AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DMR-E30 and am considering buying a DMR-E100H as I'm sure the hard drive would make editing much easier, without having to edit on the PC. What is the accuracy of editing when using the hard drive on Panasonic DVD Recorders? Can you get frame-accurate editing?

Ken

·
Registered
529 Posts
I believe with MPEG recordings that you can only edit on I-Frames. So frame accurate editting is not possible on the recorder or on the PC.

I've editted programs both ways (PC and recorder) and have gotten similar results. My editting has been limited to commercials, so I wait for the screen to go black then make my edits.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Not frame accurate. But not terrible. Usually it looks to me like it's within 2 or 3 frames. My experience is with the E100H. My JVC S-VHS deck is a little better in accuracy, but of course it can't do non-linear editing.

-CB

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I've done plenty of editing with my E80 & it's fairly accurate. However, when you create playlists or shorten segments, the E80 is essentially performing fast cues from one part to the next, so a momentary pause will occur.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
What do you mean by "fast cues"? If it goes from _anything_ to an I-frame, why is there a pause?

Do you mean if I record a show, edit the commercials, there will always be pauses in the commercial breaks?

(What if I dub it via playlists instead?)

and if I always edit at the 'far' end of the fade out to/from commercial, will that be enough to never clip into the actual show? (i.e. from show -> commercial -> show, I start the cut at the beginning of the commercial after the fade out of the show, and end the cut at the fade out of the commercial break).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Your third paragraph is how I make my Playlist for dubbing. I don't lose video, but unless there is a good amount of black in the break, the audio fades out too soon.

John

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
mattack, I've used both playlist editing & "shorten segment" to remove commercials. I always get a brief (sometimes very brief) pause between seqments. However, like you said, if you do it during a fade out/fade in, it appears seamless. There is an option in the menu (I can't recall where) to smooth transitions between edited segments. It works pretty well.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JMas
Your third paragraph is how I make my Playlist for dubbing. I don't lose video, but unless there is a good amount of black in the break, the audio fades out too soon.
Can you quantify the "good amount of black"?

I guess this means I'll still have a bit of the opening of the commercial in the break if I don't actually want to lose any of the audio or video..?

This is still light years ahead of manually dubbing on videotape.. but still a bummer..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Some channels go from program to commercial with virtually no black. If you edit just before the start of the commercial appears, you really notice the loss of audio at the end of the program segment. I would say you need a couple of seconds of black before the commercial to not lose any of the closing audio from the program. The video doesn't seem to be as much of a problem. The audio fades before the video does.

John

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yikes, there's never "a couple of seconds of black".

Darn, guess I'll end up with even more commercials left in the recordings than I do with manual dubs to videotape.. But the *other* benefits (less work overall, more durable media) are still a benefit..

and if/when DVD gets absolutely dirt cheap maybe I can re-edit them if I really care.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattack
Yikes, there's never "a couple of seconds of black".
That's why that very slight "pause" that has been discussed can actually work to your benefit. Once you get the "feel" of editing on these recorders, you can perform your edit in those few precious frames of black on either side of the commercial break. On playback, the slight pause at the edit point extends the black to create a more natural break between segments.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sorry if this has already been covered, but given the hit-or-miss nature of the editing process, can you duplicate your original video segment on the HDD, and then edit the copy? That way if you mess up, you have the original to go back to. By duplicate if mean from HDD to HDD. Obviously you could record it twice from the original source. But I'm thinking computer-like: make a quick copy, then edit the copy, preserving the original.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
back up your program to a DVD-RAM before editing if you're unsure of the edit... that way you can reload it if necessary....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Either people aren't being specific enough or things aren't being read:

If you TURN OFF seamless play, then when you do the edit it will pause. I use this so it pauses on the black then comes right back. It is hardly noticeable and it's freezes the black for a split second. NO AUDIO LOSS THIS WAY.

If you use shorten segment and make a mistake, you can't undo it. But if you use a playlist and make a mistake, you can re-do the start & stop points.

If you turn ON seamless play, you lose a bit of audio at the edit point, but you have no pause.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NJChris
Either people aren't being specific enough or things aren't being read:

If you TURN OFF seamless play, then when you do the edit it will pause. I use this so it pauses on the black then comes right back. It is hardly noticeable and it's freezes the black for a split second. NO AUDIO LOSS THIS WAY.
Including no muting a second before the edit point, I presume..

Thanks, that clears it up. I know I will experiment with both ways after I get one, but it sounds like I'll prefer seamless play turned OFF.

thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just to be clear about the seamless play option - from the E80 manual that I downloaded from Panasonic's site, it sounds like seamless play only applies to playlists, and not to using shorten segment, is that correct? And on the E80, you cannot do a high-speed lossless dub of a playlist, is that also correct?

If all that's true, then would I be right in concluding that if you want to do a high-speed dub on the E80, there's no way to avoid losing a little bit of the sound at the edit points?

·
Registered
536 Posts
On my HS2, if i do shorten segment and have seamless play ON, I get dropout. If I turn OFF seamless play and watch the already edited program, it pauses.

This would mean you can turn on and off seamless play AFTER you do your shorten segments... it will adapt the current edits to whichever you picked. This also applies to playlists.

·
Registered
175 Posts
NJChris - thanks for the information about the seamless play. I have one more question - so what about when you write an edited program out to DVD-R, and play it on another player? Do you get the audio dropout, or the pause (or some other effect)?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brainiac 5
NJChris - thanks for the information about the seamless play. I have one more question - so what about when you write an edited program out to DVD-R, and play it on another player? Do you get the audio dropout, or the pause (or some other effect)?
I don't use seamless play because of the audio dropout. It should be on the DVD after you record it, which means it will play that way on other players. It just depends on if you had seamless play on or off before you burned the dvd-r

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.