AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Well I'm at a crossroads right now. Let me give you a quick background. Many years ago I went from no sub, to an HSU VTF 2, sold that after many years of fun to buy a ED a7s450. The driver on that died and at that point I didn't have the funds for anything else so I pushed it in the corner. A little time passed and I ended up buying a acoustech BIC PL-200. That was to hold me over until I could save up for a "real" subwoofer again. Turns out that sub was surprisingly good and I ended up keeping it for a couple years.

Well in that time I have had my eye on svs, hsu, PSA among other subs. Just lurking and reading and thinking. I finally saved up and was ready for a new sub. I ended up with a PSA xv15se. Its a great sub. I'm still in my 30 day trial and was pretty much set on returning the xv in exchange for the new v1500. A little deeper, a little louder, ice amp. For not much more $. Why not?

But...I've been thinking, I still have that a7s450 sitting in the corner. Dead driver but perfectly functioning LT1300 amp in a 4.5 sealed enclosure. I had contemplated before of just replacing the driver in it but was mesmerized by the thought of a new sub all together. So now I'm thinking, how would the Dayton UM 18-22 work in it? For under $300 I could replace the dead driver in the ED. That was a monster of a sub when it worked! Then I could either just keep the xv15se and incorporate both sub's into the system...providing it isn't a problem having a ported and a sealed in the same system...or compare the two and if the ED with Dayton driver turns out to be a better sub to my ears, return the PSA for a refund and use the money for another area of the system. New receiver maybe, better surrounds etc.

So what do you all think? What would you do?

Paul

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the main thing holding me back from replacing the driver in the ed is the idea that I spend the $280 on the Dayton and for one reason or another the LT1300 amp takes a dump. Its no secret that ED had quality problems and I'm assuming that is why they are no longer in business. I know its only $280...but its $280. Money I could use to get the PSA v1500 and not have any worries. But I also have heard that the LT1300 amp is supposed to be a tank and that problems with them were few and far between. What to do...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should add here that the decision is a big deal because for me this is a huge purchase. It takes me awhile to save up for something like this and then to actually convince my better half that I absolutely need to spend that much $ on a big box that is going to rattle peoples brains and shake the walls, well I'm sure you all know what I mean. The fact that I'm able to be in this position to even have a couple options to consider is pretty amazing in itself. So I'm trying to seize the opportunity here. Whatever I go with now is going to be what I live with for a very long time regardless of what happens.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Keep the xv15se and get a new 18 in driver. You could also get the SI 18Ht for around 175 or so.

2 subs will greatly improve your sound quality and freq response.

I wouldn't worry too much about your amp. The lt1300 didn't have too many problems (if any)...it's also an ice based amp, and an awesome one at that. The amps that had problems were the non ice amps (lower models).

I had a pair of a7s450s. Never had any problems with the amps...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm really leaning towards just buying the Dayton, keeping the xv15se and using both subs. Spending an extra $150 on the v1500 is going to get me marginal improvement. Improvement yes...but not severely noticeable improvement. But for $280 for the dayton, and providing the ed amp stay strong, i have to imagine the improvement with both of those sub's running together would be astronomical compared to one v1500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts