AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This forum is a GODSEND. I have spent the last 12 hours researching the PLETHORA of wisdom here. I am new to the PJ scene, I came across a couple REALLY great deals, and now own an ECP4100, another needing new tubes (burn and blur - fungus?), a 4000 w/burn on blue, a 2000 (with problems I'll save for another post), and whats left of a 3000 that I probably wouldn't have had to part out if I'd found this forum. I don't know much abut these things, I'm pretty handy w/electronics, but I'm not solder-friendly :D but I have managed to play musical chairs w/all the CRTs with no manual and no real problems. I knew enough to a decent mechanical focus, adjust the control bias module? (I learned the name today) pots for even gain/color balance, and adjust the electrical focus (somewhat - I obvisly need to do the astig/flare) I will soon be redoing all of it, after I learn more - I entend to do a G2, make sure my rasters are perfectly centered, etc. ESPECIALLY because I am near setting it up w/my HTPC as a scaler (right now I am using the evidently poor compsite/s-video decoder card). I am poor (like most were at my age - 22) so I don't have a screen yet, and I am aware of how adversely it affects my performance, but at least I'm not fighting my PJ to get it to focus on a set screen at the wrong distance) :rolleyes: There are many things I can do to improve my HT, but most require that magical thing called money. The rest requires the vast knowledge on this forum (and a little help) I will eventally get to the focus, fan mods, etc. but for now I need a smooth running PJ. My main current problem is this: The projector doesn't sync when I don't have a signal running to it. LOL no, really, my problem is:

Periodically (aka 1-4 times daily) it POPs. I mean POP as in I think electricity is arcing somewhere. It goes POW! and then I hear the tubes crackle with static electricity like when you first power up. Sometimes the image just disappears for a second, and sometimes it switches to the convergence grid, and then back to the signal. It has dne this since I gt it, but I switched all the CRTs around in all the projectors not lng after I got them, so I have no way to tell if this was a pre-existing problem. I ran it like that a couple weeks, and got really annoyed, so I am currently using the 2000, until I can find the problem. I figure one of you gurus like Curte cold help. Thanks for listening!!!!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Simple, inspect alll your HV leads for micro cracks (WITH THE PJ OFF, OBVIOUSLY), and/or shut the lights off after removing cover, sit back behind the PJ and patiently wait so you can see where it is originating from. My suspicion, however, is that your PJ has been retubed with O7MS tubes, but you don't have high altitude sockets installed on your neck boards, causing spark gap arcs. You'll be able to see this also - the socket lights up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike: Thanks for the response! I assume the thick orange wires that run to the tubes are the HV leads? I have inspected them thoroughly and found no damage. I have sat for hours previously and finally caught it when it popped, but saw no visible arc or spark. The tubes are SD187, but I don't know if it originally had 07MS tubes. If it was shorting at the video neck board(s) Would it cut out the whole picture, or just whatever tube shorted? Also, why would that make the convergence grid sometimes display?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Yep, its the fat red/orangeish leads. Yes it would make all 3 CRT go out momentarily as it's a global supply being short circuited. The SD-187's rule out the 07MS problem, and since you didn't see a flash, the problem is probably happening closer to the HVPS, meaning you'll now need to remove the lower panels so you can see if the arc happens down there. There is a remote possibilty that it's a focus voltage arc - lift that white plastic cover and make sure that the original silicone blobs are still covering all those solder connections for the focus pots. But, I doubt this is it since that doesn't make a very loud noise - more like a "snap" instead of "POP". As for the convergence grid popping on, that's normal. When there's an arc, it sends a helluva shock wave through the PJ's electronics (you'd display a test pattern too, if you got rattled by a 32,000v short circuit).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.