AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eD A5s-300 or Epik Legend or SVS SB12-NSD

Just wondering what everyones opinion would be on these three subs. The eD and SVS are of the size that I feel would be best, since i am going to be living in an apartment. I am just looking for input or these subwoofers, the pros and cons or each and which sub you would personally recommend and why. Thanks for looking and your time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
you might want to consider HSU VTF-2 & Rythmik FV12 too.

HSU is more popular and time tested. But, I believe the FV12 stands out as the better choice at this price. Great for movies & music, more of a musical sub but dosent lag in the movies. Goes low, plays tight, linear & accurate.

·
Banned
677 Posts
Stick with your sealed choices in an apartment. Since you won't be pushing these to limits, go with the form factor and finish you prefer- output and SQ just won't be very different at the playback levels you're looking at, you can't really go wrong here.

SVS wins the beauty contest, size, quality and reputation; eD likely output king with it's lil' 25mm xmax pounder (Epik might be right there since it's working with two cheaper drivers in a larger box) and eD would likely finish it however you wanted; the Epik has an advantage being dual opposed (inertness, set your coffee on it).

If that helps any.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGBADDABOOM /forum/post/0

Stick with your sealed choices in an apartment. Since you won't be pushing these to limits, go with the form factor and finish you prefer- output and SQ just won't be very different at the playback levels you're looking at, you can't really go wrong here.

SVS wins the beauty contest, size, quality and reputation; eD likely output king with it's lil' 25mm xmax pounder (Epik might be right there since it's working with two cheaper drivers in a larger box) and eD would likely finish it however you wanted; the Epik has an advantage being dual opposed (inertness, set your coffee on it).

If that helps any.

Actually that says almost everthing you need to know.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Well I thought of something to add regarding sound rather than form factor since BIGBADDABOOM nailed that. The Legend will likely play cleanest with more headroom given it's drivers will be coasting with lower distortion. It likely has extra midbass like the Empire so the SVS would probably be easier to get flatter response with proper placement/setup without eq. Tweaking the Legend's LPF can get you closer to the SVS' linear response. Anyone of them should do well in a small sealed room.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't heard any of these subs, so my comments are based solely on my reviews of various threads, reviews, comments, etc. while I was researching the same topic. Supposedly, the eD sub is better for home theater, while the Epik is better for music. The SVS does both well, but it is more expensive, and keeps going in and out of stock. Some people have complained that the Epik's amp runs very hot, but according to the company's owner and designer, it is designed to run hot, with no loss of sound or damage to the amp or driver. I don't think that this would sway me from buying the Legend - in fact, until recently, I was seriously considering it. All three companies are reputable, and people think that they all have excellent customer relations.

I don't know that there are any shootouts directly comparing smaller subs as these. I think that many people buy a sub, are happy about it and then advise others to buy it based on their experience. My guess is that whatever sub you end up buying, you will be happy with it as well (and also recommend it to others). The major issue is whether you want to pay an additional amount for the SVS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at the eD, for being the right size, not too big for a 12" and the price point. The epik is bigger than the eD, so it would probably be last on my list unless I hear that the Epik would just blow away the eD. Mostly I was just wondering if the extra money for the SVS sub would be worth it.

·
Banned
677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYLINEGTRVS /forum/post/20838941

I was looking at the eD, for being the right size, not too big for a 12" and the price point. The epik is bigger than the eD, so it would probably be last on my list unless I hear that the Epik would just blow away the eD. Mostly I was just wondering if the extra money for the SVS sub would be worth it.

Sounds like you're right on target. If the sex appeal does it for you, go with the SVS. Otherwise, the eD will get the job done just as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.