AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my ECPs has a problem with the red tube. No, not the ECP I gave yesterday to my 3-year-old neighbor.

See attached picture. Sorry, I don't have my real digicam with me, so this was taken with a webcam.

The picture was taken with the lens removed. The corners are crystal sharp and the lines are hairline thin (the picture makes them look thick). In the corners, the grid lines look like they're supposed to... like they do on the Blue and Green tubes on this ECP, and like my other ECPs.

But the center is blurry as shown on the picture. And it is as blurry on the screen.

I can't focus it out optically with the lense, because it's this way on the phosphor.

I don't see any fungus and the glycol is crystal clear.

Adjusting the focus pots by the G2 bias module doesn't help.

Any guesses?

Is it with the tube?

Should I try swapping out the R neckboard?

Thanks,

Clarence

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Clarence,

OK, I am new to CRT's, but this does look like Fungus,

I have a pic of my blue tube, and I looks very similar.

In my second post, I have attached the same tube, but it isn't running.

I can clearly see the fungus.

It is interesting that you can't see any fungus, or a glycol problem.

I am sorry I don't have any answers,

You should try swapping neck boards to see if it moves to the next tube?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Clarence,

There's NO SUCH THING AS FUNGUS. But, it IS what people call fungus, which is a chemical reaction to the aluminum frame and glycol.

Drain the glycol and fill it half way with CLR and agitate for 10 minutes, rinse it good a few times, blow out all the water with compressed air and refill with FRESH glycol. There are inks that you can use if you want to put the red glycol back. Check out B.Hegelstad's posts on the subject.

Bruce

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Clarence
But isn't the chemical reaction between the aluminum frame and glycol usually indicated by particulate matter, crystals, or discoloration? I don't see any of that in the glycol.
Clarence,

I've done MANY of them like that. You don't necessarily have to see anything but the haze. I got tired of butchering the tubes by cutting off the glass and last year I started using the CLR method and it works great. I've done about 12 tubes that way with no problem.

Also, did you read my post on your P16 tube?

Bruce

·
Premium Member
17,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This ECP looks real nice except for the red haze, so I'll give it a try.
Quote:
Also, did you read my post on your P16 tube?
Yep... I'll be giving that a try, too. I'm more anxious to get a pristine Green in my 1208s/2 than I am about this ECP.

Does it sound OK to use the glycol from the LC reservoir of the P16LNP to refill this ECP tube?

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Clarence

Does it sound OK to use the glycol from the LC reservoir of the P16LNP to refill this ECP tube?
I don't see why not, if it's not contaminated.

·
Registered
702 Posts
You're probably better off getting some new glycol. MCM Electronics sells the stuff for a few bucks a bottle.

Besides the other coolant being used, it would be a double messy job to drain it and swap it, without getting dirt in it in the process. With the new stuff, you just squeeze it right out of the bottle into the tube, with little or no mess or risk of contaminating it.

I have a 1030Q with a hazy blue that I know has contamination, and I'm going to try the CLR method on that sometime. Cutting the glass off just looks like a real pain.

·
Premium Member
17,098 Posts

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maxxarcade
You're probably better off getting some new glycol. MCM Electronics sells the stuff for a few bucks a bottle.

Besides the other coolant being used, it would be a double messy job to drain it and swap it, without getting dirt in it in the process. With the new stuff, you just squeeze it right out of the bottle into the tube, with little or no mess or risk of contaminating it.

I have a 1030Q with a hazy blue that I know has contamination, and I'm going to try the CLR method on that sometime. Cutting the glass off just looks like a real pain.
Whether you have a new bottle or not, you still have to use a syringe to inject it into the new tube. I pour the new coolant into a wide top plastic container first to fill the syringe from. If you're using the coolant from the tube, just drain it from the tube into the container with a coffee filter on top of it.

CLR is a calcium dissolver.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.