AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase some new HT speakers and need some advice. I though I had decided on an eD system, but now I'm having second thoughts. I keep hearing about the JBL L series towers and wondered if anyone had an opinion on the matter. My budget is a little constrained because of a new home purchase. I need an entire system (including sub) and I've got an absolute max of 1500, but would prefer to stay around 1000-1200. I'm open to going w/o a sub for a bit if necessary.

I've already considered AV123 and Aperion, but they're a bit more than I would like to spend. I've found the JBLs for "auction" well within my range, but not including a sub. The eD setup with their package discount is still on the top of my list, but I'm not married to them. Any ideas?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, my room is 20x18x8. I'm looking at the eD towers, 6T6 center, 5T5 surrounds (7.1) and the A5-350 sub with the amp upgrade. As far as the JBLs go, I'm thinking the L880/890, LC2 center, L820s for surrounds (probably still going to get the A5-350, just later down the road).

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
While I haven't heard the eD's, I can't imagine a better value than the JBL L-Series. Great neutral, dynamic, attractive, and affordable loudspeakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi

i've got a pair of jbl L890's and am looking for a stereo amp to power it. at looking at the nad 372. any comments???

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boofa_2001 /forum/post/12927918

I'm about to purchase some new HT speakers and need some advice. I though I had decided on an eD system, but now I'm having second thoughts. I keep hearing about the JBL L series towers and wondered if anyone had an opinion on the matter. My budget is a little constrained because of a new home purchase. I need an entire system (including sub) and I've got an absolute max of 1500, but would prefer to stay around 1000-1200. I'm open to going w/o a sub for a bit if necessary.

I've already considered AV123 and Aperion, but they're a bit more than I would like to spend. I've found the JBLs for "auction" well within my range, but not including a sub. The eD setup with their package discount is still on the top of my list, but I'm not married to them. Any ideas?

I can only comment on the towers as I'm still waiting on my A6-6T6 MTM's and A5-350 with upgrade. (My setup would be similar to yours, just using the A6-6T6 MTM's for surrounds instead for 5ch music).

These tower are superb sounding - I just finished breaking them in for 8 hours or so. The highs are detailed and crisp, but quite mellow. By mellow, I mean that you can listen to them for hours and not experience ear fatigue. The vocals are very clear as well and the mids are warm but well-defined. These towers also have lots of bass to them, but it's smooth, not boomy. Overall, I'd say they are a little on the warm side, but I happen to prefer warmer sound and I may not be fair in calling the speakers warm since I use an HK receiver which is warm to begin with.

When trying to decide between the two, keep in mind the 15% package discount eD gives when you use their package builder. Getting these towers for $425 shipped is a steal, as they truly sound like they should be more like at least $1000 a pair. Also, building a package through eD allows you to apply that discount to the sub, so the price for the A5-350 w/ upgrade became $552.50 + $65 for the upgrade.

I went through these pains as well when choosing new speakers... it's tough to choose something you can't audition. Ultimately, I chose eD because of what other eD others told me about the sound, and how it seemed they just couldn't be beat for what you get at that price point. After receiving the towers (they are beasts and look a lot more slick in person) and listening to them for several hours with a variety of content, I couldn't be happier.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I don't have any sort of comparison for you on the JBLs. The only thing I've heard from JBL are the Stadiums @ Best Buy. They were ok but left me looking for more. I can however say that my I have been nothing but pleased with my eD towers. Like Metalheadisme said the sound is very detailed and very natural. I'd have to say that bang for the buck you're going to be hard pressed to find a better deal, but obviously since I have them I'm biased.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 /forum/post/16272239

Is really unfair to compare the Stadiums with the "L" series. another class. JMHO

Completely agreed. It's like driving a Toyota Corolla and said I didn't like it, I guess I won't like the Toyota Avalon. The L Series have received great reviews and in a different class. If it was my money, my money would be on the JBL as well. For the prices they are going for now is a STEAL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts