AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran a search on this and got a large number of results. Lack of time and oppurtunity cost has forced me to post the following question:

What is the best screen size for an ECP-3101 with Sony 07MS tubes?

Right now I have a home made screen hanging on the wall that is 60" wide. (approx 80" diag. ) It works very well but I am looking to upgrade in size and quality.

Thank You,

John

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll keep 80" in mind. I was leaning/hoping to hear about 92". At 72" I would only gain 6" on each side. Considering the investment I would stick with my current screen.

John

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I run at 80" wide. I've heard of people going to 92" with good results though. But like Andrew said, most people say 80" is the practical limit. The 07MS tubes are brighter than your original SD187's so maybe it's ok.

Cary

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'll post some data on the 92" wide in a week or so. I've got a DaLite Model B (1.5 Video Spectra) being delivered. I'm driven to this size as a result room size and wifes constraints on where things can be placed. Don't have a true dedicated room, more of a multifunctional TV room. I have an ECP 4101. I'm a newbie so have no true foundation for an assessment but can give you at least a rough idea of picture quality.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I have an ECP4000 and run a 92 wide (by 52 h) and it looks great. Keep in mind that I have done some modifications which help attribute to that. I have thought of going a tad bit smaller, but decided not to due to having to remount the pj. My screen is a Da-Lite, DaMat 1.0 gain. I am eventually going to get some KBK screen goo and use that to bump the gain a bit. I treid a bit of Behr Ultra White as a sample, and it made a very noticeable improvement in brightness. Currently I run an HTPC through an Extron (set to 1v p-p) and have brightness at about 4.5 and contrast at 3.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the repsonses. Mark, I will be keeping an eye out for your results with the new screen. Jay, I used the Behr Ultra White to make my screen. My brightnees is set at 8 and contrast at 5. Probrably too much, but then again I have a 30 foot run from the HTPC to the PJ with no addition signal processing. I'm sure I am loosing a good deal of signal there. Not to mention I used some economy wires. I just didn't have the cash at the time. I have also read some threads on your mods to your PJ. I'm a little afraid of the water when it comes time to juicing the boards. I think I may go for the 92" screen. I have a completely light controlled room and I do plan on an Extron and quality cables.

Thanks again everybody,

John

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Wow! B=8 and C=5? I would invest in the processor and cables before you upgrade the screen. Compared to what I run (and others like Cary) on a larger screen that seems really high. Realize, that in going bigger your brightness output is going to decrease...meaning to get the same pix as now you wil ahve to increase B & C more. Are the tubes worn or do you have any idea what the age on them is?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jay, I'm not too sure on the age of the tubes. The PJ came out of a corporate conference room. I paid $323 for it. The software is dated Jan 1996. I know the SD187's were the original. (tag says replace with SD187's only). There is absolutely no burn at all. I have even removed the lenses and the tubes are clean as can be. I have a good feeling the tubes may have been replaced when the software was upgraded. There was little to no dust inside this thing either. Here's a hint..... two 12' VGA extension cables from the local electronics store. $10 each. One (1) 10' RGBHV breakout cable. $50. And one A/B switch. I think my cable are killing the signal to the PJ. Any processor suggestions....Extron maybe? Model?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Yep...that's got a lot to do with your signal. Those VGA extenders are normally not done with coax on the RGB lines. That's probably a big part of it. Get some good Belden (forget the part#) RG6 and some BNC connectors and make some new cables. You can continue to use the VGA>RGB breakout, but replace the others. The AB switch probably isn't helping either, but I'm not sure. Is it powered or passive?

I use the RGB 202 Plus, which is limited to 1 input, but it serves my needs. I can always change or get a separate switch if need be. I only use an HTPC (no HDTV on my area yet) for DVD and scaling the occasional laserdisc, so the one input is fine for me. I use an Extron MBC so it is properly tetminated, and a quality 5 wire to the pj.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The A/B switch is passive. I will take your advice and start to building a new cable between the HTPC and the PJ. I only need one input right now as the HTPC is the only thing hooked up to the PJ. I may be picking up a line doubler in a few days so I can stop using the composite input for CATV. It's a real let down watching TV after a DVD. I will keep an eye out for the RGB 202 Plus. What should I look for as far as price is concerned on one of these? What is the specific function of this unit also?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I paid $100 for mine on ebay. It has a gain in it so that you can compensate for longer cable runs. It uses a 9 pin VGA input, and outputs 5 wire RGB. There is also a peaking control (kind of like a sharpness setting). Actually a pretty neat unit. I got the scope out and found out what level the gain needed to be to have a .7, .8, .9, and 1.0v iput to the pj. There are others that will work, and I believe the currect standard is the 202xi as it will take 2 inputs. The 109 is also a number I've seen used around here. Basically any Extron device that takes a computer input and allows adjustable output should perform the same basic function. Extron builds quality stuff whih is why they are so popular.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Hey guys, the 108Plus is what I use. If I'm not mistaken, I think it's bandwidth is 250MHz where the 202 is higher, but the 108Plus has two inputs, gain control, peaking control, one vertical centering adjust, and a per-input horizontal centering. Pretty dang sweet. If you had a choice, go for the 202xi, but if you see a 108Plus on eBay for cheap, it's money well spent.

Cary

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I now know that it is an Extron I need to keep an eye out for and a 92" screen if everything is ok after the cable mods and the addtion of the Extron. Hooking the Extron up to the PJ once I get it may be challenge. Heck, I didn't know what to do when it came to hooking up the computer to PJ. That didn't take long to figure out. Thanks AVS Forum! Time to go shopping! Thanks again.

John

ps. Jay or anybody....any easy ECP mods to improve picture quality??? I have etched my own boards and built electronic devices. I have no idea why they worked I just followed the directions carefully. :)

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Yeah, my 202 has the H & V centering as well, but I don't use it. And the 202 has 2 inputs but only one is usable :rolleyes: Maybe it wasn't the 109 I had seen mentioned...maybe it was the 108. I was actually thinking about you Cary when I wrote that...I knew it was a 10 something, I just may have guessed at the wrong part number. Sorry John

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Jay or anybody....any easy ECP mods to improve picture quality??? I have etched my own boards and built electronic devices. I have no idea why they worked I just followed the directions carefully. :)
Boy did you open a can o worms with that one :) Search for a bunch of posts by Cary and I...we have both done a ton of stuff to our pjs. Also, KBK is the one who got us started. Begin with the input module, and then I did the video output (back of the CRTs) module. Also deflection, bias board...I have been workign on the LVPS for about 6 months now, and have just never completed it to try in my pj. I've been pretty happy with my pix to this point, so it has kind of taken low priority.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boy, there is definatley potential for this to be a good long summer.

John

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jay,

Thanks. I have been reading though those two threads and to be honest with you it is slightly overwhelming, especially when I popped out my input card and looked at it. Regardless, it looks like the input mod and the neck board mod would do the trick. I wish I had an extra input board to play with. I really don't want to break anything where I don't have any extra's. I have been checking out the ECP switchers on eBay thinking I could have a few to spare just incase and also make a wireless remote out of the switchers keypad. I'm sure it's no different than whats on the back of the PJ. I'm sure you'll hear from me again. Thanks everybody.

Zolzar - Over and out!

·
Registered
101 Posts
1. Ideally, the projection wants to be created from a point source of light. So the further back you go, the better the situation. Smaller screen size pushes the capabilities.

2. For the smaller screen sizes, if you could scrunch the lenses together more, the better the image. Unfortunately, mechanical adjustment in this direction is not available.

I'm running 60X45, which is just perfect for my room and 125" or so viewing distance. However, I'm having two problems;

1. On a pure white screen, the left side has a blue tint, the right side has a red tint. This is because I'm so close, that the blue has to shine an appreciable distance to make it over to the right - and vice versa.

2. After "countless" adjustment, I'm still having L/R edge focus problems. (If it was a CRT monitor, you'd throw it out...) I'm beginning to suspect that I'm close to the limit of what the lens arrangement and optics can do for me, for my 89" or so projection distance.

Maybe if I shove the red and blue raster toward the green using the offset adjustment, I can improve things "some".

Some valid artifacts to consider, when deciding screen size???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.