Posts
Have you done a hard reset? (red button and "recall" on the remote)

Are you selecting the correct source input via the Source recall buttons? Sounds obvious but sometimes the simple things get overlooked.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep and yep. I did a hard reset right after I finished with the tubes. And I tried all the source inputs, 0-1, 0-2, 1-1, and 1-2. Still nothing.

I'm going to remove everything and redo it all tonight. It's just that I didn't take anything off the VOM except the neck board grounds(the gray wires that go back to it) and I removed the neck boards one at a time. As I finished one I'd replace it and remove the next one. I'm at a loss.

I've pulled all the modules out of the back, thinking maybe there's a bent pin somewhere. Still nothing. I've tried using my momitsu as source, since I'm sure it works, since i'm running my marquee with it. I've tried everything short of tearing it down and making sure of each and every little connection, and a good swift kick.

I'd like to get this thing running so I can sell it to my neighbor. I have the perfect marketing strategy. I leave my curtains open when I start watching a movie. His kids see it and they want a movie theater too. So, I can get this thing sold if I get it working. And moving it will be easy, just heft it across the street.

Gyv

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I removed everything, I mean EVERYTHING, last night and put it all back in. I made sure every plug was plugged in and done correctly. And still I get a cross hatch but I can't get anything from either source card in either slot.

Could something have gone bad on the VCM? It seems that's about the only place in the video chain that comes before the crosshatch generator but after the source cards.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
If the set shows the correct source on the screen, and you hear relays click when you select a new source, then the VIM might be bad. I've got every board in stock for this set, I can send you a set of the video chain if you want.

PM me below, thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.