AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently picked up an ECP 4100. The projector accepts a signal from HTPC (laptop 1024x768) and the picture needs a lot of work but it is acceptable. The problem is when I hook my DTC-100 for HD the picture goes crazy. The only way I can describe it is that it appears as if you are watching scrambled cable.

This connection worked well with my previous projector (an ECP). I also know that it is not a high band to low band problem. The only thing that seems likely to me given the fact the projector works with DVD input is that maybe an older board (which one?) from a model not cabable of HD resolutions is in the system. Do you have any thoughts. I'm going thru serious HD/DVD movie viewing withdrawl.

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cary,

The DTC-100 has a 15 pin VGA out so I just hook my VGA to 5BNC breakout cable to the projector, worked like a charm with previous 4100. So I'm lost as to what the problem is for this projector.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had success with this model of projector with the DTC-100. Is there a setting in the DTC-100 I need to change or is there an adjustment on one of the cards of the projector to address the negative synch. I just don't believe an extron or anything else is required.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
The DTC-100 outputs positive sync - not negative. However, your ECP shouldn't have a problem with this. Is your HTPC still connected? If so, that is the problem. Drop off the vertical line of your HTPC, and the DTC-100 should snap into lock. The V sync lines are not isolated on older input modules - they're combined, which, of course, causes all manner of problems. If you must have HTPC and DTC-100 connected at same time, try a BNC "T" adaptor to combine H & V sync for the DTC-100 into composite sync (into H input). You may need to do same to HTPC if you're not using an interface that can output C sync.

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Dang Mike, you did it again. For as long as I've looked at those RGB Input Board schematics I never noticed that the two V syncs are combined. That's something to remember!

Cary

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope I only have one input board with the 5 BNC's and disconnect the cable from the HTPC and connect it to the DTC-100. So that's not it. The thing that is just throwing me is that there is a normal picture with the HTPC, disconnect the cable and hook it to the DTC-100 and weird picture. It looks like the picture when you were 11 years old and there was a T&A movie on the scrambled cable channel. I'm to old to stare at a screen like that anymore.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Hmmm.....It sounds like your Input module is having problems with Positive sync. Just for grins, I'd try a BNC "T" anyway to see if your Vsync input is giving you fits. If that doesn't solve it, and adjusting H sync in manual mode (from the remote) won't allow you to lock it in either, then I'd suggest a simple inverter circuit to switch the DTC-100 to negative sync. This has been detailed on the forum before - try a search (or pick up a cheap Extron 108, 202, or 106 off E-bay and force negative sync with that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
H sync in manual mode does nothing. Would this negative to positive synch problem explain the zero color within the picture and the scrambled look to the picture?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Well, any Horizontal sync problem will result in a scrambled picture. As for no color, that's a bit odd - you should have a scrambled color picture. If it's truly black and white, then I'd start to suspect something unusual about the cable you're using, or the distance that it is. Also, it's entirely possible that the DTC-100 has developed a problem co-incidentally with your attempting to connect it to your ECP. Try connecting it to your PC monitor to verify operation. While you've got it on the monitor, go into the utilities setup and check the monitor retrace timing settings. Also, make sure your ECP doesn't have the V move shifted too far down - I've seen ECP's scramble the image with too much image shift downward (rare).

·
Registered
103 Posts
William Phelps addressed a similar issue with the DTC 100 and the Sony G90 several years ago. The proposed solution was the acquisition of a product similar to the Inline 2100. You may wish to research the archives for wm's thoughts on this matter or email him directly

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike,

I'll plug my DTC-100 into my computer monitor and ensure the problem isn't there. I'm still just baffled. This is not a systemic problem with ECP 4100's and DTC-100's. I owned a ECP4101 and had zero problems running the VGA out on the DTC-100 directly into the CRT via a 5 BNC breakout cable.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I, too, have hooked up countless DTC's to ECP's (I like to rhyme all the time...was a poet and didn't know it....yadayada... ;) ),and haven't had any problems. So, it's not a compatability problem, other than the issues I mentioned previously.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mark, don't know if this helps any but on my 3100 when I go from my dtc-100 to my HTPC or especially my dvdo I get the scrambled mess you describe some times .I can usually let it run 5~10 seconds then power it off on that source the power it back up and it works fine ?? don't know why am a litter curious my self

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hardvark,

Appreciate the ray of hope. I'm giong to try and find some time this evening to play with it some.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.