AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the deal with him? I saw him being interviewed at the Golden Globes after winning Best Supporting Actor and he was asked,

"So what does this award mean to you?" and he replied something to the effect "This is proof I can do serious work."

And not a week later we have commercials on TV promoting the same old garbage NORBIT he always does.

Is it the studios that's forcing him to do this garbage or is it just him? I have the sense it's him.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Okay, maybe this doesn't really answer what you're getting at, but I'm rolling with this anyway:

I'm smirking while writing this, since my 15 year old daughter was watching the Nuggets game with me last night. After watching that Carmen Elektra commercial for whatever product where she wears the hot dress to go "bowling", my daughter asked me if bimbos are really dumb or just play up the perception of being dumb to make more money.

Call me cynical if you want to, but I think of most Hollywood-types in that way, that is, they'll do what they need to do in order to make as much money as possible while they still can & Eddie Murphy is no exception. (I actually heard that Ms. Elektra has a 175 IQ & is just that good at playing dumb... okay... truthfully, no I didn't but did anyone buy that for a second or two?)

It doesn't matter to me whether it's driven by contractual obligations, or his inner Pluto Nash driving him toward this stuff like a moth is drawn to the flame. Eddie Muphy is in it for the money. And I really don't let something like that impact whether I watch him in his next movie, the same way that winning his award won't really determine that for me either.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
Lets hope they actually do something new with Beverly Hills Cop 4....in fact here's an idea ...don't set it in Beverly Hills...don't have anything to do with Beverly Hills in the plot and change his outfit.....I only ever liked the first Beverly Hills Cop and even that looks a little aged nowadays but some of the lines are still funny.....Eddie's in it for as much money as possible and from what i hear he's back to his womanising ways ( must be the mid life crisis ) shame really as the guy has never really pushed himself with the movies he tends to do and he does have real talent but some of the scripts he get are so bad ( can anyone say typecast )

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
He was brillliant in Dream Girls. I am totally sick of Norbit-type movies, and what is with his fascination of getting in fat suits? I really hate that crap.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I'd be surprised if he needs the money- his third go as Donkey in the Shrek movies should see to that. His last decent success in an onscreen comedy was Nutty Professor and this is an obvious attempt to serve up more of the same.

·
Registered
29,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredProgGH /forum/post/0

I'd be surprised if he needs the money-

The guy's got several ex-wives and about a dozen children. I bet he does need every penny he can scrape together.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman /forum/post/0

He was brillliant in Dream Girls. I am totally sick of Norbit-type movies, and what is with his fascination of getting in fat suits? I really hate that crap.

I saw that and thought, gee a guy in a fat suit, I wonder why no one ever thought of that gimmick before

·
Registered
7,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/0

The guy's got several ex-wives and about a dozen children. I bet he does need every penny he can scrape together.

True.

·
Registered
19,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, but my point of the thread was that he's a hyporcrite. On the one hand he's saying he doesn't want to do the same old crap anymore, then right after there's a Norbit commercial.

I suppose people want to see him in those types of movies or he wouldn't do them. What was the last good comedy (or movie) before Dreamgirls he was in? Bowfinger?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Even Bowfinger doesn't hold up very well on a second viewing. IMO Eddie's last great starring vehicle was Trading Places.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
And it was only his second film
Actually, I thought it was after Beverly Hills Cop and it was actually just before. So I can see people at least granting him that one more even though I think I stay behind my statement. Some people might even give him Coming To America but I thought that one was fairly weak myself. Three decent films, and all downhill from there. Definitely a shame.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 2 were great! They were good action movies with a bit of comedy added to them... The problem with Beverly Hills Cop 3 is that it's a comedy with a bit of action added to it... Are they really making a 4th?

Both 48 hrs, Coming to America and Trading Places were good movies... And I also like both Shrek movies but that's about all of his good movies.

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
So Eddie's the only hypocrite in Hollywood? Please......sometimes actors choose parts because they love a script or certain character, sometimes they simply do a part to pay for college-tuition for the kiddies or a vacation home.

I personally think he peaked at The Nutty Professor and has gone down ever since. But remember who he initially displaced as the number-one box office draw: Burt Reynolds. Meaning, no one last forever in tinsel-town.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.