AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like so many of our friends on this forum, I am torn between the 42" Panny ED vs HD decision. However, I am trying to decide between the two based purely on my viewing habits, PQ, connectivity and other specifications - NOT PRICE. My question is - if price was not a factor, which one would you choose and why?

For HD source, the vote definitely goes to HD panel. But for me, HD source is not that important as I am looking to buy it with a 3 year horizon during which I would end up watching SD TV and DVD for 80% of the time.

Hence, for DVD and SDTV, how do they really compare if the observation was not at all colored by pricing factor. Is the ED panel ACTUALLY better than HD for SDTV sources and DVD? If that is the indeed the case, I would buy an ED even if the cost differential is minimal. Or is the HD panel better on these sources also but the difference in PQ is too little to justify 50% increase in pricing.

What do people on this forum think? If price for both ED and HD panels were equal and HD source was not at all important to you, which one would you choose?

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Price being equal:

ED for SD

HD for HD

ED for DVD

HD for XBOX

HD for D-VHS

HD Cause it's cool to say "I have HD and it does 100905088503850 *110903920930293920"

That being said - Price/PQ/Value/How Long I'll have it and my churn on electronics factored in and I went ED. My only regret is not HD but 50in. No space or $$$ at the moment for it.

Therese

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Bingo,

That's why I bought an ED, SD and DVD NOW, HD later and it will still look better than my 50" Mits 2 year old 4:3 set.

I actually was lucky enough, I say lucky because I'm sure it doesn't happen alot, to view a 42" ED as well as a 42" HD panel displaying SD content (it was Dish). The 42" HD showed "blockiness" and was soft where the ED looked soft but the blockiness wasn't as apparent....at least too me. To you it may seem opposite. YMMV.

Try to see each with all feeds SD, HD, DVD than only you can decide if it will be appropriate for your needs.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
What is your viewing distance? If 8 feet or less, then the HD display will definitely look better because the pixel structure is much less visible. However, at 10+ feet, IMHO, the ED display looks a little better because it is brighter and appears to have slightly better contrast. You will be hard pressed to tell any difference in apparent resolution between them at 12 feet, even with HD material.

-Steve

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think I would disagree with the 'HD for Xbox' conclusion, at least on my Panasonic ED plasma (third generation). Since it accepts a 720p or 1080i signal, I still get the benefit of 720p games.

I know that it would initially seem that a game running at 720p displayed at 480p would look no different than a 480p game running at 480p, but that is absolutely not the case, at least with NBA2K3 and especially WSB2K3. There is a huge, spectacular difference with the 720p mode. There's also a pretty comprehensive anti-aliasing effect from the 720p mode scaled down to 480p.

This may vary widely by plasma, so what I'm saying is certainly not conclusive, but on my screen that's the case, at least.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey billharris4 -

curious about your comments:

"I think I would disagree with the 'HD for Xbox' conclusion, at least on my Panasonic ED plasma (third generation). Since it accepts a 720p or 1080i signal, I still get the benefit of 720p games."

What ED Panny do you have that lets you do this?

Reason I ask: I think I agree with sanjiva about the ED vs HD decision and XBOX (Halo 2 specifically) is my big issue.

thanks...

- J.D.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by billharris4
I think I would disagree with the 'HD for Xbox' conclusion, at least on my Panasonic ED plasma (third generation). Since it accepts a 720p or 1080i signal, I still get the benefit of 720p games.

I would agree with the original assertion, 'HD for 'XBox', if HD games are your primary goal. An ED plasma may "accept" 720p and 1080i, but i believe an HD plasma would display them better.

Warning: I have never seen an HD game on a plasma, this is just a semi-educated guess.

Regards,

John Flegert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.