AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up my projector temporarily in my living room today, and ran a long cable from my pc to the projector (since I dont have the pricey transcoder yet)... I projected about a 62" wide image, and went to town adjusting it. Blue has always been the hardest for me to focus, and today it just wouldnt focus well at all (compared to red & green). I did the mechanical adjustment (center focus & edge focus) and I also tried the focus controll on the bias board - still a little fuzzy - the lines are too wide in the test pattern, and the dots dont look very round. I cant make out any fungus - but maybe it has some that I just cant see? Maybe it also needs an astig adjustment?

My brightness and contrast controlls work fine, but when I went to adjust the others (tint, color, and detail) - I couldnt make any apparent difference when I adjusted them... Should I see a huge difference from one end of the scale to the other (I really couldnt see a difference), or is something wrong with my PJ?? What in particular should I look for??? The only thing that I found that was physically damaged was the 10pin (27k) resistor on the remote board RN4 (its split in half almost). There is a pic here: http://bugman.50megs.com/proj_images/bad_resistor.jpg Could that have anything to do with it? I will replace it once I find a place that has one...

Thanks,

--Eric

· Registered
458 Posts
Eric,

Take a deep breath and relax... Blue is supposed to be quite a bit less focused that red and green to help the greyscale tracking... That said, blue is also usually the first tube to show signifigant wear. So, lets start at the begining...

1 Make sure the eltronic focus is correct by setting it to five in the menu. Reduce brightness and contrast. Now look into the blue tube and compare the focus to the other tubes. Looking into the tube, adjust the electronic focus on the focus board. The service manual you downloaded will show you where it is in chapter 4.

2 Optical focus needs to be adjusted too. So now hat the electronic focus is correct go ahead and adjust as seen in the service manual. Blue is signifigantly harder to see than the other colors due to the human eye's response to the color spectrum. Even on my hi power screen with a minty blue tube I really have to try to see exactly where it is when converging...

Color, detail, and tint only apply when you are using composite or S-video... so don't worry 'bout them not working.

Hope this helps...

Sean

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I followed the service manual - all the tubes have NO visible wear. Blue just looks so much more unfocused than the rest (even after I've done all the focus adjustments several times over). Its enough to make it very hard to converge as the blue dot & lines are larger than the green dot & lines (and the blue dots arent as round as the green dots).

>>>>>>>Color, detail, and tint only apply when you are using composite or S-video... so don't worry 'bout them not working.

Ahhh That makes me feel better :D (the picture does look good, but i guess I'd better re-read my dvd manual and see if it has any of these settings)

--Eric

· Registered
153 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with VDC rebuilt of my Marquee 8500 AC,

I've been able to have good focus only after a long setup of the CPC

magnets.

It happened that this blue tube is much more sensible to this adjustments

compared to the red and green.

The final result is not 100% good,but acceptable

Mauro

· Registered
2,861 Posts
Also, Do search for a post by M NEWMAN called "Anyone doing ECP raster centering, toe-in..." or something to that effect. When I had my ECP it was one of my bibles!

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>>>have you adjusted the stig and flare magnets on that blue tube?

Not yet... didnt want to touch it unless I had to. I guess Ill try that next.

--Eric

· Registered
2,861 Posts
Eric, Stig and flare are mandatory for a good picture. If you can find the above referenced post, you will be in good shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.