AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a very used ECP Graphics projector several months ago, no major problems until now.

After starting it up I can watch HTPC video source perfectly well for a minute two, then it displays "Converging...Please Wait" every 13 seconds or so. It's worse than popup ads! The picture is otherwise fine.

I thought it might be overheating, but the fans check out OK and it does the same thing with the case open. The service manual says that I should see a red light on the back panel if there is a failure with one of the memory chips, but I only see the green "ready" light go on and off during the convergence.

Any suggestions as to what I should try? I have reasonable soldering skills and access to an oscilloscope if need be. I live in the SF Bay area, in case anyone knows a good local tech, but I'd much rather try fixing it myself since the projector is so old.

Any help appreciated,

-Jason (First time poster)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The problem has gone away but I'm not really sure why.

I pulled most of the cards out, dusted them off, cleaned the edge pins with "color tv tuner cleaner" (works great on electronic parts with moving contacts) and reinserted them. I also pulled out the known-to-be-bad-but-never-use composite video input card and left it out.

The wife said, "Oh, you fixed it!" but I didn't really fix anything. Guess a little Spring Cleaning can go a long way with these old projectors.

-Jason

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Yes indeed. You probably *did* fix it. You'd be surprised at how many evils a simple board removal and installation will fix on the ECPs!

Cary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.