AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people using to edit 1080p? I tried searching but couldn't find a solid thread devoted to the topic. I obviously want software that handles avchd natively and will output 1080p also.

Sony Vegas? Avid Studio? Premiere?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz54 /forum/post/20883623

What are people using to edit 1080p? I tried searching but couldn't find a solid thread devoted to the topic. I obviously want software that handles avchd natively and will output 1080p also.

Sony Vegas? Avid Studio? Premiere?

If the emphasis is on native and AVCHD, don't overlook the 'HD Writer" software that came with your 'panny'.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I need something more robust than HD writer. Looking for at least 6 audio tracks, two or three video. Would love the 'ken burns' effect......slide show with directable zooms.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz54 /forum/post/20885637

Thanks. I need something more robust than HD writer. Looking for at least 6 audio tracks, two or three video. Would love the 'ken burns' effect......slide show with directable zooms.

Sony vegas Pro 10 will do what you are looking for,you can do all that in the time line then goto render as>Save as type>SonyAVC/MVC as a ".mp4" file HD 1920x1080-60p.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I can spend $350 on a Sony HX9V, $450 on a Panny TM90 or $850 for a TM900 and get great video picture quality. And, I need Vegas Pro 10 at $505 (Amazon) just to keep the quality? What's wrong with this?

Does nobody use anything else on this forum?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi

MP4 is fine provided you use high data-rates, it's basically the same thing as the camera shot.

The problem with Sony Vegas is the Sony encoder they bundle isn't' that great and has limited settings and options. The better encoder to get H264/AVC out is the MainConcept one they include however that has even more limited options.

What I do is export to lossless Lagarith (a free codec) then use that with MeGUI which uses the x264 encoder which is usually rated one of the best and is also open source and free. The results are stunning. You can use this method with any editing package that allows you to export out to an AVI file.

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague
I can spend $350 on a Sony HX9V, $450 on a Panny TM90 or $850 for a TM900 and get great video picture quality. And, I need Vegas Pro 10 at $505 (Amazon) just to keep the quality? What's wrong with this?
You don't have to buy Pro. There are sub-$100 versions of Vegas.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague
Does nobody use anything else on this forum?
PowerDirector 9 can edit and output 1080p60 even with SVRT (smart render) but requires a simple "hack". It works for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am leaning towards the prosumer software Edius Neo3 or Avid Studio because they appear to have better stability than their consumer based competitors. Unfortunately they have much fewer features too. I know Edius Neo 3 only outputs in stereo.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc3 /forum/post/20890117

PowerDirector 9 can edit and output 1080p60 even with SVRT (smart render) but requires a simple "hack". It works for me.

Smart rendering on heavily compressed formats can often give a visible change in picture quality on the re-rendered effects and transitions, due in part to often lower bit-rates used by the re-render and the fact H264 doesn't compressed very short clips well, for example a 1 second cross fade on it's own is next to impossible to compress cleanly, but that is what smart rendering does.

So you don't always get a seemless output, but for many people they don't notice.

Also smart rendering often leaves you with a broken video stream, it just depends on the playback device or software if it works or not.

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
69 Posts
Indeed Phil, which is why I render using GPU (nVidia) 1080p60 @ 32Mbps. The resulting file is indistinguishable from the original footage on my 50" Plasma. I was mentioning the SVRT because it can be used successfully in some cases. PD is not the complete answer but it does a pretty good job if you stick to HD (its pretty crap at downconverting to SD Mpeg2 for DVD).

·
Registered
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc3 /forum/post/20892019

You need to edit one of the output profile ini files to allow the programmes maximum bitrate to be exceeded. Very simple to do in notepad.

Thank you. Not sure what you are talking about completely, though. Not familiar with the some of the terminology or the steps you would take to do this. Sorry. I understand what you are saying about exceeding the max bitrate of a program, but other than that I am clueless.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan /forum/post/20897145

Thank you. Not sure what you are talking about completely, though. Not familiar with the some of the terminology or the steps you would take to do this. Sorry. I understand what you are saying about exceeding the max bitrate of a program, but other than that I am clueless.

I had Power Director 9, I was unhappy with the quality of the video it produces but what he is talking about is the default bitrates assigned to the codecs in the program.

If you have a Canon HF G10 like I do, and you use PD9 it will not give you 24Mbps when you go to save it. You have to drop to whatever PD9 has it set as which is probably 16Mbps.

So the "Hack" is to edit the profile.ini file that is in a sub directory. You simply open it wth notepad and change the values to the ones you want. It does help a lot, but still not good enough for me to get PD9.

·
Registered
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/20889094

You don't have to buy Pro. There are sub-$100 versions of Vegas.

And for the _really_ cheap you can buy Sony's Imagination Studio Suite 2.0 for about a third of that (google it since no retail links allowed). The package includes Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 (last year's version, but still very good), DVD Architect Studio 5, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, ACID Music Studio 8, Photo Go (relatively useless IMO) and some music tracks (also relatively useless). And don't worry by the lack of 1080p50 or 1080p60 in the project properties or output options - you just manually type in the appropriate frame rate and it will handle it. (On a practical note you might also have to do the CFF Explorer memory "hack" described here to allow larger renders but AFAIK you'd have to do that with all Vegas versions except 64-bit Pro.)

Review: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...-956639/review

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.