AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scanned the threads (really I have), and can't seem to find a single-stop answer to my questions.

With only standard cable (not HD or even digital) and a DVD for input, plus all I've been reading about the Panasonic EDs, I've pretty much decided on an ED plasma. And from what I've read, a current favorite seems to be the 42PWD7UY.

But it looks like I would have to buy several add-ons in order to use it like a "regular" TV: a stand, stereo speakers, a tuner, and ???. Whereas the consumer model comes with most/all of the above. Is this correct?

Will a WD7UY take a component feed from my DVD, or would I need an accessory card?

Would it be worthwhile to buy an HDMI interface card for DVD?

It also looks like the commercial and consumer versions might use different displays, as the brightness specs differ. If this is true, is the picture on the commercial model enough better to justify buying it piecemeal?

I've ever seen the commercial model live, and from what I've read, it will be next to impossible to A-B them, as most stores don't carry both.

To cut to the chase, I would appreciate any answers to the above questions, as well as your opinions, subjective or otherwise.

yobob

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Either display would be very good for you. The PQ would be about the same with maybe a slight edge to the commercial '7' because it is a slightly newer set than the consumer display. The newest Panasonic consumer model will be out in the next 2 or 3 months, it is said. The main thing you have to decide is whether or not you need the extras which, in affect, add up to $700 or so. I just recently got a great buy on the consumer display at a Best Buy store. Bottom line, you will get a great picture on either one!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The 7uy does not come with a stand, speakers, cable card slot, or ntsc/atsc tuner and an blade for HDMI would have to be purchased. The 25U does not have 3:2 pull down or 720P input (nice if you have an xbox).

By the time you add the accessories to the 7uy, the price is comparable to the 25U.

25U comes with 1 HDMI, you could by 2 HDMI blades for the 7uy.

The 7uy is 7th generation, while the 25U is 6th generation. By the end of the year the consumer replacement for the 25U should be available. It is possible the next consumer model will remedy the (verfy limited) existing deficiencies in the 25U

Ask youself these questions:

Do I want the lowest price and don't mind ordering from an on-line vendor - (The 7uy is mainly available on-line).

Can I wait until the end of the year and see what the next consumer version brings to the table?

Do I need speakers?

Do I need a built in tuner?

Do I have an Xbox and need 720p support?

It really depends on your individual situation which is better.

JCPZero

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yobob

Will a WD7UY take a component feed from my DVD, or would I need an accessory card?

Would it be worthwhile to buy an HDMI interface card for DVD?

yobob
The 7uy will take a component feed from you DVD without adding a card.

The future is HDMI. I have read many posts comparing component to HDMI - for pq alone I have not been convinced HDMI is necessary. BUT, future HD DVD and HD DVRs may only output 1080i via HDMI. There may be copy protection reasons why component will not be allowed to output 1080i and be limited to 480p. As I said, HDMI is the future. You may not need it for the current line of devices - but it may become necessary in the future. I should think you could add an HDMI blade down the road if you went with the 7uy. Although not absolutely necessary today, I would only buy a TV with an HDMI input.

JCPZero

·
Registered
414 Posts
There are advantages to the consumer model. It has the stand, an HD tuner (really nice, I love mine, specially for sports), SD card reader and speakers. It's a tough choice for me as the Costco store has that model for very cheap, as cheap as many mail order places but with the great return policy. The problem for me is taxes. I can easily justify the commercial model as a business need as it's a display, not a television and in my tax bracket, that's worth about 40% as a business deduction. So as you can see, it's not all black and white, you have to get what suits your needs. If it wasn't for tax reasons I would likely get the consumer model.

·
Registered
47 Posts
-----------
Quote:
Originally posted by yobob
I've scanned the threads (really I have), and can't seem to find a single-stop answer to my questions.

With only standard cable (not HD or even digital) and a DVD for input, plus all I've been reading about the Panasonic EDs, I've pretty much decided on an ED plasma. And from what I've read, a current favorite seems to be the 42PWD7UY.

yobob
------------

Your msg says you will only use standard cable and not HD or digital. I just bought consumer 42" ED panny over the weekend. I had only standard cable hooked up to it (from former 27" CRT). Football games looked OK, network TV was so-so. Wife hated it ("Why did we spend $X thousand dollars on a TV for worse reception than we had?") and I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach. Yes, DVD's looked awesome so we watched a few movies while I bought some time until my Digital cable install on monday...

Come monday, OMIGOD what a difference. I'll say this clearly..You need digital cable and HiDef; even the networks so called HiDef versions are sweet.

Without sounding like an a-hole, I have to ask why buy an HDTV if you arent' going to watch HD cable? I suggest you re-think the "no digital no HD" plan. Anyone else?

EP

·
Registered
155 Posts
yobob:

If your goal is to use it as a normal TV (rather than a display in a home theater setup), then I'd think the consumer model would be a much better fit for your needs.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
yobob, based on the questions you asked, I think the consumer model is what you should get. The commercial models are primarily aimed for just that - commercial use - airport, mall, control room displays. They have no tuners, FCC Class A devices, etc. People in this forum tend to have full 5.1 home theater setups with pricey speakers, receivers, cable & satellite hookups, external tuners, and so on.

But it sounds like you don't , so get the consumer model. Even if you add a receiver with some good quality speakers - can be done for less than the price of the plasma, the consumer model can used as a second TV somewhere else in the house somewhere down the road. However, the 7th gen Panasonic consumer models are likely to come out soon. What we don't know is exactly when - it could be in the next few weeks or perhaps after the first of the year. Up to you to decide if you want to wait.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by buellwinkle
There are advantages to the consumer model. It has the stand, an HD tuner (really nice, I love mine, specially for sports), SD card reader and speakers. It's a tough choice for me as the Costco store has that model for very cheap, as cheap as many mail order places but with the great return policy. The problem for me is taxes. I can easily justify the commercial model as a business need as it's a display, not a television and in my tax bracket, that's worth about 40% as a business deduction. So as you can see, it's not all black and white, you have to get what suits your needs. If it wasn't for tax reasons I would likely get the consumer model.
Costco has the TH-42PA25U/P. Difference from the 42PD25 is an all silver frame, no cable card, no ATSC tuner, no SD card reader. Everything should be the same.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks to all who responded.

Additional info:

Where I live the only source of HD is satellite. There are a couple ranges of small mountains/very tall hills between where I live and the nearest HD transmitters, around 70-80 miles northwest. No LOS. Analog cable is our only source of network programming.

Although we regularly watch DVDs, we don't watch enough TV to justify digital cable (a fourfold increase in cost, and HD cable is not even available). We always try to catch the evening news, and, infrequently, a network movie. Probably average no more than ten to fifteen hours/week.

So you may be asking, "Why bother?"

We have a nice HT setup with 5.1 sound, and our 25" XBR just seems small. After looking at DLP, DILA, and LCD RPs, the only thing that seems to meet the WAF is plasma.

Based on what I've read above, I think it would be prudent to go with a consumer unit. And with the 7th generation Panas due out soon, I can be content to wait a little longer. I've been around the block so many times already, a couple months more won't matter.

Who knows, maybe we'll be so blown away with the new plasma we'll double the time we spend watching.

Once again, thanks to all of you who took the time to respond!

yobob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.