AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all. What are the fundamental differences between the late series Electrohome ECP's (i.e. 4500 series) in contrast to their next evolution, the Marquee? Thanx.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just about everything...tubes, power supply, complete redesign, 8" vs 7", Electromagnetic focus vs electrostatic focus, software etc. In short....everything, completely different machine and much better design and performance.

·
Premium Member
4,961 Posts
Hi Inno! (got your PM and I'll email you when I get home from work - been busy!!)

I went from an ECP to a Marquee earlier this year. I'm far from an expert on the Marquee, but I think I can answer your question satisfactorily.

If you're familiar with the setup and operation of the ECP, the Marquee comes easily. The convergence procedure for example, is pretty much the same. Beyond that, it's better in almost every regard. There's more options for geometry setup and I didn't have any problems on the sides or corners like you sometimes do with ECPs. The chassis has been around for a long time without any changes and that's because, I believe, it was designed very well to start with.

So the menu operation, mechanical and optical setup, are pretty straight-forward, especially with your ECP experience. The big advantage is the EM (electromagnetic) focus that the ECPs lack. The Marquee is capable of a much sharper image than the ECP.

I still love the ECPs though. They throw an excellent image and for the money it's hard to argue. Any little problems I've had with them I've been able to overcome. But the Marquee is just in a different class and almost every regard.

Cary

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
ECP's and Marquee's were produced concurrently, the Marquee is NOT an evolution from the ECP. The ECP is the 7" electrostatic focussed projector that Electrohome made for smaller applications at lower resolution, and light output. The Marquee has always been an 8" and 9" series with electromagnetic focus for much greater sharpness and able to deliver better resolution, and higher brightness levels.

There really is no comparison between the chassis and the only part that is interchangeable is the ACON camera and then you have to change the connector anyway.

If you are running a smaller screen size and primarily DVD video, an ECP would be ok, but the Marquee's are a FAR superior projector, in a class above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.