Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me please

I have burned a lot of family stuff onto DVD RAM disks on the HS2.

I later purchased a DVD RAM burner for my computer with the idea that I could edit or at least author the files and then ultimately burn DVD-R's.

Big disappointment! Didn't work... I've tried everything.....

Can anyony please help?

Cheers & thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good Question, I have been wondering the same thing.

I have the E80 and transfer the .vro file to my hard drive. I am not an expert on this, but from what I can tell from what I have read is that people rename the .vro to .vob which can then be played with PowerDVD. I also read that you can rename the file to .mpg. However when I do this I do not get any sound. I have tried importing the .mpg file into DVD Architect and Ulead but the resulting DVD does not have any sound, but has a great picture. I think I need to get software that will demux the .mpg. I have read that Mpeg2VCR and DVDAuthor(Tmpgenc) will also work. I would like to find something that will work without having to spend alot of money, since I already have these other applications( Vegas) and spent money on the Panasonic E80 and a DVD-ROM drive that will read DVD-RAM discs.

·
Registered
529 Posts
TMPGenc DVD Author is probably your best bet. It will import the VRO file directly from the RAM disk and allows for editting of the file after it imports it. You can then author and burn with it.

MPeg2VCR is only and editting package. It does not author or burn.

The Ulead Movie Factory 2.0 does support the VRO format, but does not support AC3 audio. During the authoring process you must ensure that the "Do Not Convert Compliant File" is checked. This will pass the AC3 audio thru untouched. It does give you an error message stating that AC3 is not supported. DO NOT edit with MF2.0. It will re-encode your file and you will loose audio.

With Ulead DVD Workshop you must rename the file to MPG before importing it. DVD WS has the same AC3 limitation as MF2. So again, make sure that the "Do Not Convert Compliant File" is checked and do not edit the file.

There are several older threads on this subject. Search for vro.

·
Registered
120 Posts
vfarrari,

could you please re-post your method for authoring your DVD-RAM image; the steps you take and the software you use.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
if you want Frame Accurate editing, you will a) need to pull the VRO from the DVD_RAM to the harddrive and b) Womble MPEG2VCR ( www.womble.com ).

I do this CONSTANTLY (infact, I seldom use the editing burning on the E80's except in the rare case of recording a movie.. I need to remove the commercials 99.9% of the time)

a) (hofefully) you got a Panasonic Drive for the PC so yo can read RAM's in carts. Use the MOVIE ALBUM COPY TOOL to copy each program from the RAM as a seperate file to the HD

b) MPEG2VCR *will* accept and use VRO files, you just have to choose 'ALL FILES' when you open it so it will see it to open

c) edit to your hearts content, when you output the file, it will be a standard MPEG2 file.

NOTE: you will OCCASIONALLY get a file with at 'glitch' or audio desync in the file, you can find this using the MPEG GOP CHECKER tool in MPEG2VCR. This is being causes (AFAIK) by the fact that the E80 saves the CLOSED CAPTIONING data in a 'private' stream in the VRO file as a string of ASCII (this is normal for DVD, but can confuse MPEG2VCR sometimes). Unfortunately the GOP FIXER in MPEG2VCR can't fix this..

Get in the habit of GOP checking the file or playing it in a software player (WinDVD) BEFORE you exit MPEG2VCR... IF you find a 'glitch' you can FIX this problem as follows.. (this assumes you know something about MPEG2VCR)

1) WHILE still in MPEG2VCR, select the ENTIRE EDITED file you produced the NEW MPEG2 file from.

2) Click the 'copy' ICON in the editing window. It will now show a new 'clip' in the 'clip window'

3) CLOSE then original edited file.

4) OPEN the original edited file (it will be under the [program-name]/DVD_RTAV folder named VR_MOVIE.VRO )

4) IMMEDIATELY 'save' the file as a MPEG2 file (record) WITHOUT EDITING IT OR CHANGING ANYTHING. This will save the VRO file as MPEG2 and STRIP OUT THE CLOSED CAPTION STREAM. You MUST save it back in the DVD_RTAV folder using the name VR_MOVIE.MPG.

5) close the opened files

6) in the DVD_RTAV folder, CHANGE THE FILES NAMES... rename VR_MOVIE.VRO to VR_MOVIE.XXX, change VR_MOVIE.MPG to VR_MOVIE.VRO

7) back in MPEG2VCR, drag the 'saved clip' (which was the editing you did) BACK to the MPEG2VCR workspace. It will automagically REOPEN the VR_MOVIE.VRO file (which you just did a name swap on, so it no longer has the closed caption stream) and REAPPLY ALL YOUR EDITS.

8) Produce (record) the edited MPEG2 file

Any glitches/audio sync problem will now be fixed.

·
Registered
826 Posts
As Pat said: DVDAuthor(Tmpgenc) is your best bet. Do a search for Pegasys Software and you can download a fully working version. You can edit the DVD RAM directly. AND when you have finished you can burn an ISO image to the DVD-R. In the process you will end up writing a couple of files to your hard drive. (It'll take about 7 gig to do a full film, but that will write out on less than 4.7 gig. Assuming a 2 hour or less film.)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Isn't there anything that will convert the audio to something OTHER than AAC/AC3? I find this very annoying, since those formats aren't well supported by any tools I'm familiar with -- even a current version of Media Cleaner won't process them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mobocracy
Isn't there anything that will convert the audio to something OTHER than AAC/AC3? I find this very annoying, since those formats aren't well supported by any tools I'm familiar with -- even a current version of Media Cleaner won't process them.
Panasonics DVD Movie Album software will convert the AC3 audio to MP2 (MPeg layer 2) audio when exporting. It will do this without re-encoding the video. However, MP2 is not part of the DVD standard in the US. So if you make a DVD with only MP2 audio on it then you may have problems on some standalone players (either it won't play or it will play with no audio).

You really wanna keep the AC3 soundtrack. The TMPGenc DVD author program does pass the AC3 audio thru intact.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
You'll just have to be 'annoyed' then, since AC3 is the DVD STANDARD. You COULD convert them to MPA, but that's not supported on ALL players (now, take the attitude that "well, it's supported on mine, so why should I care it it's standard", let me know what happens when you have to buy a new player and all of your previously recorded discs are slient when you put them in..)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
You'll just have to be 'annoyed' then, since AC3 is the DVD STANDARD. You COULD convert them to MPA, but that's not supported on ALL players (now, take the attitude that "well, it's supported on mine, so why should I care it it's standard", let me know what happens when you have to buy a new player and all of your previously recorded discs are slient when you put them in..)
It's just not a standard well supported in most DVD authoring software I've been exposed to, including tnpgenc, which is what makes it annoying.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Quote:
It's just not a standard well supported in most DVD authoring software I've been exposed to, including tnpgenc, which is what makes it annoying.
Thats because including AC3 support (encode/decode) requires royalties to be paid. Hence, any package which supports AC3 is gonna cost more.

Even though authoring packages may not provide encode/decode support, most provide a pass thru option where the AC3 passes thru the authoring process untouched.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PatsWonSB
Thats because including AC3 support (encode/decode) requires royalties to be paid. Hence, any package which supports AC3 is gonna cost more.
Actually that's not 100% accurate... what requires the LICENSING is the 'AC3' and 'Dolby Digital" name/logo/trademark. The AC3 format is well documented and anyone can write an AC3 encoder/decoder.. they just can't CALL it AC3.

Also.. being able to HANDLE AC3 does not require a license.. only if you want to play it back/encode it while in the application (TMPGenc Author, DVDLab, DVD Workshop [with an undocumented setting in the DVDWS.INI file of PlayAC3=1] all will 'handle it' in that it will accept them if you already have it).

·
Registered
826 Posts
>It's just not a standard well supported in most DVD authoring software I've been exposed to, including tnpgenc, which is what makes it annoying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.