AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says, I placed an order last week. The 350's are in stock now and ready to ship otherwise I wouldn't have wanted to endure the long wait that often comes with buying from ED. I did get their optional gloss black finish which I was told actually shortens lead time though not sure the extra $170 is really worth it. The standard matte black is quite a bargain at $800. I had previously (months ago) had an Empire on order but called last minute to cancel because I needed to save for another car as mine had just died.

I've thorougly looked into all the ID subs about $1k shipped and under. I narrowed my search down to the new Hsu 15", ED A5-350, and Epik Empire. I have looked over a ton of threads and read good and bad on all three. A lot of it is subjective, I know.

I have already owned three subs. I first had a Hsu Stf-2 (10") in my HT, then later after selling that one came a Stf-3 (12"). I sold the 12" later and I currently have a BA VR500 10" in my computer system.

I want more headroom as I listen almost exclusively to movies if I decide to crank it on bass heavy movie scenes and without signs of stress, but also have that intense midbass impact. We play a lot of halo and the thing I didn't like with the Stf-3 was the explosions were overpowering and not very focused though maybe they were intended to sound that way. I never calibrated the sub so I'm sure that didn't help and probably always had it turned a little hot.

Has anyone come from an A5-350 to the Empire or vice versa? Is the midbass impact (hit you in the chest feeling) of the Empire much greater than the other two subs? I really felt that was missing with the Hsu's. They got plenty loud and the occasional explosion would catch you off guard but it was pretty rare to actually jump from the impact. That's what I would like.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
They are all great subs. It will be an upgrade for sure. Most important thing to get performance you are looking for with any sub is finding optimal placement and calibrating the sub.

If you don't like it after getting it you have the option of returning it. I prefer to research and ask questions before making my purchase. I don't think anyone is going to tell you to cancel an order that you are getting the upgraded paint on. I really feel you will be very happy with it after proper setup.

Has anyone come from an A5-350 to the Empire or vice versa? Is the midbass impact (hit you in the chest feeling) of the Empire much greater than the other two subs? I really felt that was missing with the Hsu's.

I don't know if it was missing in previous HSU's (probably due more to your placement and calibration), but I can tell you it is not missing on the current VTF-15h.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
There is simply no comparison between those two Hsu subs...No comparison at all, when you go from a STF-2 to a VTF-15H. The VTF-15 is way way more powerful than the little STF-2.

Guaranteed!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome /forum/post/19643400

There is simply no comparison between those two Hsu subs...No comparison at all, when you go from a STF-2 to a VTF-15H. The VTF-15 is way way more powerful than the little STF-2.

Guaranteed!

So what are you saying cacihome? You really like the new sub or what?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
HHAHAHAHAHA!!!I just got bored!

Was planning on hijack your ULS-15 thread posting how much I love my VTF-15H....but I dont want to be be kicked out!!!!HAHAHHAHA

I have my ULS in the closet...I really don't need it in my living room with that beast...MMMM...Maybe I will try to smoother the curve adding the ULS, and plugging the ports on the VTF-15H to make it sealed...

Maybe this weekend I'll get to do that...It will be easy to do I think...Will report back...

Take care man,

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome /forum/post/19643588

HHAHAHAHAHA!!!I just got bored!

Was planning on hijack your ULS-15 thread posting how much I love my VTF-15H....but I dont want to be be kicked out!!!!HAHAHHAHA

I have my ULS in the closet...I really don't need it in my living room with that beast...MMMM...Maybe I will try to smoother the curve adding the ULS, and plugging the ports on the VTF-15H to make it sealed...

Maybe this weekend I'll get to do that...It will be easy to do I think...Will report back...

Take care man,

But Cacihome it is not my thread. It is a thread for anyone who has owned or is planning on owning the ULS-15 subwoofer(s). This way there is a constant sharing of information to get the best performance out of the ULS-15s. Maybe you should have visited more often.
So you are always welcome anytime amigo, even if it is in the closet.
Just leave your VTF-15H at the door.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/19643645

But Cacihome it is not my thread. It is a thread for anyone who has owned or is planning on owning the ULS-15 subwoofer(s). This way there is a constant sharing of information to get the best performance out of the ULS-15s. Maybe you should have visited more often.
So you are always welcome anytime amigo, even if it is in the closet.
Just leave your VTF-15H at the door.

I know...I was just messing with you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts