AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my a2 300 for about a month and so far so good. Last nite i decided to make it hit a lil harder and it totally miss hit the bass. I have a denon 1909 and i put the volume on +10 with the sub volume halfway. Anybody know what this could be?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
you're going to have to be a bit more specific on what happened and what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sounds like it clipped or bottomed out
Not a good idea to max out you're sub level. Since you have the sub volume half way and maxed you're sub level that is a good way to pass a clipped signal to the sub. If you want it to hit a little harder try raising you subs volume to 2 o'clock and back down you're sub level in the receiver.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t /forum/post/17010085

Sounds like it clipped or bottomed out
Not a good idea to max out you're sub level. Since you have the sub volume half way and maxed you're sub level that is a good way to pass a clipped signal to the sub. If you want it to hit a little harder try raising you subs volume to 2 o'clock and back down you're sub level in the receiver.

Agreed. You probably sent a clipped signal to the subwoofer with the subwoofer trim set to +10. Combine that with having the amp set pretty high as well and it's likely you bottomed the sub as well. Try turning one (or both) of the settings down.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/17010211

Agreed. You probably sent a clipped signal to the subwoofer with the subwoofer trim set to +10. Combine that with having the amp set pretty high as well and it's likely you bottomed the sub as well. Try turning one (or both) of the settings down.

That is correct, but the sub is only at the 12 o'clock position which isn't to bad at all. The biggest mistake he made was maxing out the sub level in the receiver. What he should really do to achieve a little more (hotter bass) is turn his subs volume to around 2 o'clock and back down his sub level in the receiver to around 0db to start. Sounded like he wanted to see what this puppy can do so to speak.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no the +10 was just the total volume. I kept the sub trim at 0 db. It sounded like it clipped but i havent tryed it again with any different settings to make sure its not the actual sub itself.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggamandan /forum/post/17041926

i just watched a movie with reciever at -5 and the sub clipped again. What could be wrong with it...im getting so angry.

every sub has it's limits, i guess you're just asking to much from it. either add a second or replace it with something bigger.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggamandan /forum/post/17041926

i just watched a movie with reciever at -5 and the sub clipped again. What could be wrong with it...im getting so angry.

Hard to say without knowing more. As said above every sub has it's limits and -5, if that's from Reference is pretty high.

How did you set the sub up originally? Did you use Audyssey or do a manual setup and if it was manual what were you using to level match the speakers and sub?

What is the subs level set to in the receiver and where is the gain set on the sub?

Did you have Dynamic EQ set to on or off when this happened?

What movie and scene where you watching that caused this. It's it just one scene or others as well?

You said you adjusted it to make it hit harder. Did you raise the sub level in the receiver or the subs gain and by how much above the original setup levels are you raising it?

What size room is the A2-300 in and is it open to any other areas/rooms or a closed in room? How far is the listening position from the sub?

Without knowing more it sounds like your just pushing the sub past it's capable limits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts