AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of a home theater setup that I am doing, I decided to go the DIY route for my subs. I just couldnt see dropping a ton of cash on a couple Velodynes or JL 113s when I was pretty sure I could get better performance for alot less dough. So as part of my research process I trolled this forum for months trying to decide what drivers and amps and box type and so on I should go with. In the running was TC sounds, Ficar audio, and ED. I finally decided to go with the ED drivers based on price vs performance ratio, and some of the builds that I had seen on the forums. So I ordered up 4 of the 190s from Chris at ED. I must say customer service there is first class. Chris helped me decide my box dimensions and cubic feet and so on. Since my boxbuilding mojo is not so strong I decided to go with a sealed design, with just under 4.5 cubic feet each 2 18"s per box. I used 1" MDF all around, and another .75" on the front baffle. Each box will be run by a QSC 2450 bridged mono. I currently only have one amp, which I did a fan switch on to make it quiet enough to go in the theater. Only got the boxes in the room a couple days ago and have not run any really serious tests on it, pretty much just played a snippet of the 300 to make sure everything worked. Here are some pics of the build in progress

[/IMG]

3 sheets of 1" MDF all cut up and ready to rock

[/IMG]

Some of my nailgun/glue/clamp mojo

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The beast ready to be unpacked

[/IMG]

Cabinets ready for finishing

[/IMG]

Truck bedliner applied for that rugged/gonna be hidden behind GOM look

[/IMG]

2 of the boys in their new home, all cozy and snug

[/IMG]

One of the subs in the yet to be finished theater.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Great job, those eD 18" drivers look to be great choices ! They model quite well too.

Again good work.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12925453

Nice!

I prefer sealed as well. You should be one happy camper with that setup.

You prefer what? Are you not the person with dual LMS-5400 driv ers with two PR's per driver who has dual Fathom subs before. ???

Sealed subs INTEGRATE better(easy to integrate should I say).

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/12925494

You prefer what? Are you not the person with dual LMS-5400 driv ers with two PR's per driver who has dual Fathom subs before. ???

Sealed subs INTEGRATE better(easy to integrate should I say).

Arthur, I have two sealed 5 cube end tables with an LMS in each.

CE4000s for powerplants, no PRs for this guy.

No Fathoms for me, although I was going to buy one, but for the price of one I got performance equal to 4 or more with better SQ.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
BTW, that was Jai. He had he dual Fathoms and $5K budget and went with dual PR boxes. Needless to say he is more than happy considering one PR box was equal to at least two Fathoms.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it is 4.5 cubic feet per driver, for around 9 per cabinet. Not sure exactly what the numbers came out to, ED did the modeling for me.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawnyman /forum/post/12930543

Yes, it is 4.5 cubic feet per driver, for around 9 per cabinet. Not sure exactly what the numbers came out to, ED did the modeling for me.

This sealed it,I need my own eD 18" drivers.
Ordering next week.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
All these people with 19Ov.2's.

It's making me want a house badly so I can try to one up you all

·
Registered
138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/12956205

If people keep building the 19Ov.2 subs, you will be able to have 2 houses. lol

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Good luck! A few years ago an 18" sub was somewhat rare, then they became common, then someone did a pair of 18" subs, and everyone was like "woah he went there!" then a lot of people did 2 18" subs, they seem to be quite common these days. Then 4 18" subs started happening, now it we are starting to see 8 of them (dirtyharriet topped them all, but who knows if she's still alive after all that!). One of these days we will start seeing 16, 20, 24, 32, 36, 40, 48, 64 of these, as long as they are cheaper than a trw, people will be doing insane multiples.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did some more testing on this beast last night with HD DVD of The 300. I used the auto test setting on the SMS-1 then fired it up. DAMN, this thing is a beast. Still needs some fine tuning but I think I scared myself a couple times. Best of all I know this thing is just cruising and not even working hard. Cant wait to get to hear WOTW, Master and Commander, The Haunting and all the other cool bass demo material I have.

·
Banned
776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawnyman /forum/post/12924147

Since my boxbuilding mojo is not so strong

[/IMG]

I'm going to disagree with you. I think this looks great. Simple yet rugged. 18" drivers are impressive anyway.

Good job, welcome to the 18" club.

Master and Commander is OF THE CHAIN. Good luck with that.

·
Banned
776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/12956205

You want a house, we all want a CNC shop and a semi full of 190's and MDF.

No fair.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Lomax /forum/post/12968222

You want a house, we all want a CNC shop and a semi full of 190's and MDF.

No fair.

I may have fixed the house situation...need to get to the bank and find out

·
Registered
459 Posts
yeah i have about the same set-up...dual 19OV's sealed in 11ft...and ill tell you right now...Master and Commander will scare the crap out of you...i remember firing up the first scene and almost having to change my pants!! overall these drivers are a blast to use and i couldnt be happier! glad to see someone else enjoying something similar!

Now for a nice dual ported setup!!
man this stuff is addicting!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts