19" monitor that will be mounted outside A/V cabinet

New color i believe it is going to be.

Picture from very back

Opinions? i am building a A/V rack where the black paint is

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody?? Looking for advice also its the best i can do right now without gutting the basement

·
Registered
573 Posts
I started off my old basement by painting the paneling. In the end I wasnt happy so I ended up gutting it and glad I did. They framed it with 2x2, there was a bunch of leaky rod holes, they installed the vapor barrier wrong. It costs a lot more money but I feel it was worth it. Your paneling looks nicer than what mine was so it will probably tunr out better. Just make sure you prime it with a couple coats first.

Where is the black paint? How far back is your projector? Depending how far back it is I would change it out to something thats 16:9 and 720p at least. Maybe paint the ceiling black as well.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You lost me with the Max Payne poster

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you dont like max payne the movie??? WHAT?? and the projector works good for now i got it cheap maybe in the next house when i have some more space and can build it myself i will upgrade to a better one. and yeah the ceiling may go black also

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
truly wish i had the money to do that and if i even looked like i was gonna start doing that my PREGNANT wife would kill me ha ha

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Well I certainly understand budget constraints and the like. I am more than willing to chime in and give you my two cents. It would help though for you to tell us what you were looking for or give us ideas on what your plans were and ask for guidance based on those plans, but since you have basically just asked for our opinions I'll give you mine. :cool: So here goes.

First you took a space in your home and turned it into a home theater. That is awesome, as most people don't even have the vision to do that.

As you know the space is not ideal but there are several things you can do to improve things that are free or at least a lot cheaper than gutting it and starting for scratch.

1) Declutter, clean up, and for the screen wall remove anything that is distracting. IMO I like a decluttered screen wall. Speakers and screen that is it. Nice clean look.

2) Give you walls a fresh coat of paint, you don't need to go bat cave here. A nice darker shade of blue, green, red, or brown will freshen up the space and give a nicer look than the acres of paneling.

3) Paint that bright white ceiling, this would be ok to paint in black, but you also could go a darker color of the color you pick for the walls.

4) Build a riser for the rear set of seats.

5) If you have a HTPC use it! Hook that bad boy up!

6) Move or as you have indicated build a A/V rack to neatly hold your equipment preferably to the side or rear of your space.

7) Buy plastic channel or modify your baseboards so you can run and hide your wires, so again you have a nice clean look.

8) Buy some window coverings (drapes) for your windows to help dress up the space. It is ok to bring the wife in on this. More than likely she is better at that type of stuff than you are. Or at least that is how it works in my house

9) You may not have the money now, but you will eventually so draw up some plans for the future to have some goals to work towards. This could include just about everything from layout, to furniture, and equipment.

10) Check out the some of the threads here that the OP's have done amazing things on a very limited budget and learn from them.

11) Finally......Get rid of that MAX PAYNE poster! J/K of course.

Good luck and I hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/18298132

Well I certainly understand budget constraints and the like. I am more than willing to chime in and give you my two cents. It would help though for you to tell us what you were looking for or give us ideas on what your plans were and ask for guidance based on those plans, but since you have basically just asked for our opinions I'll give you mine. :cool: So here goes.

First you took a space in your home and turned it into a home theater. That is awesome, as most people don't even have the vision to do that.

As you know the space is not ideal but there are several things you can do to improve things that are free or at least a lot cheaper than gutting it and starting for scratch.

1) Declutter, clean up, and for the screen wall remove anything that is distracting. IMO I like a decluttered screen wall. Speakers and screen that is it. Nice clean look.

2) Give you walls a fresh coat of paint, you don't need to go bat cave here. A nice darker shade of blue, green, red, or brown will freshen up the space and give a nicer look than the acres of paneling.

3) Paint that bright white ceiling, this would be ok to paint in black, but you also could go a darker color of the color you pick for the walls.

4) Build a riser for the rear set of seats.

5) If you have a HTPC use it! Hook that bad boy up!

6) Move or as you have indicated build a A/V rack to neatly hold your equipment preferably to the side or rear of your space.

7) Buy plastic channel or modify your baseboards so you can run and hide your wires, so again you have a nice clean look.

8) Buy some window coverings (drapes) for your windows to help dress up the space. It is ok to bring the wife in on this. More than likely she is better at that type of stuff than you are. Or at least that is how it works in my house

9) You may not have the money now, but you will eventually so draw up some plans for the future to have some goals to work towards. This could include just about everything from layout, to furniture, and equipment.

10) Check out the some of the threads here that the OP's have done amazing things on a very limited budget and learn from them.

Good luck and I hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

RTROSE

Well said!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/18298132

RTROSE

See, I'm not the only one. LOL

Out of all the things suggested the painting will be the biggest impact and totally change your room.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys that will help me out alot i think i am going to start painting and building my A/V rack soon. I really love this forum and all the great advice i get from the members of it. Thank you

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NEW PICS IN THE REBUILD PROCESS

Everything in disarray

Ceiling color it is called ONYX BLACK

New wall color it is called wild truffle both from GLIDDEN

New A/v "rack" that i built

Inside of a/v rack drilled the holes myself found a nice trick to use peg board

what do you guys think of the progress?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Looks good. Progress is always nice!

I think the black ceiling will add a lot to the picture quality in the room. Same goes for the flat painted walls.

Not sure what you're planning to do for speakers, and I don't know how deep your room is, but you have some good options for a layout.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You may wanna read up in the forum about how to build your own screen. While you are in the painting mode you might wanna look into that. I think widescreen 16:9 is a must nowadays.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My projector has a native aspect ratio of 4:3 i dunno how this affects my screen or if i can use a 16:9 it says that 16:9 is supported but would i get a better or worse picture?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
anyone on the question above? should i build my own screen or just use the one i have based on my projector being a Infocus X2

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've built my two screens. The first was Wilson art Designer white countertop, and the second was an smx acoustically transparent screen. You can build a screen for super cheap, just browse the diy section of this site for ideas. If you're in Metro Detroit i'm about to toss the dw screen I built since I finished my theater this week.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
from back looking at screen wall

A/V rack with new paint

New paint color looks like i need another coat

Backside of A/V rack looking into theater

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts