Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been reading and reading and reading all the information on here, and its great. Now its my turn to ask a question...

I am about to make a deal on an electrohome ecp 4100.

It has 2 RGBHV connections, but nothing else.

I want to use this for DVD and perhaps games (XBox, GameCube) via component s-video composite connections.

What low-cost suggestions can you offer?

Should I be looking at cards for the ecp? Or conversion boxes?

thanks for sharing,

-K

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Well, there are composite/S-video cards available, but the pix quality is pretty poor. For video games, it may be fine.

You could route through a computer using a capture card...not sure this would classify as truly low-cost unless you have a computer laying around.

There are also manufactures of S/composite to RGB converters...Extron, Altinex, as well as others.

To run component, you would need a componet to RGB transcoder...about $200 from a couple places...Audio Authority and I think Key Digital makes one. I think AVS can get the Key Digital or am I mistaken?

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Or you could just get a progressive scan DVD player that has a VGA connector for the output (RGBHV). I bought a Skyworth for $250 awhile back and it's an excellent player.

Cary

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for all the great suggestions.

Cary,

I was planning to get a progressive DVD player, but I realized that I need to be able to hook up other things to the pj as well...

Jay,

I was offered a card for 75 dollars new. Interested, but now I am thinking that I will need some scaling capability. the VB50 by Viewsonic for 100 dollars seems like an ok route if I'm going for something inexpensive.

I have a question about these scalers. If the scaler outputs:

640 x 480 @ 60Hz

640 x 480 @ 75Hz

800 x 600 @ 60Hz

800 x 600 @ 75Hz

852 x 480 @ 60Hz

1024 x 768 @ 60Hz/75sHz

up to 1024*768 does that mean that a 1080i signal simply would pass through and come out as 1024*768 (which is all the exp 4100 is capable of anyways)?

OR would it not be able to lock onto the signal? That would be a disappointment.

Wait what am I saying...for my uses I wouldn't be able to send anything above 480i to that scaler with anything less than component video, which it doesn't have...

time to look some more..................

thanks,

-K

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The VB50 aka cheesebox is not the pinacle in quality, but it's better than nothing. It does NOT scale HDTV it only works on 15khz 480i signals... everything else just gets passed through unaffected.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok!

snowmoon thanks a lot...I figured just as much, tho I wouldn't expect much for 100 dollars...

Jay Wilson,

posted by robertmee in another thread:

"For your cabling, the 75u and 711xu have two 15pin RGB/VGA type connections...They do not have an RGB component (3RCA) connection. So, to connect your progressive scan DVD player, you simply use a component to 15pin RGB cable. "

So what's this component to 15pin RGB cable that I can "simply" use? Why would I need a relatively expensive transcoder for this application if a "simple" cable would work, according to robertmee?''

Just being inquiisitve!

Thanks again,

-K

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
VGA aka 15pin RGBVH

You can get brekout cables that go either direction. The skyworth DVD player just happens to have a VGA out that can be plugged directly into the PJ.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Most devices work on componient connectors ( 3x RCA ) these require conversion to RGB/VGA with the transcoder...

All DVD players are supposed to use component because it can carry Macrovision!!! in 480p. All in all I believe that the transcoder can be put to good use with HDTV and Progressive DVD so it's just another investment.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Nevermind... the "simple cable" they are talking about is for PJ's ( digital ) that can accept compnent on the unused pins of the VGA port.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Snowmoon is right. There is no way to input component dorectly to an ECP projector. You have to go through a transcoder of some sort. I believe the audio authority is around $200. Not sure about Key Digital. At this point, if you buy the $100 cheesbox, and a progressive DVD, you're getting close to a low end HTPC. The HTPC would do your scaling, play DVDs, and not require any additional transcoder. You would simply use a breakout from 15pin to 5 wire RGBHV. That is to stay on teh low-cost side of things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
But I just bought the following and am expecting shipment tomorrow. I will let you know how it looks.

SCAN CONVERTER SVIDEO or RCA to SVGA MONITOR

Video Box allows you to turn any VGA Monitor, TFT Display or LCD Panel into a high quality Video Display Monitor for viewing standard analog video signals.

Automatically detects virtually all NTSC or PAL video inputs, doubles their scan rate from 15.75KHz to 31.5KHz

Provides a Clear VGA output signal.

Input Selector Button allows you to easily switch between a Computer VGA source and a Video source.

Possible Uses

Home Applications: Play Video Games of your VGA Monitor

Commercial Applitacions: View Camcorder, VCR or DVD or your VGA Monitor

Marine Applications: Multiple inputs of Navigation info and Computer to VGA LCD or TFT Panel Display

Features

Video Line Doubler

Automatically Detects NTSC, PAL

Composite or S-Video Input

Blue screen when no video input is detected

Input Selector Switch to select Computer or Video Input

$89 plus shipping

Thanks

Carey

Carey Coggins

Wholesale Home Theater LLC

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it, thanks snowmoon, thanks Jay.

A couple more questions...would a transcoder also work with interlaced signals or only progressive 31.5 khz signals?

and where do BNC connections fit into all of this?

thanks again,

-K

p.s. 15pin to 5 wire? what exactly is a 5 wire?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
executor, thanks a lot.

I was looking at the viewsonic scaler that performs the same function at about the same price. It also includes a TV tuner, so let me know if that is included in your box as well.

thanks for the heads up,

-K

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
15pin > 5 wire.

15 pin is the hd15 output of a computer (normally) and 5 wire simply means 5 wires for separate red, blue, green, horizontal sync, & vertical sync. These can either be BNC (as in the Ehome) or can sometimes be RCA.

Normally the transcoder is for progressive (31.5kHz) signals. Here is the link to the audio authority page.

http://www.audioauthority.com/aaccon.../9a62detc.html

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
RGB connections come is various shapes and sizes. All of the can be gone to and fro without too much problem.

RGBVH Is usually done in VGA style ( 15 pin ) or 5 75ohm cables that are either RCA style ends or BNC style ends.

Sometimes, but very rare is RGB(VH) 4 wire or R(GVH)B 3 wire RGB is possible too. Not every PJ can "combined sync" or "sync on green". These are things you should be aware of when people mention the names of these alternate RGB signaling terms.

Transcoders that go from component to RGB, in order to work properly, must blank the sync information from the green before passing it through. For this it must actually have some knowledge of the signal it's converting. The AA transcoder ~$160-180 can ONLY do 480p. The KeyDigital ~$290 can do most 480p, 720p, 1080i so it's much more versitile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.