AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased an Electrohome ECP3501 w/acon. Assuming both are in proper working order, which would you keep, the Electrohome or the Sony?

·
Registered
459 Posts
If the Ehome is bug free keep it. Sell the Sony on Ebay as the name brand will sell for more. A working ECP is a fine unit to use. I Know the tubes in the Ehome are rebuildable through VDC, but am not so sure about the Sony's.

Just one man's opinion,

Sean

(on my 3rd ECP to find one that works like a dream)

If the ECP has problems, well that might be a different issue

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a "plus" model with ACON. Any difference in sound levels or picture quality? I'm trying to figure out which one will go on Ebay.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think the plus means that it uses 07MS sony tubes versus the 187 tubes. The former are a bit brighter and have a bit better focus than the latter. If you aren't having ant geometry problems and the convergence drift is stable, keep the ECP and sell the sony. Either way, projectors usually sell for more if you can put up a pic of a projected image and a shot of the tubes with the leses removed to show absence of wear...

You can also get a rough idea of what the projector will sell for if you do a search and then click on completed items, When looking at what PJs sold for, keep in mind that sellers with high feedback get much better return on their goods. So just because a seller with 1500 positive feedback got 1700 for a projector that normaly goes for 1500 doesn't mean you will.

Like I said before, I'd keep the Ehomeand sell the sony. I think the two would give comprable images, with the ECP lending itself to a fan modification that renders it near silent. Noise in the HT is a pet peeve for me...

I'll shut up now, PM me if you wnat me to answer any Qs.

Sean

·
Registered
13 Posts
We would be able to get any CRTs that you would need either for the Sony or the Electrohome provided you have the CRT part #. I would personally go with the ECP if I had the choice IHMO.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
A straight 3500 scan rate puts it in the data grade catagory. The plus just squeaks it over the graphics hump. (by the numbers) If my memory serves me right. The 3500 should have 07MS tubes.

Chip S.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The Electorhome is easier to tweak, the Sony is more stable and has color corrected lens's. The difference between a 3500 and a 3501 is the acon. Sell the acon. I have had both, the 3500 was brighter, the 1270 had better flesh tones.

Gary

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you want better flesh tones with the ECP I have a red gel filter that you tape over the CRT face... I'll send you a piece if you want, look for a thread called "Kenny's filters"...

Like I said , ECPs lend themselves to mods...

Sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.