AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a bit busy with work etc recently, so after retubing my ecp 4100, I have not had a chance to set it up, until last night. After doing a hard reset, I noticed that whilst I can twist the deflection and convergence yokes together, and toe in the tubes to get the centre vertical lines on the grid both vertical and superimposed, the horizontal lines do not appear to be at right angles to the vertical lines. The green is fine, but on the red and blue, when I have the vertical lines superimposed on the green, the horizontal lines are about half a grid square too high on one side, and half a grid square too low on the other side, compared with the green. The blue is high on the left and low on the right, and the red is high on the right and low on the left.

An exaggerated mini picture of it would go something like this....

Green:

I I I

------------------

I I I

Red

I I I

____-----''''''''''''

I I I

Blue

I I I

'''''''''-------___

I I I

On my 1031 there is an adjustment for this called SKEW. Is there one on the ecp? I have tried twisting the deflection and convergence yokes together, keeping them lined up, but this twists the whole picture, not just the horizontal lines.

Apart from this, the retubing has gone well. The vertical linearity is good, the horizontal linearity is good on the red and green, but needs to be tweaked slightly on the blue, as it is squashed in slightly on the right hand side, but I cannot see an adjustment for this. I know there is a vertical linearity adjustment, but how do you correct for horizontal?

Also, when performing a raster size and centre, you have to act upon pots and variable inductors on the power deflection boards, but these pots are inaccessible with the tubes in place. I assume that you need to tweak them with the pj on in order to see the effect that it is having, but how can you get to them? I have the service seminar downloaded from Snaggs' website, but it gives no help with how to access the controls whilst the tubes are in situ.

Oh yeah, do you do the raster size and centering before applying keystone / bow / pincushion, or afterwards? Common sense says afterwards, as you are changing the image size and position on the tubeface, but you never know, so I thought I'd ask. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Tom

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Here's a great thread on setting up raster & toe-in on the ECP.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=ecp+owners

You do all the raster adjustments prior to the keystone/bow/etc.

The pots & coils you are referring to are accessible with the tubes in...you just need a long diddle stick. I think you can stil get them from RS. Make dure it is plastic, or at the very least well insulated. There's lots of points in ther that could hurt!

As far as the sskew, no there is no adjustment. Make sure that you have the deflection yoke pushed all the way forward. Also make certain that the convergence yoke is properly aligned. There is a "casting" mark where it was molded. Kind of like a seam if you will. Make sure these are lined up on the two yokes. Then maybe you will be able to rotate to get the blue & red level.

there also is no horizontal linearity. Try the above...if I understand everything you are saying, one thing may fix another :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.