AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I buy an actual recorder and record to dvd-r discs, can any editing be done if I use someone's computer's drive? I know absolutely nothing about burning dvds via computer. I am just wondering if there is any way to do an A-B deletion and make chapter marks. My guess is that you can delete whatever you want, but not change the marks. I am only talking about -r discs, not -rw. I know there would be no way to use that space again also, but I don't see why A-B editing could not be done. The recorder I am considering lets you cut out chapters after recording, but you have to lose the whole chapter, not just the part you want to delete! Like I said, I know nothing about this. Oh and also, can you take a disc out of the recorder without finalizing and then put it back in later to finalize? Or it must be finalized to even eject it?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Additional editting can be done, but not on the same DVD-R disk.

You would have to re-import the VOBs from the DVD-R disk as MPEG files, edit and then re-author/burn to a different DVD-R disk.

You can take a disk out without finalizing, and then finalize later (you can even record more programs if space is available). The disk will only play in the recorder before it is finalized. This info is based on the Panasonic recorders. Not sure about the Pioneers, Sonys, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
You would have to re-import the VOBs from the DVD-R disk as MPEG files
How is this done? Is it a feature of the DVD editing software? Requires a special conversion program?

Thanks,

Micky Cross

·
Registered
529 Posts
I use TMPGenc DVD Author. It allows you to import titles from an existing DVD (not copy protected). The files are copied to your hard drive as MPG files. You can then edit the title, re-author and burn all within the same package.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BASHERS33
If I buy an actual recorder and record to dvd-r discs, can any editing be done if I use someone's computer's drive? I know absolutely nothing about burning dvds via computer. I am just wondering if there is any way to do an A-B deletion and make chapter marks. My guess is that you can delete whatever you want, but not change the marks. I am only talking about -r discs, not -rw. I know there would be no way to use that space again also, but I don't see why A-B editing could not be done. The recorder I am considering lets you cut out chapters after recording, but you have to lose the whole chapter, not just the part you want to delete! Like I said, I know nothing about this. Oh and also, can you take a disc out of the recorder without finalizing and then put it back in later to finalize? Or it must be finalized to even eject it?
If its A-B deletion and chapter marks you desire, consider getting a recorder with a hard drive built in. The E80, for example, has editing capability to do these things when the program i on the HDD. Once you are finished editing, just burn to DVD-R and you are done. The trick is to be completely satisfied with your editing before you burn the disc. If you need to do post-burn editing, you will need a computer with a DVD burner and the proper software.

For me, its easier to do all this on the HDD of the E80. YMMV.

HDD

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I know the HDD is the best way to go. But most likely I will buy either the current Sony or the GX300 when it comes out. I am sure it will eb a long time before their HDD model is out and then it will most likely cost more than I want to spend.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
yeah, I know the HDD is the best way to go. But most likely I will buy either the current Sony or the GX300 when it comes out. I am sure it will eb a long time before their HDD model is out and then it will most likely cost more than I want to spend.
Why then would you spend more than you need to buy a unit WITHOUT a hard drive???

or is it simply a matter of "...Must buy a Sony regardless of whether its overpriced and/or doesn't include the features I really want or need..."

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vferrari
Why then would you spend more than you need to buy a unit WITHOUT a hard drive???

or is it simply a matter of "...Must buy a Sony regardless of whether its overpriced and/or doesn't include the features I really want or need..."
Vic:

A review of This Thread (one of many) will confirm your suspicions.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol I can't help it. I like Sony in everything. I have had one problem EVER with any Sony product. That includes 2 tvs, 2 vcrs, speakers, cd player. Probably other things I can't remember. Also HDD has it's disadvantages also. I have heard of them breaking quickly. Also the only point of me having one would be to edit out commercials. However, that would make the process of recording my dvds take even longer than normal.

So when you sum it all up, the lack of picture zooming is the only thing that will bother me whatsoever. That and the price. I am getting it for under $550 though and possibly even less.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, one thing that would REALLY annoy me would be a recorder with poor playback picture quality. Almost everyone says the Panasonics have only average PQ. So I would have to buy the Panasonic AND a new player. So the price would end up being even more than the Sony.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I'm probably wasting my finger tips typing but here goes...

Quote:
So I would have to buy the Panasonic AND a new player.
Don't you already have a decent player?! Probably a Sony?! Why would you have to buy a new one?

Quote:
Also the only point of me having one would be to edit out commercials.
Contradicts what you said earlier about a HDD being the best way to go. Plus it ignores other advantages of having a HDD-based recorder including: allowing more flexible time shifting (unless you already have a tivo), providing a temporary storage location for programs if you have a disc shortage, allowing a place to set up a master copy from which you could make multiple DVD-R copies under more "controlled" conditions (vice on the fly where you can lose the whole shooting match) plus dubbing (even 1x) is FASTER than real time. These advantages are mitigated to a certain extent if you own a TiVO device and/or have a flexible PC-based buring setup.

Also I noticed in another thread that you touted a Sony spec that said it could burn at 24x. This is unfortunate marketing hype that the DVD recorder manufacturers (including Panasonic) are now succumbing to. (Similar to the megabyte, gigabyte BS that HDD manufacturers use). They are comparing burn time to "real time" playback vice data transfer rate. 1x doesn't mean real time dubbing, it means that you can dupe a full disc in about an hour. 4x means it can be done in about 15 min. This standard is consistent with speed ratings for PC-based drives. You could make comparisons to real time recording DURATION, but that would be misleading because it would vary based on the recording MODE used. For example, with the Panasonic at 4x, you could say its 24x if you were comparing it against EP mode (6 hours per disc) because it would only take 15 min to high speed dub the "6-hr" disc (but the burner is still burning at a constant 4x data rate regardless of record mode).

Regarding HDD reliability, I've burned probably over a thousand disks (not multiple copies of the same program) from content stored on the HDD of a Panasonic first generation HS2 deck that I've owned for a year and half without problem (probably just jinxed myself lol!).

Anyway enjoy the HDD-less, expensive Sony, but my advice would be to wait until the 1st generation Sony HDD-based units come out since you have an aversion to the 2nd generation Panasonic units and the 1st generation Pioneer HDD-based DVD recorder units NOW on the street.

Good luck

Vic

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pretty badly did want a HDD. However, I know I am pretty sure I will buy this recorder. So I am just saying it isn't the end of the world if I don't have the HDD. I would very much like to have it, but I feel like the picture quality would be a big enough deal for me to feel like I should have got the Sony if I get something else. Yes the smart thing to do would be to wait until the Sony HDD model comes out. I was planning on waiting at least until the Summer to hear more details. However, I just really want a dvd recorder now. I am getting impatient. I already have wanted one for a long time and I am just tired of waiting.

I had decided to get the Toshiba D-R1, but Mike Up's comments made me change my mind on that. The clock I could overlook, but not the black level bug. I had decided at one point on a Panasonic. But then I hear over and over about the PQ being "average" according to some and "terrible" according to others.

No i do not have a good dvd player already. It's a Toshiba SD-2109. I got it back when there weren't many people even buying dvd players yet. But I have not purchased a new one since. And I would not buy a Sony because the only way I would buy a new player is if it has zoom. Sony only has it on the dvd/vcr combos now I believe.

The Sony just seems well-built and the quality seems good. I have no desire whatsoever to use the + format discs. So the extra money I am paying is basically for something I won't use. They hype up the "dual format" of the recorder and I bet that is exactly why it is still expensive. Still, either way, the PQ will be better.

And when you think about it, I am not really overpaying by much. I am getting it from an authorized Sony dealer for under $550. I have not checked closely on the Panasonics, but I think the 80 is about the same price and the 100 is hundreds of dollars more. So how am I overpaying? You could maybe argue I am overpaying because it does not have the HDD, but as far as how much money is leaving my possession, I am "equally" paying. Just basically for the same price I am getting better PQ in exchange for losing the HDD.

By the way, using a separate player would also mean putting my cable box BACK on top of my tv.

All I know is I hope I totally make up my mind later today because I was planning on ordering it today. If you notice what owners of this recorder keep saying on this forum, almost every one of them say something similar to "I am very pleased with my choice so far". I honestly notice a few problems with it. But I am just trying to think of the best recorder for me. And given that I don't have a good player, I would probably rather press pause when recording than have the more convenient, but worse player in the HDD panasonics.

I am definitely not trying to pretend Sony's is perfect. The retail price is ridiculous, they made the rw formats have less editing capabilities, one person reported that it takes a few seconds before it starts recording, it does not ahve playback zoom, and it does not have a HDD.

Otherwise, it's perfect. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.