AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone happen to know if the ECP 4100 remote will work with a ECP 3500?

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eledhel
Does anyone happen to know if the ECP 4100 remote will work with a ECP 3500?

As far as I know, they're identical.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The original 3500 remotes look like the Marquee remotes without the enter button. The 4100 remotes look different, but I wasn't sure if they functioned the same.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Keith, the ECPs employed two types of remote sensors and they aren't interchangeable. The 3000/4000s used the low frequency type, the 3500/4500s used the high frequency type. The 3100/4100s, I believe, used both depending on the age of the unit. If your IR remote doesn't look exactly like the built-in remote, then it probably won't work.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I _think_ that some of the larger remotes can be used with the earlier sets, I haven't tried it in a long time though.

Some of the very late 4100's came with the larger wired keypads and remotes.

Curt

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by composr
Keith, the ECPs employed two types of remote sensors and they aren't interchangeable. The 3000/4000s used the low frequency type, the 3500/4500s used the high frequency type. The 3100/4100s, I believe, used both depending on the age of the unit. If your IR remote doesn't look exactly like the built-in remote, then it probably won't work.
You're referring to the IR sensor and you're correct, the Marquees use the high frequency sensor and the ECP's use the low frequency sensor, which is why the remotes aren't interchangable between the Marquees and ECPs.

However, on the later ECP 3xxx and 4xxx units, the remotes are interchangable. I'm not certain on the older units that use the "hard plastic" buttons.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bruce, I'm pretty sure the ECPs had two different sensors, depending on the age of the units. My 3100 has a different sensor than my 3500s and 4500s and the newer, bigger remotes do not work on the 3100.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by composr
Bruce, I'm pretty sure the ECPs had two different sensors, depending on the age of the units. My 3100 has a different sensor than my 3500s and 4500s and the newer, bigger remotes do not work on the 3100.

I know that there is a difference between the ECP and Marquee IR sensor, but I wasn't aware that they used different sensors bwtween ECPs. I know that the Marquee remotes won't work on ECPs even though they look identical. I know there were some differences between "some" of the older hard button remotes from the later ones, but beyond that, I'm not sure. I know that the late ECP 4xxx and 3xxx remotes are the same.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the definitive answer, Bruce.

I got it in my head at some point that I could make a working wireless remote from the wired remote of another ECP 3500 (been working with Sonys too long), but after soldering those small resistors to the keypad pcb for half a day to get about half a dozen buttons to work, I gave up and looked elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for jumping in.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Here's the scoop, guys...

The earliest 4100/3100s went out the door with the low frequency sensor and remotes. About a year into production, they upgraded the sensors and remotes to a high frequency variation to eliminate annoying interference problems from newer flourescents, IR emmisions from certain halogen lamps and sunlight, et al. These were identified by a yellow band around both the sensor body (move the foam out of the way to look at it) and on the back of the remotes. All of the soft button remotes from the later models were of the high frequency type. So, if your sensor or remote has a yellow band on it, it's high freq and compatable with any 35/4500 series, hard button or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.