AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone usually finds their own little "tricks" when editing, but I thought it would be easier to show the 533's editing capabilities by describing my particular technique for deleting commercial breaks.

Select "Disc Navigator", highlight the title you wish to edit, then use the "right" arrow key to open a sub menu and choose "Edit."

Another sub-menu will open. Choose "Erase section," then "Video Mode Compatible Editing (the other selection, 'Frame Accurate Editing' is more precise, but eliminates the ability to dub at high speed)." This will bring you to the editing preview window; the title will already be in progress.

I press "Pause" then "Prev," which brings the title back to zero and highlights "From." You can use any of the playback buttons (play, scan, etc) to find the beginning of the material you want to keep. I find that using the "step/slow" button helps to hone in on an "I" frame at the desired location. I then press "Enter", which marks the point and automatically selects "To." I repeat the last steps for locating the end point, then press "Enter" and select "Yes" to erase the unwanted footage.

ONE REALLY NICE FEATURE is the ability to see how your edit will look before committing (severel frames play in a loop within the nicely-sized preview window, with audio). :p

A chapter point is automatically placed at each edit. One can eliminate the marks or add others by way of "Chapter Edit", which is located in the same sub menu that offers, Add Thumbnails, Divide, Combine, etc).

Adding titles is just as tedious as adding them with the Panny units; and of course it greatly helps to learn the shortcut keys on the remote. :(

The Menu tenplates, although still somewhat cheezy, are nicer than the E-85's selection. One example is the much larger thumbnail windows. But I'll still use the computer when I want to create nice menus.

I should mention that the title will automatically play first before displaying the menu. As of now, I haven't come across an option for this.

The final edits I have created so far on various material look really clean.

I hope others will add their own little remedies to this thread. ;)

·
Registered
721 Posts
videonut,

Have you tried high-speed dubbing after using the "Frame Accurate" editing method? I have the previous 420 model, and I always have Frame Accurate "on" but can always high-speed dub. I think the 420 manual led the user to think otherwise as well, but it's always worked for me.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Me too EPlay. BUT, is there anyway to eliminate the Pop-UP window where it ask EVERY time you edit anything "Frame Accurate or Video Mode" ?

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Read your post w/great interest, videonut. In another thread, videojanitor did an in-depth review of the Pio's recording quality, so thanks for filling us in on editing.

Quote:
The final edits I have created so far on various material look really clean.
You're implying no pauses during playback right?

Quote:
I should mention that the title will automatically play first before displaying the menu.
The Panny does offer this, at least the E95 I currently own. In the 'Disc Settings' window, you can specify menu display or automatic title play as the first-play action.

Since you mention the E85, I assume you're well aware of the Panny's editing capabilities. How would you rate the Pio? I'm trying to decide if I should sell my E95 for a Pio 533HS.

Finally, (a stupid question...) can you use a DVD-RW disc, but record in video mode on it (instead of VR)? I'm not sure if TMPGEnc DVD Author can read a DVD-RW VR structure as it does a DVD-RAM VRO structure.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUESTION: Have you tried high-speed dubbing after using the "Frame Accurate" editing method? I have the previous 420 model, and I always have Frame Accurate "on" but can always high-speed dub. I think the 420 manual led the user to think otherwise as well, but it's always worked for me.

REPLY: Wow! Thanks for the heads up; I'll try today and get back to this thread.

QUOTE: The Panny does offer this, at least the E95 I currently own. In the 'Disc Settings' window, you can specify menu display or automatic title play as the first-play action.

Since you mention the E85, I assume you're well aware of the Panny's editing capabilities. How would you rate the Pio? I'm trying to decide if I should sell my E95 for a Pio 533HS.

REPLY: Brajesh, I own an E-10, E-20, HS-2, E-80 and E-85. My favorite of the bunch is the E-80, especially for editing. One reason is because its response from the remote is much quicker than the E-85. And if you're happy with the E-95's picture quality, I don't think the Pioneer has a much better editing system, other than giving the user the ability to see the actual edit playing in real time before committing.

QUOTE: Finally, (a stupid question...) can you use a DVD-RW disc, but record in video mode on it (instead of VR)? I'm not sure if TMPGEnc DVD Author can read a DVD-RW VR structure as it does a DVD-RAM VRO structure.

REPLY: Yes, I have already burned DVD-RW discs with the Pioneer and reauthored them with DVD Author.

The main reason I purchased the Pioneer was because of its ability to record from my Dish HD receiver/DVR with the proper aspect ratio. The Pannys squeeze the HD signal, and I had to correct the flag with the PC. This was a waste of time for programs I wanted to dump from the DVR for future viewing, but didn't want to archive.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
The Pio properly flags 16x9? Really?! That would be reason alone for me to get the 533H. With my miniDV 16x9 camcorder footage, I transfer to the Panny E95 hard-drive, then I always have to use IFOEdit to correct it to 16x9 when I transfer the footage to PC via -RAM or -R. If I make a DVD-R directly on the Panny, it always incorrectly flags it as 4x3.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2525
Me too EPlay. BUT, is there anyway to eliminate the Pop-UP window where it ask EVERY time you edit anything "Frame Accurate or Video Mode" ?
zenith, do you have the 533? I've never seen this pop-up window on my 420.

ArtS, yes my 420 can high-speed dub in video mode to -RW with frame accurate on.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I ran a few tests:

I edited a program using the "Frame Accurate" option, but when I try to dub at High Speed, I get a warning that reads: "edit points may be slightly off." And they are indeed, the dub ended up on the same "I" frames that I chose when editing in the Video mode.

I also tried editing a program in "Frame Accurate" mode, then did a high-speed dub to a DVD-RW, which I'd initialized in the VR format. The disc played perfectly well at the edit points on the Pioneer. I then brought the disc to my computer, but my Plextor drive would not autoplay; instead it opened the folder as if it were a data disc.

I proceeded to load the program into TMPGE DVD Author, and all went smooth as silk. TMPGE likes the file. But when I entered the Edit timeline, I saw frames that I'd deleted during the original editing session. This leads me to believe the Pioneer needs to recode a "Frame Accurate" program in order to create a disc with accurate edit points. That is the reason a Frame Accurate recording cannot be dubbed accurately at hight speed.

I guess I will go the VR route, and use Womble and DVD Author for precision-edited DVDs. I would normally use TMPGE anyway to generate nice menus. I personally like creating custom graphics for Menu backgrounds and the "Play All" button.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh
The Pio properly flags 16x9? Really?! That would be reason alone for me to get the 533H. With my miniDV 16x9 camcorder footage, I transfer to the Panny E95 hard-drive, then I always have to use IFOEdit to correct it to 16x9 when I transfer the footage to PC via -RAM or -R. If I make a DVD-R directly on the Panny, it always incorrectly flags it as 4x3.
REPLY: I'm using a 60" Super Wega for my HD viewing. I have my HD/DVR receiver connected to input 6 via component cables. I have the Pioneer connected to input 1 via S/video. When I switch from 6 to 1 during a HD broadcast, there is no change except for the evident drop in resolution; in some cases an untrained eye won't notice any difference.

The recordings I made on the Pioneer will play back on the Sony in the correct aspect ratio, but when I tried playing one via WinDVD on the PC, it played in the standard 4x3 letterbox format. I changed the flag in IFOEdit and it played in 16x9.

So for some reason, the Pioneer gets it right. Go figure? :eek:

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
You must've set your Sony display at 16x9. If you set it to "auto", I suspect your Pioneer-authored DVD will appear centered w/black bars on either side & the picture vertically squished. Just a guess. In any case, the Pio 533H is still flagging everything as 4x3 just like the Panny DVD recorders. So, anyone w/a 4x3 display will see a vertically squished picture with your DVD. Oh well.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh
You must've set your Sony display at 16x9. If you set it to "auto", I suspect your Pioneer-authored DVD will appear centered w/black bars on either side & the picture vertically squished. Just a guess. In any case, the Pio 533H is still flagging everything as 4x3 just like the Panny DVD recorders. So, anyone w/a 4x3 display will see a vertically squished picture with your DVD. Oh well.
The Pioneer will record 16:9 with a flag if the source has a flag in it's signal, just as my DVR-420H does.

Here's one section of Pioneer's manual on page 68, that references differently recorded content ratios:
Quote:
When adding titles that contain material of more

than one aspect ratio (screen size), each part with a

different aspect ratio will be added as a separate title

if high-speed copying is possible.
Have a good one.

·
Registered
721 Posts
videonut,

Sorry the high-speed with frame accurate was a no-go. I don't get that warning about edit points being off and have never taken the disc over to the computer so I presumed all was copying as intended. (The chapter edit points seem fine in my various DVD players.)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brajesh: I have the Sony set to normal (no stretch mode). Regular broadcasts play in 4x3, and 16:9 HD fills the screen.

I could never get any Panny machine to play correctly on this set no matter what setting I chose (16:9 always had the horizontal squash). The best I could do was get the Panny to play in 4x3 letterbox by altering the output from the Dish receiver, which killed the anamorphic output. I need to do a little further testing to see about the flag settings.

Prediction: Brajesh is thirsting for a new toy and will pull the trigger within the next two weeks. :D

Eplay: Even though the edit points changed during high speed dub, in most cases the .5 to 1 second change won't be noticed (unless of course it was an abrubt cut to begin with).

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Quote:
Prediction: Brajesh is thirsting for a new toy and will pull the trigger within the next two weeks. :D
Must resist temptation, must resist temptation :D! Blame AVS Forum, nothing but a bad influence ;). When I put my "be sensible" hat on, I'm not seeing how the 533H is really an upgrade from the E95 though. If I was sure the unit did 16x9 flagging for my miniDV footage, I'd be pushed over the fence. But, the fact that the unit seems to respond quicker/better than Panny's remote, has somewhat better menu templates, supports -DL recordables are all plusses.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DVD-R(W) discs recorded on the Pioneer 533 containing 16:9 material--regardless of using the VR or Video mode--record at 720 x480 4:3.

The crazy thing is (but I'm not complaining) is that the 533 allows the viewing of material from its HDD or DVD-R(W) in anamorphic widescreen. If I record a HD program onto its HDD or a DVD-R(W), the disc will play in anamorphic widescreen on my Sony without any hassles. I don't have to go to "Stretch" or "Zoom" modes.

So if you're sharing discs with another 533 owner, you probably won't need to reset the flag. This seems like somewhat of a paradox, but it's the way it is. :confused:

·
Registered
580 Posts
"This leads me to believe the Pioneer needs to recode a "Frame Accurate" program in order to create a disc with accurate edit points. That is the reason a Frame Accurate recording cannot be dubbed accurately at hight speed."

My Panny E100 was perfect for this. I could do fram accurate points and delete the content in between and still high speed dub. In addition, we can't do frame accurate chapter markers whereas my E100 did. Why is this? It's going to be tough editing out and making nice transitions with commercials for TV shows. I'm playing with the 533 and really am getting bothered by this especically the fact that I can't add chapter markers on the full view screen and would have to go to the edit menu to do this. Wish I kept my E100

1. Also, what's this "genre" stuff in the edit menu? Haven't figured that one out yet.

2. Multi mode & single mode in the edit menu?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbhoha
1. Also, what's this "genre" stuff in the edit menu? Haven't figured that one out yet.

2. Multi mode & single mode in the edit menu?
I'm puzzled by this, as well. Can anyone elaborate on this?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFoley
I'm puzzled by this, as well. Can anyone elaborate on this?
Yeah, the genre is way to group like program material so that it will be easier to find on the HDD. I think you select a genre with a left arrow from the initial edit menu. I haven't tried it, but the concept is similar to folders on a PC.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.