1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
765 Posts
This seems like a good start for the ed cinema speaker thread. The other thread is a comparison and I have never heard the cht products...I should have mine in a couple weeks and will post here on the 12's.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Originally they will be released in a light textured finish, especially because many will put them behind screens. It allows us to acheive a nice textured finish on the birch ply.

This image shows what the finish looks like the best.

We can also do our slightly higher end finish seen on our other full range speakers.

If we use this finish, cost will increase ever so slightly due to the labor cost increase. The weight of the cabinets will increase due to using EFS for the cabinet construction as well.

The final finish option at this time is gloss black as seen here. This is niceguyedy's center channel.

If you want to see more of the gloss black, check out niceguyedy's thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1288099

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
What would the markup be for the "slightly higher end finish"? The textured look may work behind a screen or on a sub hidden somewhere, but it's not gonna win the WAF in a lot of rooms. The gloss finish is nice, but I've found they typically light up like the Vegas strip when my PJ comes on. The smooth, satin finish works best for me, with AT screen owners in the minority that really should come standard, IMO.

·
Registered
765 Posts
just got my ed 12's...only 2 waiting for the other one. Checked levels and found I had to reduce the level of the ed speakers 5 db's less then the klipsch kl-650...not sure why, the sensitivity is about the same...I think anyway. I first plugged them in and thought man these things are loud, so I went ahaed and checked the speaker levels and really had to crank them down to match the surrounds...I guess thats a good thing. Packaging was very suspect and was slightly concerned when they arrived but looked ok other then some paint missing off the one corner towards the back...not a big deal but still need to give them a good look over.

First impression is that these thing are fantastic as far as theater goes...all I care about and didn't listen to them with any music yet. I only had 20 minutes to play with them and thats all the time I have until Sunday. In a fishing tourney for the next 4 days and as soon as i get back, I'll tinker around and see if my first impressions stick...really didn't play with them very long.

With a quick hear, I like them as much, if not more, then the kl-650's but that was just a quick listen.

Goin Fishin!

·
Registered
374 Posts
mrcoop,

Great to hear you got them in. I heard several people mention Klipsch overstates the sensitivity of their speakers, your experience seems to be in line with that.

Did you get the stock drivers?

I look forward to hearing your impressions of them and in comparison to the Klipsch, they should only get better as they get broken in.....congrats.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Mr coop did get the standard versions. Packaging was a little make shift due to the eD[c]12 boxes not arriving yet and wanting to get them out to Mrcoop asap.

I have called and left a message to get him taken care of with any damage.

I am really surprised to hear a 5db difference in SPL levels.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop /forum/post/20987121

Alex, not really damage just a paint chip. Not a big deal and I can touch it up.

How did you think the ed's compared to the klipsch mains? I have been considering going with the kl650's for a long time but if the ed's would be better then that would change things. I am looking forward to hearing your opinions on these two!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.