Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!

I have just finished hanging my ECP 4100 and finishing all of the setup routines I have been able to find on this forum and reading all of the friggin manuals I could download...Service seminar, Service manual, Holy Focus, M NEWMAN toe-in etc. Everything seemed to be ok for a while and now I am noticing the my tubes are burning a line down the center of them vertically. Did I make a wrong adjustment somewhere? I am going to need to replace my green and red now because it has gotten so bad but before I do I want to fix what ever it is that I did wrong.

Thanks,

Steve Schwab

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The image itself looks fine when projected but for some reason there is a vertical line burning down the center of the tubes. Just green and red now but I think the blue is going to start soon. The blue is a brand new tube.

Thanks,

Steve Schwab

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I look at the tubes when the projector is off you can see the line burned into them right down the middle vertically. The raster size is smaller than the phosphor so I don't think that is the culprit.

Thanks,

Steve Schwab

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Steve,

ECP's are not a projector that I have any experience working on.

But from you description, it sounds to me like someone left off the scan reversal leads, which collapsed the rater and burned the line vertically down the center of the tubes? If this was done it would burn the line instantly in the phospher. Could this be it??

Terry

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
If you have a line that's lit up along with displayed video, then you have some exceedingly weird problem going on with your video control or RGB input modules. If the line is a shadow, rather, then it happened as Terry described above. Did you modify any boards?........

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
As an addition, lower your contrast and brightness till the picture is barely visable till you get to the bottom of this to prevent further damage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Terry,

Would I still be able to see the image clearly on the screen or would it be condensed to the vertical area of the burn? Because I could watch the movies from my HTPC/DVD without a problem. Except of course the gradual degradation of the tubes.

Mike,

I first noticed the line as I was watching my first movie while finishing the setup. It was not too bad at first but then I noticed as I watched more movies it was gradually getting worse. I shut it down for good until I could get some input from you guys. It was as if it was just burning while I was watching the flics. And it only happened to the red and green. I am guess that is because they were older than the blue which is brand new and has less phosphor to go through. I immediately thought I had the raster too big and the the image was overlapping the edges of the crt but I turned the contrast all the way down and the brightness up to see the raster and it looked fine. The image does extend to the edge of the raster and actually curls at the top too. Don't know if that is bad or what. I went through your toe-in procedure and thought that I had covered everything. I don't want to burn the brand new blue out already so I am going to do any testing with just the red and green on. I'll get new tubes, thats not a problem. I just don't want to perpetuate the problem and burn the next set two also. Any thing that you think I should check let me know. Its really baffling me. I want to have it straightened out so that when Terry comes up next month to calibrate it it will be 100%. Oh and no mods have been done to it. Yet :).

Thanks guys,

Steve Schwab

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
IS the line actually being displayed on the face of the tube while you are playing the pj? Or are you just seeing the burn that someone else left for you? Is it truly getting worse or is it just bothering you more?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The line is quite predominant when viewing movies and it is also on the face of the tube when the projector is off. So yes it is displayed both while viewing and while off. Its definately a burn and getting worse as I viewed the movies. At first is was just a small line dead center about 1/2" long on the face of the tube and then as I watched more movies I noticed another line forming above that one. So they are actually two seperate lines that are stretching to meet each other. I will post some pics of both the face of the tube and the image on the screen as soon as I get home tonight.

Thanks,

Steve Schwab

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
We're still not clear on this, Steve - is the line LIT (as in a static bright line) during video, or is it a darker area than the rest of the video surrounding it. If it's darker, it can't be causing burn, but rather the horizontal deflection is collapsing in a strange way to put a really bright line in the middle of the CRTs, probably upon turn off. This would be similar to a spot kill problem (neck boards). However, if the line is lit up during video, then the problem is as I mentioned before.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Right. Is it a bright line you're still seeing or are you just looking at the burn? Once the burn is there you will see it all the time...pj on or not. What Mike is asking also is can you see in the lens when you turn it off...does the line get really bright when you power down the pj?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No bright line. just looking at the burn. I ususlly puit the projector in standby before I power down so I don't think there is a bright line upon power down but I will check it out tonight to see.

Thanks,

Steve Schwab

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.