AVS Forum banner

801 - 820 of 3492 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
The problem is not EDID related, but the TV not being capable of 1:1 pixel mapping. To compensate for overscan the graphic driver must scale the desktop, which was possible on the older Geforce card but not on Intel H55.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Tulli, but I don't think we're on the same page.

In Win7, the Intel driver s/w DOES allow me to reduce the scaling (as long as I use the DVI port - it won't work if I use the HDMI port) to display the desktop fully on my LCD TV. I set the resolution to 1280x720 and use 60/60 scaling. So your comment about the H55 not being able to do scaling seems incorrect? However, if instead I go into custom resolutions, it blanks the TV everytime. (I'm guessing that what is happening is that if the resolution is not specified in the EDID - it just won't send it?)

As for not doing 1:1, yes, I realize that the TV doesn't have a mapping option. But what I found interesting is that if you send it XGA (1024x768), it DOES do a 1:1 (i.e. no overscan). I guess for XGA or lower resolutions, it knows it's a PC video mode, so it displays it at 1:1 - but for any higher resolution it assumes it's a video device connected and thus overscans?

What I'm confused about is scaling versus the custom resolutions. How do these two methods differ? I know that different drivers/companies use slightly different methods to handle overscan, but I'd like to understand this better. For example, when I used a modeline in xorg.conf to correct for the overscan in 720p mode (I used 1216x684), I thought that the graphics card was telling the TV to use 1216x684. Is this not the case? I did not use the nvidia scaling sliders in their app. Are you saying that the nvidia app was indeed scaling based on the modeline, and that it was still sending 1280x720 to the TV?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Woohoo! It worked. I created a DTD for 1216x684, modified the driver's .inf, and re-installed the driver. It added the custom resolution to the list of resolutions and when I applied it to my LCD TV - it did not go blank.
The screen/desktop looks perfect (no overscan). Very pleased. Unfortunately, any resolution > 720p makes it go into "1080i mode", thus I can't even use the native resolution of 1366x768p.

Now to figure out a way to get Ubuntu to do it...

Sorry if this was a bit off-topic, folks. Wasn't sure where to post it.

For those interested, I used some of the info here

http://software.intel.com/en-us/arti...ntel-graphics/

and the DTD calculator software by Clever Tech.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Ok, what I meant is this: a typical LCD (i.e. a fixed pixel display device) will have one set of video timings to sync at its native resolution/"refresh rates", which is stored in the first video descriptor in the EDID base block. If the display device overscans at its native video timings the graphic driver must provide a desktop scaling (or resizing) feature to compensate for overscan. ATI & Nvidia drivers provide this feature (Intel H55 driver does for DVI but not HDMI from what you say).

So as for "custom resolutions", they only make sense where native video timings are not properly detected by the driver (which is not your case), and an EDID override can certainly help there.

You could manage (congratulations!
) to get it to scale, but not at the native video timings of your display device ([email protected]hz). The Intel driver should provide this feature.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvguy /forum/post/18695030

As for not doing 1:1, yes, I realize that the TV doesn't have a mapping option. But what I found interesting is that if you send it XGA (1024x768), it DOES do a 1:1 (i.e. no overscan). I guess for XGA or lower resolutions, it knows it's a PC video mode, so it displays it at 1:1 - but for any higher resolution it assumes it's a video device connected and thus overscans?

This is not 1:1 as the native resolution of your TV is 1366x768. 1:1 always implies no overscan but the converse is not always true!

Your TV will overscan over its HDMI port and won't over its DVI or VGA port (if present).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share my .inf for the Sony DH800. This is just the EDID information from the AV Receiver, I didn't need to add my monitor specifically as the receiver cannot support the native resolution of my Dell 2007WFP (1680x1050). This will just expose all of the formats that the receiver can shunt without the graphics card trying to be clever.

You can also find it on my personal site (see sig).

Thanks RandomFoe and Tulli for finding this out! Beer is most certainly owed!

Alex

EDIDOverride-SONYDH800.inf.txt 2.638671875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Tulli :

Hi, sorry to add to your already immense forum workload
but I have an issue that I can't find a solution for and wondered if you could help. Also a quick apology for the size of this post but I figure the more information the better.

I have a HTPC (Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H with onboard ATI HD3200) connected to an Onkyo 705 amp which is then connected to a Samsung LE46A756 TV, all via HDMI. I used to use Vista Ultimate, Haali, ffdshow, PowerDVD and MediaPortal and everything was great. DD and DTS output from all applications.

I have recently "upgraded" to Windows 7 Ultimate and although PowerDVD 8 Ultra (set-up to use AC3/DTS passthru) still gives DD/DTS output nothing else does. All I now get is 2 channel PCM from Windows, Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic and MediaPortal.

I initially had Catalyst 10.1 (I think) with Haali and ffdshow. As I had problems with video I then installed the MPC codecs (as per the MediaPortal install instructions). Trying to fix this sound issue I then uninstalled ffdshow. As this didn't help I then tried installing AC3filter. Still no good. I installed the Realtek HD audio driver, still the same. I installed all versions of Catalyst up to and including 10.5, still no good. During this time the properties for the HDMI device had DD/DTS/WMA in the supported formats, but only 2 channels.

I read this thread and created a new monitor file using MonInfo, this made no difference.

My last change was to uninstall Haali, Catalyst, Realtek drivers and ac3filter. Reboot. Run a drive cleaner. Reboot. Re-install Catalyst 10.5, Realtek drivers and Haali one at a time re-trying between each one. The HDMI device now only has Dolby as a supported format.

None of this has made any difference. I simply cannot get anything other than 2 channel PCM over the HDMI from Windows 7 (only PowerDVD) and it's starting to frustrate me. I really don't want to re-install the HTPC again using Vista so was wondering if you could help?

Thanks for your time.

Bob.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
AFAIK PDVD simply ignores Windows audio settings. Have you manually set the HDMI audio device to 5.1/7.1?

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli /forum/post/18750311

AFAIK PDVD simply ignores Windows audio settings. Have you manually set the HDMI audio device to 5.1/7.1?

I can't, I only have the option of stereo.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Have you already cleaned up any greyed-out monitor driver on Device Manager? If not follow uninstall instructions from link in my sig. (check the option to delete driver files if available). Uninstall current GenericPnp monitor driver too. Then reboot.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy Bob /forum/post/18750133

I have a HTPC (Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H with onboard ATI HD3200)

During this time the properties for the HDMI device had DD/DTS/WMA in the supported formats, but only 2 channels.

None of this has made any difference. I simply cannot get anything other than 2 channel PCM over the HDMI from Windows 7 (only PowerDVD) and it's starting to frustrate me. I really don't want to re-install the HTPC again using Vista so was wondering if you could help?

2-channel PCM is all the HD 3200 is capable of. You'll get DD 5.1 through PowerDVD but not 5.1 PCM. You've got all you're going to get.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli /forum/post/18750333

Have you already cleaned up any greyed-out monitor driver on Device Manager? If not follow uninstall instructions from link in my sig. (check the option to delete driver files if available). Uninstall current GenericPnp monitor driver too. Then reboot.

Initially there was a single monitor showing in Device Manager - Genericpnp. This has been replaced by the modified EDID driver. Should I uninstall this and reboot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts /forum/post/0

2-channel PCM is all the HD 3200 is capable of. You'll get DD 5.1 through PowerDVD but not 5.1 PCM. You've got all you're going to get.

But I had DD and DTS output from Windows Media Player and MediaPortal (using ffdshow) under Vista, why not under Windows 7?

·
Registered
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy Bob /forum/post/18750356

Initially there was a single monitor showing in Device Manager - Genericpnp. This has been replaced by the modified EDID driver. Should I uninstall this and reboot?

But I had DD and DTS output from Windows Media Player and MediaPortal (using ffdshow) under Vista, why not under Windows 7?

DD PCM. The Dolby Digital signal is passed straight from the source media to the receiver without doing anything to it. You still have that on Windows 7. PCM is handled by software and the HD3200 can't handle it.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts /forum/post/18750368

DD PCM. The Dolby Digital signal is passed straight from the source media to the receiver without doing anything to it. You still have that on Windows 7. PCM is handled by software and the HD3200 can't handle it.

But my issue is I CAN'T get DD from Windows 7. No matter what I do all I get is 2 channel PCM. I know I should be able to (as I did in Vista) but I can't. I want DD/DTS, I don't want 2 channel PCM. Despite setting ffdshow/AC3filter/whatever to do passthru, it doesn't. Everything is being converted (I guess) to 2 channel PCM.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy Bob /forum/post/18750356

Yes, and every other GenericPnP instance, so that no EDID entry is present in the registry. You then let Windows re-detect the current monitor, either manually or by rebooting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, I've uninstalled (and deleted) the EDID monitor, the only one there was. I can't redetect yet as I'm in work (connecting to HTPC over VNC) and the amp is switched off.

Edit : My son was at home and I got him to switch on the amp (but not the TV). It's been detected as Generic PnP Monitor.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Just in case also uninstall any greyed-out GenericPnP monitor driver to remove registry leftovers (see uninstall procedure - section 4 - in my sig.). This way you make sure that there's really only one possible Windows EDID association with your display device.

If the Onkyo HDMI is not set to pass-through the TV EDID (which I think it is not, as it works with PDVD8, right?) you should see now the options for 5.1 and 7.1 available for the Windows HDMI device.

If you still only get 2 channels then the problem is definitely HDMI audio driver related.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Using the method to uninstall in your sig. there are no greyed out monitors, only the single "Generic PnP Monitor" now.

right-clicking the Realtek icon in the system tray and selecting "Audio Devices" -> selecting ATI HDMI Output -> clicking configure, I can only select stereo. Going back one step and clicking properties and then selecting the "Supported Formats" tab shows Max Number Channels = 2 and Encoded Formats = Dolby Digital.

Thanks for your time btw

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry to cross post this, but I think that an EDID override might be what I need to do, and I just want to get the master's opinion; is what I'm seeing a problem with the EDID that's causing 7MC to mess with resolutions (because it thinks that the "monitor" (TV) & AVR isn't capable of the resolution?

Original problem:

Ahh, the pain.. I decided I needed to install 7MC (I had a perfectly good VMC before this) in preparation for the release of the quad tuner DC adapter.. And forgot how much fun it is to configure one of these things!

Anyway, stupid problem. TV does not allow for "pixel perfect" 1920X1080. I usually set the overscan in CCC to compensate for this, and everything is fine.. UNTIL.. I start 7MC and it feels the need to mess with the resolution (there's change of resolution as the application starts) and the overscan settings (it's way off).

I would like to prevent 7MC from making any overscan adjustments or resolution changes (or, alternatively, just tell it to use the same resolution as the desktop and have it listen to me!). I had this configured in VMC, but I remember it was a PITA. I just can't get 7MC to stop trying to correct for overscan.. How can I tell it to leave the resolution and overscan settings alone when starting/playing videos?

I've done this once, so if you can just point me in the right direction, I'm sure I can figure it out again..

More details:

I am running 1080P w/overscan correction on in CCC. Desktop looks "OK" (because of the scaling). I'd like the resolution to "carry" from the desktop to media center.

Anyway, I've found something really intersting today. I can setup media center and get it to look "good" now. But I can't get the setting to "stick". I'll reconfigure media center, everything will look great.. Play a few videos/etc.. No problem.

Then, I exit media center.. Again, no problem, everything still looks fine. When I restart media center; for about 15 seconds, everything is great (correct resolution). Then.. For no reason at all, the desktop resizes to 1440X720 (I think) and everything looks like crap.

Any ideas why the resolution settings won't "stick". If I set up the TV every time I enter media center, it's perfect.. Why would they change when I exit and re-enter media center?

If I go into:

HKLM/SW/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Media Center/Settings/Display Settings

I can see the resolution. I change the resolution (inside MC) and then exit the program.. When I look in the key (above) I see the resolution change (that I just put in) and the correct settings.

When I then (after shutting down media center) restart MC, the resolution changes (inside MC). I immediately see the change in this registry key as well. It's like, when I start Media Center, it goes in and automatically changes this registry key?

I did a custom resolution (and tried another stock one) just to make sure; nothing seems to have any effect on it; as soon as I exit and re-open MC the resolution is changed (from anything that I set the last time I was in there). Also, I tried "re-run setup" in Media Center to no success. I'm logged into the machine on an account with Administrator privs.

It's the START of Media Center that changes the resolution (and the registry keys). Exiting MC doesn't have any effect on the keys (they maintain the correct values).

Is an override of the EDID (creating a custom monitor setting) going to fix this problem? I tried to do it already, but there may be some other steps I need to follow (I was in a hurry) to remove the old information.

Thanks for the help; and sorry for the cross post; I'm just at my wits end, I need to know where to look to start digging out this problem.

Thx!

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Definitely not an EDID, but most probably a driver problem that's causing 7MC issues with the downscaled resolution.

Maybe a different ATI driver version will do.

801 - 820 of 3492 Posts