AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm looking for a budget home audio solution (under 500-600 EUR). 

At first, I decided to go for a soundbar (Sony CT660), but the heavy and punching bass actually made me change my mind. Seemed like there were no mids at all - just the punchy low ends and highs.

I did some research and found that powered 2.0 speakers like Edifier r2800 could be a possible solution for me to stream Spotify music via Airplay and also support a connection to TV to watch some movies or live music shows via DLNA.

From what I understand - buying a separate AV receiver and passive speakers would most probably put me out of budget, and most likely deliver roughly the same results in terms of sound quality, as those Edifier speakers.

Would you recommend those speakers for a budget home audio setup?

Most of the time, the speakers will have to perform at a moderate level, therefore it's important for me to know, if they are able to perform their best also when not being turned all the way up.

Or perhaps there's a 2.1 solution out there to to provide even better sound for what I look forward to play?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
If you go the Edifier route, you'll be pretty much locked in to 2.0 or 2.1 because they would not be well-suited as the basis for a cost effective 5.1 setup. If you eventually want to maybe end up with a 5.1 system, better to go with passive speakers and a receiver.

Sorry. I don't know European prices well enough to recommend alternatives. As an alternative to the Edifiers, you might also look at pro audio powered speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts

R2800 is a studio monitor speaker which have moderate power output, perfect for listening music. But trust me, its dual 8 inch bass drivers will give you enough 'punch' even if you watching movie with it. Its suitable for a living room setup as 140 Watts is enough for you to blast your music at home (maybe not for movies though). Even when that's the case, you no need to blast the volume to the max with systems above 100 Watts for personal listening.

As a studio speakers, believe me R2800's sound quality wont be affected when you blast the volume. The speaker maintains its clarity in both low and high frequencies, requires you must use its digital input. A good Coaxial cable will be a good investment for this system to work at its best.

Since you considering R2800, I can suggest you other models based on my experience and knowledge about speakers at that price range. Edifier S730 is a perfect choice for movies and its price is just slightly expensive than R2800.  For speakers, never consider Sony speakers because its sucks, trust me. Sony's amp is good, but not speaker. You can also look for Altec Lancing MX6021 THX certified speakers if your budget allows it.  Suggested speakers have high power output and does not distort at high volumes. 

End of the day, its all end up to your input device's sound settings and equalizers. Try to play around with it to get the best sound output as possible. Its because speakers are just medium to transfer the received audio signal to your ear as sounds.  If your audio input is not clear enough, no matter how expensive your speakers, you wont be able to experience the real MUSIC out of it. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:Vijayapragas May i know from where you brought R2800 in india? i am not able to fine R2800 but R2730DB is available in store.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts