AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the eD a2-300 vs HSU STF-2 vs HSU VTF-2 MK III.

I don't have a "budget" per se, but I hate wasting money.

I live in an apartment, and likely will live in an apartment for the foreseeable future (3-5 yrs).

I DO NOT listen to things loud. I never have, and likely never will, listen to movies where you can feel it in your chest. I sometimes get close to that level, but never crank it that high or higher.

My room currently is approximately 15x15x8.5, but its hard to say, because its a very open design with the kitchen.

I would say my use is 40% HT, 30% gaming, and 30% music. Again, I do not listen to things LOUD. I do care a lot about music quality.

I would PREFER STRONGLY to pay $350 or less, but would be willing to go higher if it were "the last sub I would ever buy."

I currently have a Onkyo HTiB 230W 10" sub that got excellent reviews when I bought it. I think it is rated to 30 hz. Would I be upgrading significantly? I also would consider a Polk psw505.

My other components are a Onkyo 7.1 100w/ch AVR, Polk Monitor 60s, CS2 center, and Monitor 30 rears.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The general rule of thumb is to buy the biggest sub you can afford. The VTF-2 would be the choice in this case. However, the HSU STF-2 would probably do fine in that room, but you would likely have to upgrade after 5 years when you move to something larger than an apartment. Oh, and yes, any of these will crush that Onkyo sub.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rnatalli, thanks for the reply.

Would these subs sound a lot better or just be louder? (I keep my current sub set at about 35% output on the dial).

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
These subs would sound louder and better. In these circumstances, I would go for the STF2. Although the A2-300 can get louder, it won't certainly surpass the STF2 in sound quality, and since you are not going to be using the full power of these things, it doesn't make sense to get something that is simply louder. I used to have a STF2 myself, it is a terrific sub.

A couple more things, since you are in a apartment, you should think about Gramma's , or something like them. They absorb the mechanical energy of the subwoofer so it doesn't transfer to the floor and then to the ceiling and walls of your neighbors.

Also, placement will also play a big part in the output of your sub. In a room like yours it might not matter too much, but I would still make an effort to find the best place, so you can achieve the greatest amount of bass with the least amount of actual output from the sub. Your neighbors will thank you. Both ED and Hsu will help you find the best place for the sub in your room, in fact that is one of Hsu's specialty's, they even have a dedicated forum just for that at their website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts